Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

the pvp arenas looks...pretty great

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
the pvp arenas looks...pretty great
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Reno_Tarshil
07.19.2013 , 12:46 PM | #71
So how about those chat bub- *shot*

TheNahash
07.19.2013 , 12:49 PM | #72
Quote: Originally Posted by Reno_Tarshil View Post
So how about those chat bub- *shot*
...and he was never seen again.
Master Kalchas Captain Santé
Darth Dírge Agent Héretic

Felioats
07.19.2013 , 02:07 PM | #73
PvP arena without an objective to fight over? Disappointing.

When that happened in WoW, maybe it was the removal of all other factors in battle and the way direct comparisons became more unavoidable or the way battle just became more personal, but there was a marked and dramatic increase in vitriolic balance arguments on the forums.
>

Aries_cz
07.19.2013 , 02:32 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
PvP arena without an objective to fight over? Disappointing.

When that happened in WoW, maybe it was the removal of all other factors in battle and the way direct comparisons became more unavoidable or the way battle just became more personal, but there was a marked and dramatic increase in vitriolic balance arguments on the forums.
PvP arenas with objectives are called Warzones, just saying. You cannot win WZ by pure deathmatch. In arena, deatmatch is the goal
Member of Beast Riders, Tomb of Freedon Nadd (EU-PvP)
Without the darkness, how would we recognize the light?
Aries, admin of Czech/Slovak fansite SW-TOR.cz
Check out my story videos or support me by clicking my Referral Link

Slurmez
07.19.2013 , 03:50 PM | #75
If there is no real objective the arenas will fail, ilum was a failure, smugglers den was a failure, when they tried to mix it up in ilum with the gree event pvp was a failure. You cant sandbox pvp without a purpose, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.

Alec_Fortescue
07.19.2013 , 03:55 PM | #76
I dream of 2 v 2 arenas.

Btw, I just have to say it: Modny means "fashionable" in my language

DarthOvertone
07.19.2013 , 04:00 PM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
In such a small, intimate area, LoS and other geometry concerns are valid, but I can assure you that we are adjusting the LoS blockers and general terrain on these on a daily basis to make sure we get them juuuuust right for all parties involved, not just melee and ranged DPS. Sometimes there is just too much LoS for the healers and they can't get off their support abilities because their friendly targets are weaving their way through all the blockers. Point being, it is a balancing act and we are iterating on it every day!
Well this is great to hear Alex. My initial reaction upon seeing the new Arena maps was also that they would be a melee paradise.

I think the new maps look pretty solid. Big enough to allow movement and angles, but small enough to maintain an emphasis on the action. Love the idea that there will be Baron Deathmark voice-overs. lol

I really like the addition of Arenas to SWTOR. However, I believe their long-term success truly depends on an effective Matchmaking System being in place when players/teams queue. Will there be an effective Matchmaking System in the new Arenas?

Thank you for your feedback. Great to hear from a PvP Dev.
Alphabolt - Alphanoob - Alphawood - Garbage S1 Champion
The Bastion - #1 Stronk PvP Server
SWTOR 3.0: All Hail Maintenance Mode PvP!!

JPryde
07.19.2013 , 04:14 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Slurmez View Post
If there is no real objective the arenas will fail, ilum was a failure, smugglers den was a failure, when they tried to mix it up in ilum with the gree event pvp was a failure. You cant sandbox pvp without a purpose, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting different results.
Wouldn't the objective be pretty obvious ? Kill the other team... any kind of reason to do so is just vain anyway.
Just pretend the opposing team consists of 4 wookiee... who would need any more reason to wipe them out?
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !

DarthOvertone
07.19.2013 , 04:16 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
You clearly have good forum mojo.
That's because we know Alex is on our side. He's not a suit like McLean. We're PvPers, we don't trust suits.

Quote: Originally Posted by Felioats View Post
Nobody here cares about WoW. I'm totally down for TDMing. It's what most of the scrubs do in WZs anyway. However, you could just continue being Objective Guy, queuing up for WZs all night if you want, and not miss a thing.
Alphabolt - Alphanoob - Alphawood - Garbage S1 Champion
The Bastion - #1 Stronk PvP Server
SWTOR 3.0: All Hail Maintenance Mode PvP!!

MisterBlackJack
07.19.2013 , 05:54 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by MandFlurry View Post
I think it would be awesome to have 16vs16, but I don't see that happening soon. Plush they would have to make the WZs maps bigger.
The other issue that I believe Bioware has addressed as well, is massive server lag when too many players are in close proximity to one another. We have to come to terms that part of the reason for the lack of large scale pvp is the limitation of this modified hero engine.
THE FORCE FIGHTS WITH ME.....IN THE C.E. V.I.P LOUNGE