Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dual-Spec: The Necessary (VERY Necessary) Evil

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Dual-Spec: The Necessary (VERY Necessary) Evil

MajinUltima
12.21.2011 , 11:48 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by owenthorn View Post
no no and no, that idea that I want a toon that can do everything is messing up the game play, choose your path, and live it
--What "do everything"? I'm not sure what role you play, probably just DPS who doesn't have a difficult time finding groups currently because there's a LOT of people leveling and Healing/Tanking can be done at lower levels without a heavy investment in Skills or Gear.

But have you considered higher level experience? Have you considered when content becomes more challenging and requires people be fully proficient at their roles that people aren't going to be able to do any role half-way, they're going to have to do a much more legitimate job at focusing on it?

Even if all you did was DPS all day long, have you just considered you may want to do so in completely different ways in PVE vs PVP? Things you may be good at in one may not transition over as well to the other. So when you say "doing everything messes up the game play", I'm not talking about doing everything, I'm talking about having a small choice because people perform differently in different situations... rather than forcing someone to do exactly 1 thing in all situations in a way that doesn't pan out the same.

gloryhunterprime
12.21.2011 , 11:48 AM | #12
The reason that I support Dual-Specing is that it is saddening to see (as a tank) that there is a lack of a specific role (Heals/Tanks or God forbid DPS) on a server in a certain level range having only one spec drastically increases time it takes to form said groups.

In addition, the goal of this game is to be story driven and if I want to play a Vanguard DPS and a Vanguard Tank I should not have to redo the same story 2 twice. It just adds an unnecessary grind to a game that already take supposedly around 200 hrs to hit max level.

Trolltar
12.21.2011 , 11:49 AM | #13
There have been some threads lately on the lack of healers in the game. There have also been tons of threats of posts that are against dual spec.

I wonder how many people are complaining about the possibility of dual speccing while also complaining about a lack of healers.

Personally, I'd be more willing to roll a healer if there was dual speccing. I'm having no problems leveling in a tank spec, but I don't know that I'm willing to give it a go in a healing spec.
Merkavah:MEMBER
PAXDOMINUS
Website | Recruitment Thread

Elross
12.21.2011 , 11:51 AM | #14
I think the only 'Must' in dual speccing (i.e. the only really good argument for it) is having a PVE spec and a PVP spec. I think that allowing players to be automatically switched to their PVP spec when they enter the PVP games (not world PVP) would be a good idea and allow people to enjoy PVPing.

I don't think the game needs to have a dual spec that allows players in PVE to constantly change class skills though.

btw, I do not play PVP and only play PVE as a Scoundrel Healer and yea, it can really suck when I am out in the wilderness alone, but that is what Companions are for.

Casil
12.21.2011 , 11:53 AM | #15
At the end of the day, it's a quality of life issue. We already have unlimited respecs (assuming you have the credits), so it's just a matter of how much tedium should be involved to switch skill points around.

Personally, I'd like to see the Guild Wars version of respecs, where I can swap out my points at will at no spec at any rest zone. Ideally, we'd also be able to save a number specs and associated hotbars so we don't have to waste time rejigging the hotbars every time you go from healing to dps.
Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.

truedark
12.21.2011 , 11:53 AM | #16
Actually you are wrong about corruption. I've specced in madness and I've had a damn hard time fighting mobs even with my companion. I specced in corruption in beta and had an easier time fighting mobs because I could heal myself more and cast static barrier a lot quicker with ionization *********** me.
CE VIP

BattleCorgi
12.21.2011 , 11:53 AM | #17
I think dual specs would ruin the immersion factor of the game. I felt the same way at first after playing Rift but getting more into the game I like the consistent feel of the character during the whole thing. No POOF I'm a healer.. POOF I'm a warrior! POOF... I'm a whatever.

VicSkimmr
12.21.2011 , 11:54 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by owenthorn View Post
no no and no, that idea that I want a toon that can do everything is messing up the game play, choose your path, and live it
enjoy waiting forever to find healers and tanks then.

luckily they've said multiple times that dual spec is something they want to implement post launch
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Axxtasy
12.21.2011 , 11:54 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSwamper View Post
I've been gaming for decades, and I've never agreed that dual-specs are necessary.

In the end, what every demand for them comes down to is "I want my ONE character to be able to fill MORE THAN ONE role."

You simply need to create more than one character. What every one of these requests is asking for is the need to not have to create and level a second character, which I do not agree is something the game should provide.

At the very least, dual-spec is most certainly not necessary, just a convenient time-saver.
Again, you can't see the forest for the trees. Are you suggesting that I should roll one PvP toon and one PvE toon? Really?

Frostvein
12.21.2011 , 11:54 AM | #20
I don't know if dual spec is necessarily the answer, maybe a cap or limit to the amount of gold spec changing costs.

I also feel like limiting advanced classes is both a good and bad idea. People tend to complain less about other classes when they have first hand experience with them.