Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Is PVP'ing a "good" way to level up?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes

FrostTrooper
07.22.2013 , 07:20 AM | #1
As the title asks, does pvp'ing give enough xp to be a good way of leveling? I just made level 10 and I'm considering that as a alternate way of leveling since I've run through the planets and even this class story before (I'm running a Jugg now and have a Mara).

I'm not looking for a power leveling option, I'm just asking if pvp'ing would be as "fast" as just going through the class and planet story missions.

AlrikFassbauer
07.22.2013 , 08:19 AM | #2
You level up very fast - but it is also very frustrating, too. *Especially* within the low levels.
As a side-effect, you only learn PvP mechanics, which differ slightly from PvE mechanics. Ask an expert for that.
<S-key to victory> Because quad wheel is always better than dual wheel.

-DSR-
07.22.2013 , 08:22 AM | #3
If you don't do your class story you won't get your companions, so it's a good idea to do that one as well.

FrostTrooper
07.22.2013 , 09:03 AM | #4
I plan on doing my class missions in addition to PvP'ing, but I was thinking about out leveling them so I can blow through them quickly, and easily. What about gear? Do I just convert battle coms into planet coms and get it that way?

As far as mechanics go. I do plan on being a tank, and around lvl 30 or so I will start doing FPs to learn how to tank.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.

frankiejo
07.22.2013 , 12:52 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by FrostTrooper View Post
I plan on doing my class missions in addition to PvP'ing, but I was thinking about out leveling them so I can blow through them quickly, and easily. What about gear? Do I just convert battle coms into planet coms and get it that way?

As far as mechanics go. I do plan on being a tank, and around lvl 30 or so I will start doing FPs to learn how to tank.

Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
PvP levels faster and earns comms faster, especially if you're doing your class missions and space daily's concurrently. Howver you'll find yourself in a situation where the gear you improve won't make a difference in pvp so it's kind of pointless. I tended to update the pieces on my adaptive armor every 10 levels or so, and didn't bother with >50 relics or imps, and had no problem whatsoever.
Bergeron Colony
Khaeldar - Marauder
Beth'adone - Operative
P-Chloride - Sorcerer

Laklakan
07.22.2013 , 02:22 PM | #6
I have been in the same position as you OP, i only did class quests and PVP' ed till i hit the valor cap, which is your level, when that happened i just ran FPs, as a jugg yourself, you should get pretty fast queues with tank role. It is a fun way, but can be really frustrating in low levels as your beloved teammates are just horrible, just try not to rage alot and let it go.

teclado
07.22.2013 , 03:36 PM | #7
Quote:
No, it is not. "Epic slow" is how I would describe it. After having leveled several characters, I PVE only because it levels about 2-3 times faster than pvp. During the last double XP weekend, with an XP boost and some legacy perks, I could gain about 1 level per hour (at lvl 30+) doing PVE. Doing exclusively pvp, under the same conditions (double XP weekend + xp boost + legacy WZ XP perks at same level), it took me 2.5 or 3 hours to gain a single level. Without double XP, you may have to grind 6+ hours to gain a single level via pvp.
Malovo - Marauder | Katolo - Sentinel, Harbinger

Kaisernick
07.23.2013 , 05:08 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by teclado View Post
No, it is not. "Epic slow" is how I would describe it. After having leveled several characters, I PVE only because it levels about 2-3 times faster than pvp. During the last double XP weekend, with an XP boost and some legacy perks, I could gain about 1 level per hour (at lvl 30+) doing PVE. Doing exclusively pvp, under the same conditions (double XP weekend + xp boost + legacy WZ XP perks at same level), it took me 2.5 or 3 hours to gain a single level. Without double XP, you may have to grind 6+ hours to gain a single level via pvp.
did u buy all the character perks that boost your xp gain in warzones?

use them and buying the pvp xp boost things from the gtn will help.

Klyx
07.23.2013 , 08:33 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by FrostTrooper View Post
As the title asks, does pvp'ing give enough xp to be a good way of leveling? I just made level 10 and I'm considering that as a alternate way of leveling since I've run through the planets and even this class story before (I'm running a Jugg now and have a Mara).

I'm not looking for a power leveling option, I'm just asking if pvp'ing would be as "fast" as just going through the class and planet story missions.
As long as you stay in constant WZ queue while doing your class story, and pick up your daily and weekly pvp missions, you shouldn't have a problem. I got my GS to lvl 53 before I finished my class story. You'll also want to do your daily and weekly FP missions also for the extra XP. Find some good Orange Gear, and use WZ comms to buy Planet comms. I usually rotate buying mods/enhancements, and armoring every other odd level, and you can usually pick up green gear for your companion pretty cheap off the GTN to get through the story.

AlrikFassbauer
07.23.2013 , 09:19 AM | #10
Me, I levelled much, much faster by doing my occationalPvP matches. In the end, I was quite a lot of levels over my class missions requirement.
<S-key to victory> Because quad wheel is always better than dual wheel.