Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Dual-Spec: The Necessary (VERY Necessary) Evil

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Dual-Spec: The Necessary (VERY Necessary) Evil

Caern's Avatar


Caern
12.21.2011 , 11:54 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MajinUltima View Post
Guess you missed the "RPG" part of MMORPG and the heavy Story-focus of TOR. My character's story is about him and his companions, not about begging in General chat for people to quest with because I want to be able to heal properly in group content.

Questing tends to be designed around people being self-sufficient, so it is expected I should not be at a substantial disadvantage if I want to also be able to serve a specific role in a group.
Hardly. I play on an RP server. But roleplaying is not the same as writing a novel. I don't know how people assosciate the two. Roleplaying is simply acting as if you were someone else. You can't pre-write everything in a roleplaying game. Your story emerges as you play it. Make some additional friends, is all I'm saying.

Games that have strong legacies and are remembered fondly (EQ) are the ones that get players to work together. Games that allow a person to play the whole thing alone are not well remembered and people are always chomping at the bit for something better to come along.

Godsfear's Avatar


Godsfear
12.21.2011 , 11:55 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by owenthorn View Post
no no and no, that idea that I want a toon that can do everything is messing up the game play, choose your path, and live it
I totally agree. Bioware should punish players for playing their class.

If BW was smart they would realize that punishing players and taking away the "fun" out of theory crafting and experimentation is always a good idea.

Please BW for the love of God don't allow experimentation with specs. Punish players for having fun and you'll get a great game.

Thanks for reading this stupid post.


Dual spec should have been built in 6 months ago

imtrick's Avatar


imtrick
12.21.2011 , 11:55 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by blubomber View Post
Being reliant on others and dual speccing are 2 different concepts. What if they want a pvp dps spec, and a pve healing spec? All not having one does limit people from playing different roles they may enjoy.
This is something of a bogus argument. People can play a PVP DPS spec and a PVE healing spec with the current setup. There are 8 character slots per server.
Taint & Rough Trade - tart.enjin.com
------Casual and Hard-Core, 18+ GLBT Sith & Republic Guilds------
Part of the game-spanning Rough Trade Gaming Community

Swarna's Avatar


Swarna
12.21.2011 , 11:56 AM | #24
From beta posts that I have seen, there were people who swore they leveled FASTER as a healer/tank by making liberal of their companions. They tended to gear up their damage dealing companions IN ADDITION to themselves and had less downtime in comparison to if they were a damage dealing class.

Kanharn's Avatar


Kanharn
12.21.2011 , 11:57 AM | #25
Noobs who cant play there class always want duel spec.
Leader of The Alliance Union, Pre-launch Guild, Bloodworthy EU.

VicSkimmr's Avatar


VicSkimmr
12.21.2011 , 11:58 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kanharn View Post
Noobs who cant play there class always want duel spec.
Your logic is infallible.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Dekadez's Avatar


Dekadez
12.21.2011 , 11:59 AM | #27
I disagree.

There are a sufficient amount of AC's with a Healing or Tanking specialization. It encourages those who want to play those scarce roles to do their homework, prepare, know what they are doing. It also provides a more balanced MMO population, due to a lesser abundance of DPS.

With Dual Spec, you're getting uneducated players that cause wipes. You're getting undergeared offspec players to cause wipes. You're getting such a massive amount of DPS that grouping will be nigh impossible (Because nearly everyone likes to DPS more than to Tank or Heal). And you're defeating the purpose of the Gunslinger/Sentinel/Marauder/Sniper. When Dual Spec arrives, we've seen a drop of pure DPS classes being used in raids, especially when Bioware plans to balance DPS around the same numbers.

Why take the Sniper, when you can have the Operative who does about the same DPS, and can Heal when things go wrong?

Exactly. No incentive at all to take that pure class along. None.

Trolltar's Avatar


Trolltar
12.21.2011 , 11:59 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by VicSkimmr View Post
Your logic is infallible.
Lol. "The cadet's logic is sound"
Merkavah:MEMBER
PAXDOMINUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

Skiveron's Avatar


Skiveron
12.21.2011 , 12:00 PM | #29
I doubt most of the nerds who play this game will agree with dual spec, even though its a convenient feature, cause its too much like WoW. Same reason they do not want LFD.

DirtyScience's Avatar


DirtyScience
12.21.2011 , 12:00 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Kanharn View Post
Noobs who cant play there class always want duel spec.
Cool grammar train wreck, you must be right.
Steam: Bause
Beta, Founder, Collection Edition sucker, ect.