Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Tsw

Alavastre
07.22.2013 , 08:20 AM | #1
The Secret World.
For a free MMO, it's rather enjoyable and different. Nothing earth shattering here, but the oddness of it gives it a great feel.

Anyone else play it? Or gave it a shot? I got it when it released but SWTOR pulled me in. Now as I wait for FFXIV:ARR and SWTOR has lost some of my interest, I decided to give it a go, and rather enjoyed it. I mean, having to actually think and solve a puzzle was kind of fun for a change.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Jandi
07.22.2013 , 09:52 PM | #2
It's an awesome game but like so many MMO's these days, there's just nothing to actually keep you playing.

TheBBP
07.22.2013 , 11:37 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Jandi View Post
It's an awesome game but like so many MMO's these days, there's just nothing to actually keep you playing.
Is good for a distraction then?
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

Jandi
07.23.2013 , 02:13 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Is good for a distraction then?
A short one, yeah. It takes a lot of getting into though as the learning curve is quite steep compared to fisher price games like swtor.

JPryde
07.23.2013 , 02:14 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
The Secret World.
For a free MMO, it's rather enjoyable and different. Nothing earth shattering here, but the oddness of it gives it a great feel.

Anyone else play it? Or gave it a shot? I got it when it released but SWTOR pulled me in. Now as I wait for FFXIV:ARR and SWTOR has lost some of my interest, I decided to give it a go, and rather enjoyed it. I mean, having to actually think and solve a puzzle was kind of fun for a change.
TSW actually made me take a 5 months break from SWTOR last year. Being a roleplay freak, I was absolutely amazed by the way the quests made you work with a combination of puzzles, jump&run, combat and even google-searching.

Unfortunately that place too was completely overrun by mindless idiots (cannot say it any more charming) who were demanding quest help in open channels (which are by the rules to be kept spoiler free!), even if the solution was in the quest text or 3-5 steps away from their feet.

As with all modern MMO, the game was nearly destroyed by a horde of dumb locusts, who were crying "more more more!" a few days after release and who claimed to have "done it all" even when they were not even scratching the surface.

TSW got a solid combat system, a level-less skill system, a limit on 7-8 active skills and another 7-8 passive skills that can be "selected" from the whole pool at any given time. It is possible to play a tanking healer in that game and I do not at all regret having payed a 6 month sub for TSW.

Unfortunately then I was done with the class story, did indeed solve every quest in game at least once (they are almost all repeatable for exp) and my guild was breaking apart... Also I was taking a look at SWTOR again and being an avid StarWars fan, I came back here (which I also do not regret).
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

TheNahash
07.23.2013 , 04:02 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
TSW got a solid combat system, a level-less skill system, a limit on 7-8 active skills and another 7-8 passive skills that can be "selected" from the whole pool at any given time. It is possible to play a tanking healer in that game and I do not at all regret having payed a 6 month sub for TSW..
I agree with the rest of your post except this paragraph.
I assume you're talking about efficiency and not animations when you say "solid combat system", right?
I don't know much about that because I played the game only for a month or so, but to me The Secret World was one of the most disappointing games out there.
The world was awesome. I loved the graphics, special effects and the story, but everything else was downright disappointing.

I found the combat system subpar. The animations were horrendous (it was literally the same simple animation for almost all abilities of the same weapon), it didn't feel like you actually did any damage to the target and (this might be just me but) I hated the "choose only 7 active and 7 passive abilities". I didn't like it in GW2 and I didn't like it in TSW - it just felt so restricting for an MMO that's all about "you can be whatever you want to be".

Then, one of the games' biggest innovations (no leveling) was actually...leveling but in a different way than the rest of MMOs. You still had to grind APs and SPs to get new abilities (which felt a lot like normal leveling just without a number in front of your character name) and certain abilities only unlocked after you'd spent a lot of APs on one part of the Ability Wheel and were always associated with specific weapons. So if you spent time upgrading your current weapon (which makes sense since you invested APs in abilities that required that weapon), grinding again for the APs and SPs for a new part of the ability wheel and a new weapon was like leveling an alt. All in all, yes they tossed the leveling idea, but they didn't really get rid of it. They just presented it in a different way.

I didn't do any PVP so I can't comment on that.

The puzzle quests were amazing, though. Especially the ones you had to use the in-game browser. It felt like I was playing an adventure game, which probably explains why people didn't like them - people don't like using their brains anymore.

To sum up, TSW is a good game but not a mainstream one. It's a niche MMO that people who love Stephen King's novels will enjoy. Unfortunately, Funcome didn't realize that and didn't market it appropriately.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

JPryde
07.23.2013 , 05:02 AM | #7
That's why I said "solid combat system" and not "good combat system". the system works, some like it, others don't. I personally will not ever play TESO because of the combat system... others glorify TESO because of it.

Personally I liked the lass-less approach which allowed to experiment with the skills and I liked to pick a select few. I also like the massive set I got in SWTOR... it is two totally different approaches.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

Alavastre
07.23.2013 , 06:01 AM | #8
Yeah, I think it's an excellent distraction.

SWTOR is a AAA game, then TSW is AA+ game. The animations can be sad. The character models are funked up. As an artist, I know proportion sizes of fictional beings, and TWS has some serious proportion issues. Though, it can be over looked when they have clothing on. It's like they took a real person, and used them for proportions. But it doesn't work as well in drawings, games and graphics.

But, the fact you do have to solve puzzles is fun. The storyline is interesting, if you can get past the, oh hey, we dropped you into this crazy world and it's odd that you haven't freaked out about it yet.

I'm just bringing this up, for people who are burnt out, they may give it a try for a few months.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

TheNahash
07.23.2013 , 07:22 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
The storyline is interesting, if you can get past the, oh hey, we dropped you into this crazy world and it's odd that you haven't freaked out about it yet.
Not to mention the fact that your character doesn't say a word.
I mean you'd think you'd have a lot to say if you were suddenly thrown into a crazy world where every urban legend, conspiracy theory and mythological creature is real, but apparently you have no words. Literally.

I still remember the opening scene for the Illuminati, when you discover your powers and an NPC knocks on your door and starts talking for 10 minutes while you just look at him saying...nothing.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

Alavastre
07.23.2013 , 07:30 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNahash View Post
Not to mention the fact that your character doesn't say a word.
I mean you'd think you'd have a lot to say if you were suddenly thrown into a crazy world where every urban legend, conspiracy theory and mythological creature is real, but apparently you have no words. Literally.

I still remember the opening scene for the Illuminati, when you discover your powers and an NPC knocks on your door and starts talking for 10 minutes while you just look at him saying...nothing.
Haha. Yes. That is weird.

I'm not against the main character not saying anything, as it can break immersion for some. The difference between you are in the game, or are you just playing a character in the game. And I was use to this from the Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross games of my youth! But, it is odd there isn't more of a reaction to finding all of this stuff out. People would freak out, for reals. It would take time to actually accept that world.

That is a hurdle you have to jump over, but it makes little difference as the story goes. I wish there was more to that aspect of story telling, or lack of story telling.