Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

New Cartel Coins tax policy?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
New Cartel Coins tax policy?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Srual
07.16.2013 , 08:08 PM | #1
Just got off the phone with customer service in regards to why I'm consistently paying $20.15 for $19.99 worth of Cartel Coins. If you've initiated some kind of new tax policy, that's fine, but at least inform us on the page where you purchase Coins AND fix the payment history to tell us how much tax was added. So far I see nothing that says anything about this and my payment history says $0.00 for tax. This totally threw off my checking account and I'd appreciate SOME solution.

Srual
07.17.2013 , 12:25 PM | #2
Bump. This needs to be addressed

Bronholz
07.17.2013 , 04:21 PM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings Srual,

Thanks for reporting this to us.

Online purchases are subject to sales tax in some states. This is most likely the reason that the price is different.

We had some questions about this with subscriptions before, and you can find more information by looking at the post here.

Thank you.
Bronholz | BioWare Customer Service Forum Support

MSchuyler
07.17.2013 , 05:23 PM | #4
I'm not understanding why this "threw off your checking account." The receipt I rec'd on my purchase CLEARLY shows a sales tax amount. The states are running the show here, not Bioware, and as is shows above, the issue has come up before and been addressed before.

Srual
07.18.2013 , 11:17 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MSchuyler View Post
I'm not understanding why this "threw off your checking account." The receipt I rec'd on my purchase CLEARLY shows a sales tax amount. The states are running the show here, not Bioware, and as is shows above, the issue has come up before and been addressed before.
Because I didn't see a sales tax amount anywhere. Not on the site, not from my bank. Just a higher amount than I thought I paid for. I bought Cartel Coins for like a month before I realized what was going on. Those few cents add up.

EDIT: Plus, the guy I talked to on the phone said that this is something new that happened early this year. I may have completely missed it (not likely) but I didn't see any general announcement.

Rankyn
07.18.2013 , 01:26 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Srual View Post
EDIT: Plus, the guy I talked to on the phone said that this is something new that happened early this year. I may have completely missed it (not likely) but I didn't see any general announcement.
Businesses don't make sales tax announcements... you'd want to check with your local and state government for changes to their tax laws.

nicosand
07.18.2013 , 02:34 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Srual View Post
Because I didn't see a sales tax amount anywhere. Not on the site, not from my bank. Just a higher amount than I thought I paid for. I bought Cartel Coins for like a month before I realized what was going on. Those few cents add up.

If you think those few cents add up, check this out, I have to pay several dollars more, almost 10 dollars infact more, here i norway for the biggest pack of coins then what my mates in the UK does.... THAT adds up...

Mundako
07.18.2013 , 11:21 PM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Just an idea here, but could it be the case that the additional 16 cents are maybe some kind of credit/debit card or transaction charge? I was really wondering which state would ever add 0.8% taxes on digital purchases?
Mundako | Bioware Customer Service - Forum Support

Srual
07.19.2013 , 09:41 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Mundako View Post
Just an idea here, but could it be the case that the additional 16 cents are maybe some kind of credit/debit card or transaction charge? I was really wondering which state would ever add 0.8% taxes on digital purchases?
Interesting, hadn't thought of that. I'm getting paid this weekend so when I run my check in I could ask my bank about that. Thank you for the suggestion.

Nightside
07.19.2013 , 12:17 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Bronholz View Post
Greetings Srual,

Thanks for reporting this to us.

Online purchases are subject to sales tax in some states. This is most likely the reason that the price is different.

We had some questions about this with subscriptions before, and you can find more information by looking at the post here.

Thank you.
Why do i get tax in canada on my subscription when we dont have virtual tax yet ?