Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Getting a SWTOR CPU (Suggestions Needed!)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Getting a SWTOR CPU (Suggestions Needed!)

Freezeed
07.16.2013 , 07:06 PM | #1
Hello everyone! I apologize if the title gave you the wrong idea, I didn't know what to call it.
Anyways, the point is I'm looking to buy a new computer. A laptop, a PC, whatever.
I would like all of you to post one of several different things that would help me in the comments. Here is a list:

Tips on what kind of a Computer to buy (Specs, etc.)
Tell me what kind of Computers to buy that have a good FPS while running SWTOR, with a link.
Tell me what FPS with that your SWTOR gets, and what Computer specs you have.
Post a link to another forum discussion that would help me.

There are a few other things that would really help me, but this is off the top of my head.

All I ask is that if you suggest a computer that it be under 1000 USD. I'm on a budget.

Thanks!
Bastila: "On which planet were you born?" Revan: "Kashyyyk. I'm a Wookiee. Can't you tell?"

shonenjumpstyle
07.18.2013 , 04:55 AM | #2
I have a Windows 7 PC with an AMD quad-core processor and 6 gigs of RAM. I have an Nvidia Geforce GT630 which has about 2 gigs of dedicated memory. All of this cost a little over 300 dollars a few years ago except for the graphics card which cost around 50. I run SWTOR on the highest possible settings very smoothly despite my supposedly weak computer. Also able to run Skyrim on Ultra with the high res packs smoothly if that helps. Not sure about my FPS as I don;t use Fraps.

Atramar
07.18.2013 , 05:21 AM | #3
intel 2700k, 8 gb ram 1600 mhz, nvidia gtx 560Ti and 2 SSD drives (one for system, one for 'harder' games) and one big sata drive for 'slower' games and data, works like a charm.
can probably save on ram, 4 gb should be enouth if you will not run anything in a background (I have 3gb spare on virtual box mini server I do development on from home that runs while I play - doesn't make a difference) you should complete that set with your 1k$ budget I think.

definetly don't go laptops, I mean my i3 370m intel, gtx 410m 4gb ram laptop was playable, but meh...
Tracer Legacy, The Red Eclipse.
Not reading colored text, it hurts my eyes. Sorry (unless it's a dev post)
L55:Sniper,Operative,Juggernaut,Assassin,Marauder, Powertech,Guardian,Commando,Scoundrel
to finish:Shadow(41),Sage(53),Merc(39). 29.07.2013

NicAX
07.18.2013 , 05:33 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by shonenjumpstyle View Post
Not sure about my FPS as I don;t use Fraps.
Just a tip, you can use the games built in FPS meter, just press Ctrl + Shift + F and it will appear in the lower left corner of the game window.

BiscuitPhan
07.18.2013 , 08:44 AM | #5
Just got a new computer a week ago, here it is:

http://www.digitalstormonline.com/co....asp?id=843036

Previously used a non-gaming laptop (integrated graphics card) and while the game worked, it was...less than optimal. <1 FPS in warzones during intense combat, 16 man ops the same. Every setting on as low as possible.

This one is a little more than $1k, it came to about $1,150 with shipping, but it is absolutely unbelievable. Now my previous expectations were low, since I was used to the bare minimum, and now SWTOR is like watching a movie. Everything maxed, playing on a 26" tv, over 100 FPS while doing random stuff, fluctuations of 60ish during warzones and 16 man ops, the only bit of lag I get is when I speeder around the fleet by the GTN section, and that is only for a millisecond. Before I would speeder to the GTN section and could go make a sandwich before my character was usable.

Basically, enjoy the upgrade. Never realized how much fun it is messing with your characters look too, since before I couldn't actually see the details.

Dismayven
07.18.2013 , 09:44 AM | #6
I use an Asus gaming laptop which i got 3 years. I bought it before this game came out exclusively to play this game. I have had 0 problems in the last 3 years and it runs SWTOR on max settings without any problems. next laptop i get will also be an asus.

Freezeed
07.20.2013 , 04:45 PM | #7
Thank you for all of your replies! let me give you a little info about my situation: I have about 15 FPS on the lowest possible settings, except shaders is on low instead of very low. 15 is a rough count, sometimes it being 10, and outdoors on tatooine and hoth being around 17-20.

I know there's something on the computer that allows me to look at specs, but I forget how. can someone post a tip?
Bastila: "On which planet were you born?" Revan: "Kashyyyk. I'm a Wookiee. Can't you tell?"

Freezeed
07.27.2013 , 12:33 PM | #8
Bumpity bump bump.

DarkDisturbed
07.27.2013 , 12:56 PM | #9
Would you be willing to learn/able to build your own computer? If so, I could create a part list that would destroy SWTOR no problem with your budget.

Edit: also you can download "Speccy" to get a good list of your computer specs.

Count_Haake
07.28.2013 , 05:56 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Freezeed View Post
Thank you for all of your replies! let me give you a little info about my situation: I have about 15 FPS on the lowest possible settings, except shaders is on low instead of very low. 15 is a rough count, sometimes it being 10, and outdoors on tatooine and hoth being around 17-20.
So your shadow settings aren't at ultra-low? Turning shadows off/to the lowest possible setting usually is one of the first things you do to improve performance and thus FPS ;-)