Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Real Most Powerful Starfighter

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The Real Most Powerful Starfighter

StarSquirrel
07.18.2013 , 03:23 PM | #21
I'd actually agree to the X-wing (preferably the more advanced GA versions) as #1 though I'm a big fan of the TIE Defender. I'd also say TIE Avenger is a good #2.

My #3 though would definitely be the TIE Defender over the ARC. It has arguably greater versatility and agility than the ARC while having a single pilot on a traditionally fear-inspiring frame. The ion cannons, hyperdrives, versatile weapon bays, I'd say the Defender is an amazing tool for a vast assortment of missions and it is still rugged enough to decimate enemy fighters in a fleet action as well. TIE Defenders are also notoriously difficult for X-wing pilots to bring down and put one in the hands of Rouge Squadron...

Some contenders I'd suggest (though not sure where exactly they'd go). E-wing, TIE Phantom, TIE Advanced, and Chiss Clawcraft.
"Being abandoned to my enemies, abandoned by one for whom I once had considerable affection and respect, was like being murdered…and surviving."
-Darth Caedus

tunewalker
07.18.2013 , 03:30 PM | #22
I also want to suggest the K-wing. Thought it may be considered a bomber with how its load out was..... nearly endlessly modifiable with insane load outs.

AlexDougherty
07.19.2013 , 03:08 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by StarSquirrel View Post
I'd actually agree to the X-wing (preferably the more advanced GA versions) as #1 though I'm a big fan of the TIE Defender. I'd also say TIE Avenger is a good #2.

My #3 though would definitely be the TIE Defender over the ARC. It has arguably greater versatility and agility than the ARC while having a single pilot on a traditionally fear-inspiring frame. The ion cannons, hyperdrives, versatile weapon bays, I'd say the Defender is an amazing tool for a vast assortment of missions and it is still rugged enough to decimate enemy fighters in a fleet action as well. TIE Defenders are also notoriously difficult for X-wing pilots to bring down and put one in the hands of Rouge Squadron...

Some contenders I'd suggest (though not sure where exactly they'd go). E-wing, TIE Phantom, TIE Advanced, and Chiss Clawcraft.
Yes but the B-wing was always more powerful than the X-wing, whenever they updated the X-wing, they also updated the B-wing. The Mon Calamari who designed it insisted that it be kept up to date, and it was easier for the Republic to agree than have endless discussions. So the B-wing is always ahead of the X-wing.

That said I do prefer the X-wing to the B-wing aesthetically.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

TalonVII
07.19.2013 , 07:37 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Yes but the B-wing was always more powerful than the X-wing, whenever they updated the X-wing, they also updated the B-wing. The Mon Calamari who designed it insisted that it be kept up to date, and it was easier for the Republic to agree than have endless discussions. So the B-wing is always ahead of the X-wing.

That said I do prefer the X-wing to the B-wing aesthetically.
B wing had more powerful armaments, yes, but was actually more fragile due to how the cockpit worked, plus it was FAR less maneuverable. It was there more to replace the Y-wing as a fighter bomber than replace the X-wing as a Superiority fighter.

I think we've spoken my list probably 2-5 for now is going to be:

2. TIE Defender
3. TIE Avenger
4. E-Wing
5. B-wing

how say you all?
Pretty, so what do we blow up first? -Wraith Squadron Motto
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy
Finished: Trooper, Agent, Knight

AlexDougherty
07.19.2013 , 08:29 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonVII View Post
B wing had more powerful armaments, yes, but was actually more fragile due to how the cockpit worked, plus it was FAR less maneuverable. It was there more to replace the Y-wing as a fighter bomber than replace the X-wing as a Superiority fighter.

I think we've spoken my list probably 2-5 for now is going to be:

2. TIE Defender
3. TIE Avenger
4. E-Wing
5. B-wing

how say you all?
Fair enough about the X-wing, the other positions sound good, I did like the E-wing, it looked unusual but cool in the graphic novels (or comics as I call them).
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

Aximand
07.19.2013 , 11:58 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by LadyKulvax View Post
Canonically though the Avenger was superior to the X-wing in all but one way, it wasn't as modifiable due to size difference and the X-wing therefore had a bigger and thus better hyperdrive, beyond that though, the Avenger makes the X-wing look as old as it really is.
I see your Avenger and raise you the TIE/D Defender.

Edit: Awe, too late.
I'm not mean, you're just a sissy.
The Orange Pixel is the REAL Sith Emperor
I don't need luck, I've got ammo - Urdnot Grunt
Remember 4/22/2011. A day that shall live in infamy.

StarSquirrel
07.19.2013 , 12:48 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Aximand View Post
I see your Avenger and raise you the TIE/D Defender.

Edit: Awe, too late.
Hehe, yeah I had to do it. Defender is by far my favorite.
"Being abandoned to my enemies, abandoned by one for whom I once had considerable affection and respect, was like being murdered…and surviving."
-Darth Caedus

TalonVII
07.19.2013 , 02:55 PM | #28
ok open nominations for #6.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

TalonVII
07.19.2013 , 02:57 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Fair enough about the X-wing, the other positions sound good, I did like the E-wing, it looked unusual but cool in the graphic novels (or comics as I call them).
Well you have to remember, X-wing has been upgraded so many times by the time it got to the XJ5/7, it could smack around a Tie D, without breaking a sweat. Why I have it as number 1.
Ebon Hawk
Skiratta Legacy

StarSquirrel
07.19.2013 , 03:12 PM | #30
Nominate Chiss Clawcraft or Predator-class fighter for #6,

Which is better is up for debate.
-Darth Caedus