Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

what are the 3 changes you need to see in the Merc class?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
what are the 3 changes you need to see in the Merc class?

calithon
07.24.2013 , 03:39 PM | #11
My 3 suggestions:

1.) Reduce the cast time on concussive missile to an instant cast. As it stands now we have one CC (electrodart), the knockback on jet boost is garbage because most times as soon as you use it you are either forcechoked or they just jump right back on you, meaning no separation at all to help survive, and the root on rocket punch is utter crap as it does next to nothing to help me since I have to be in melee range to use it and the root effect wears off while I'm still in range of jumps or other distance closers.

As I said I think this should be an instant cast ability and maybe have an AoE stun effect like flash bang/awe. We all know the name of the game is CC

2.) Add a finishing move, almost every DPS class has some sort of less than 30% health finishing attack, to be on par we should have one as well, rather than watching that healer who is at 12% health heal right back up because HSM and any other hard hitting attack is on CD and tracer takes 1.5 seconds to cast (1.4 if you have that 2% alacrity skill, if you cast faster then why the heck you stacking alacrity? please share.)

3.) Add a proc for an auto crit or a instant refresh on HSM either to compare with sniper's auto refresh on series of shots or the crazy smash autocrit that makes smash monkies so devastating in almost every aspect of the game. Why take a mercenary when you can take along a class that has an autocrit every 20 seconds for insane damage Jumpy Von Jumperson wins that battle of class choice every time.

These are just some ideas, maybe I'll post some others once they decide on this representative, thanks.

kennethdale
07.25.2013 , 04:12 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by calithon View Post
As I said I think this should be an instant cast ability and maybe have an AoE stun effect like flash bang/awe. We all know the name of the game is CC
Definitely agree with you, Mercenaries do not have nearly enough control abilities and it makes it extremely difficult to handle situations when you get rushed by yourself.

Quote:
2.) Add a finishing move, almost every DPS class has some sort of less than 30% health finishing attack, to be on par we should have one as well, rather than watching that healer who is at 12% health heal right back up because HSM and any other hard hitting attack is on CD and tracer takes 1.5 seconds to cast (1.4 if you have that 2% alacrity skill, if you cast faster then why the heck you stacking alacrity? please share.)
While other DPS do have this ability, none of the other Heal/DPS classes do (Sorcerers, Operatives, Mercenaries). The only class in a role that is missing it would actually be PTs as all other Tank/DPS classes do (Assassins and Juggernauts). In the end the best advice is to be sure to save a finisher for that last 12% (about 4k HP) so you could save even be sure to have a Rail Shot or a PS TM to finish them.

Quote:
3.) Add a proc for an auto crit or a instant refresh on HSM either to compare with sniper's auto refresh on series of shots or the crazy smash autocrit that makes smash monkies so devastating in almost every aspect of the game. Why take a mercenary when you can take along a class that has an autocrit every 20 seconds for insane damage Jumpy Von Jumperson wins that battle of class choice every time.
I can only speak about the parses I've seen on TorParse but Series of Shots only makes up about 15% of a Snipers total damage so an Auto Crit for them isn't making that much of a difference. The issue with comparing it to Rage is that in between Smashes there is not a whole lot of damage output (assuming a target of full health) since they cannot Vicious Throw, their Ravage is not buffed at all, their Vicious Strike hits decently hard but its just filler. The better comparison is to Carnage Marauders and the Execute Force Scream which hits between 7-8k on a boss, is usable every 9 seconds but requires a secondary buff (Gore) in order to hit that hard (unbuffed Execute crits for 4.5-5.5k). Now, all that said Mercenaries do actually already have an refresh on our biggest hitting ability: Unload. Unload accounts for ~30% of our DPS and depending on RNG you can be hitting it extremely frequently.

Personally, I believe non-Pure DPS classes should do slightly less damage than pure DPS classes because they can't bring any other utlility where as Mercenaries can (and I have) seen sh*t hit the fan, switch cylinders and heal.

These are just some ideas, maybe I'll post some others once they decide on this representative, thanks.[/QUOTE]
55 Mercenary { Drekevac } rDPS || 55 Marauder { Kryu } mDPS
55 Sorcerer { Jahaerys } Heal
55 Juggernaut { Caryu } Tank || 55 Assassin { Vellys } Tank

Knopik
07.25.2013 , 09:31 PM | #13
My top concern for damage in PVE is somehow normalizing unload procs. I have no idea as to how...maybe give other abilities to proc barrage, idk. But as of now, too much of our dps relies on good barrage procs in my opinion.

2nd was to shorten electro net cooldown to 1 minute

3rd i'll leave up to you all

DarkForster
07.25.2013 , 10:20 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Knopik View Post
My top concern for damage in PVE is somehow normalizing unload procs. I have no idea as to how...maybe give other abilities to proc barrage, idk. But as of now, too much of our dps relies on good barrage procs in my opinion.

^ This
Increase the % chance from 45 to 55? in the skill tree, as is my merc dps is more based on luck than skill for top #'s vs my sniper.

3. improve set bonus back to something along the lines of 2 set = 15% crit to TM and reduction of rail shot cost by 8 and 4 set keep +8% damage to rail shot.

kennethdale
07.25.2013 , 10:45 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Knopik View Post

I agree but what else would you have proc it? Rapid shots? lol there isn't a whole lot in our rotation so maybe just "On Damaging abilities"? Though that would mean that Unload could proc Barrage. I definitely agree though, I have had times where I'm just proc starved and its terrible.
55 Mercenary { Drekevac } rDPS || 55 Marauder { Kryu } mDPS
55 Sorcerer { Jahaerys } Heal
55 Juggernaut { Caryu } Tank || 55 Assassin { Vellys } Tank

Knopik
07.25.2013 , 11:14 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by kennethdale View Post
I agree but what else would you have proc it? Rapid shots? lol there isn't a whole lot in our rotation so maybe just "On Damaging abilities"? Though that would mean that Unload could proc Barrage. I definitely agree though, I have had times where I'm just proc starved and its terrible.
Well, the list could be extended to missile blast (on the move) and they could increase the percentage of it. Sometimes that 45% feels like 4.5% where I go a full MINUTE without barrage procs. It's ridiculous. It's never 45% among my parses. The lucky ones are 45+ percent, rest of the time it's less. Just...maybe take out the RNG factor of it.
Like someone said with sniper, their main damaging ability, follow through, is not on a proc. Nothing snipers do procs a high damage ability, everything is on a cooldown and very neatly organized.
Leaving mercs with their highest damage ability being RNG is retarded.

Surbatu
07.26.2013 , 08:38 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by kennethdale View Post
Each Target Lock increases proc chance for 5%.

odawgg
07.26.2013 , 11:02 AM | #18
Just remember I think the Devs want 'questions' rather than suggestions...so in people's ideas we should try to preface any suggestions with a question or phrase the suggestion as a question

i.e. for Merc - Arsenal:

- Why does this spec have such heavy RNG, would you consider increasing the proc rate of barrage in any way?
- Why have you changed the 4pc eliminator set bonus away from helping with heat management, isn't there another way to balance pyrotech spec without a QoL debuff?

MVaglin
07.26.2013 , 11:57 AM | #19
The main change I think we need is some sort of interrupt immunity in pvp. For instance, an unload with barrage procced should be uniterruptible and immune to pushback.

I'd also like to see the set bonus restored to the old one.

And I'd like us to get an execute style ability.

But to put it all in questions:

1: Mercenaries struggle in pvp because they can be fairly easy shut down by an opponent that knows what they're doing (better now, but the problem still exists). S why are mercenaries the only ranged class without access to some sort of interrupt immunity? Snipers have it all the time (in cover) and Sorcerers have it through a cooldown, why are mercenaries singled out to not have that ability?

2: Odawwg's question is fine here

3: Why doesn't Mercenaries have any sort of execute ability or other damage boost on targets below 30%?

All fairly DPS focused questions, but simply because I don't play enough as a merc healer to know what needs to be discussed there. Though our class representative need to be mindful about the healing communties questions as well.
http://www.thecircle-guild.com

Akash - Operative Monzcarro - Mercenary
Erekose - Marauder Shatiro - Assassin

Pyrotech Mercenary PvE Guide

Knopik
07.26.2013 , 12:21 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by MVaglin View Post

1: Mercenaries struggle in pvp because they can be fairly easy shut down by an opponent that knows what they're doing (better now, but the problem still exists). S why are mercenaries the only ranged class without access to some sort of interrupt immunity? Snipers have it all the time (in cover) and Sorcerers have it through a cooldown, why are mercenaries singled out to not have that ability?
I like this for pvp. Having interrupt-immunity would definitely help merc not being so easily shut down in pvp.

Quote: Originally Posted by MVaglin View Post
3: Why doesn't Mercenaries have any sort of execute ability or other damage boost on targets below 30%?
This is a good point. I know pure dps classes have executes, but so do juggernaughts and assassins, which both can tank OR dps. I would like this answered/remedied if possible at all

Odawgg's questions mirrored what I was thinking.