Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dual-Spec: The Necessary (VERY Necessary) Evil

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Dual-Spec: The Necessary (VERY Necessary) Evil

MajinUltima
12.21.2011 , 11:25 AM | #1
Loving the game, mad props to the whole SWTOR team, not here to discuss the few other technical issues like servers and such. What I am here to discuss is the grave necessity for a second Skill pane to be able to swap to.

*Keep in mind: I only mean that a Sorcerer can only make a second Sorcerer tree, the first can focus on Corruption and the second on Lightning, for example.

There's a few issues that inhibit player experience due to the absence of a second Skill spec to swap to...

- Healing: As noted above in the Sorcerer example (and my current main), investing talents especially at mid levels in Corruption severely inhibits your strength when questing around in PvE. As content becomes more complex and difficult, this creates a stronger division. Without Corruption talents, you are not a reliable healer for group content... and without Lightning/Madness talents, you have a considerably more challenging time when soloing with your companion.

- Tanking: Not sure how drastic the discrepancy may be here, but it does seem to be minor, so I'm only going to make note of this.

- PVP: There's a number of talents or even a Skill tree which may suit PVP play more than PVE play. At max level especially, when people begin running Operations and PVPing at max level more regularly, players are going to find discrepancies between which Skills they're going to want to use for each. A player may want to Heal/Tank for their friends in Operations, but want to be more damage oriented in PVP play... or a player may be great at dishing damage against bosses, but prefer to play a support role in PVP combat.

As I myself currently am maining a Sorcerer, it was very hard to quest before I did a Skill respec away from healing talents, but now I am inadequate as a healer in groups. This forces a very un-fun decision on my gameplay, where I must choose between my questing or my ability to support others. I am certain many other players (especially in healing-capable classes) are feeling a similar pressure.

DirtyScience
12.21.2011 , 11:28 AM | #2
As long as the dual spec is within the advance class, I don't see a problem with it. Would be nice to be fully efficient in both PvE and PvP with my guardian.
Steam: Bause
Beta, Founder, Collection Edition sucker, ect.

Caern
12.21.2011 , 11:32 AM | #3
I think nescessary is too strong of a word.

I also think it's a bit absurd that in a massively multiplayer game, a game specifically designed around you playing with other people, that anyone can truly say they *need* to be completely self-reliant.

Make friends. Have fun. And I hope the game weeds out the people who just absolutely refuse to make friends. There are all kinds of other games for those people. MMOs like this should do the exact opposite and encourage social bonding.

redbul
12.21.2011 , 11:37 AM | #4
I second this. Even if you want to play ONLY a tank or ONLY a healer... just look at the trees.. there are clearly pvp and pve talents. A pvp tank spec should not look the same as a pve tank spec. And anyone that has ever done serious end game content knows, you have to maximize your spec/stats/rotation etc to succeed.

I am big into pvp, but i also want to get through the pve endgame as well. I KNOW that if i want to be a viable tank or dps in endgame pve content i will have to spec specifically for that. I don't want to be gimped in pvp all week so that i can raid on saturday night or something.

If we can't get dual specs, at the very least make the respec cost cap at a reasonable cost. a 10,000-15,000 credit cap would make it such that respecing was still a decision that shouldnt be done multiple times a day/week, but a viable option

also, when leveling and learning the game, i would really like to try out each talent tree, different talents in each tree, etc. Bioware has done a great job with the trees, there arn't really cookie-cutter specs yet, and one of the most fun parts about a new MMO is experimenting and learning for yourself whats optimal and what you enjoy (rather than looking up the best spec like you can for any 6 month old MMO). Making the respec costs scale out of control completely hinders my ability to do this.

MajinUltima
12.21.2011 , 11:38 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Caern View Post
I also think it's a bit absurd that in a massively multiplayer game, a game specifically designed around you playing with other people, that anyone can truly say they *need* to be completely self-reliant.
Because my friends are always going to be:
- The exact same level I am.
- Playing the exact same times of day I am.
- Have an interest in doing the same content I am.
- Willing to follow each other around and do class-specific quests that the other doesn't have.

Guess you missed the "RPG" part of MMORPG and the heavy Story-focus of TOR. My character's story is about him and his companions, not about begging in General chat for people to quest with because I want to be able to heal properly in group content.

Questing tends to be designed around people being self-sufficient, so it is expected I should not be at a substantial disadvantage if I want to also be able to serve a specific role in a group.

owenthorn
12.21.2011 , 11:40 AM | #6
no no and no, that idea that I want a toon that can do everything is messing up the game play, choose your path, and live it

blubomber
12.21.2011 , 11:41 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Caern View Post
I think nescessary is too strong of a word.

Make friends. Have fun. And I hope the game weeds out the people who just absolutely refuse to make friends. There are all kinds of other games for those people. MMOs like this should do the exact opposite and encourage social bonding.
Being reliant on others and dual speccing are 2 different concepts. What if they want a pvp dps spec, and a pve healing spec? All not having one does limit people from playing different roles they may enjoy.

SWToR particularly will benefit from this because of the length of time and redundancy of rerolling a new toon that share the same story line
Feel the wrath and power that it holds
I will make you a goddess and angel
You will be remembered forever
Honor me, the Angel Maker
I give you your wings

Beta Squadron 367

blubomber
12.21.2011 , 11:43 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by owenthorn View Post
no no and no, that idea that I want a toon that can do everything is messing up the game play, choose your path, and live it
So your suggesting i never pvp because i chose a spec for PVE raiding that i also enjoy?

There is nothing to be lost with dual specs and a ton to gain. If you think you want to pick one playstyle and never change, then do so. My ability to fill a couple roles i enjoy playing does not need to effect you
Feel the wrath and power that it holds
I will make you a goddess and angel
You will be remembered forever
Honor me, the Angel Maker
I give you your wings

Beta Squadron 367

Holden_Dissent
12.21.2011 , 11:46 AM | #9
dual spec would be cool I guess.

TheSwamper
12.21.2011 , 11:48 AM | #10
I've been gaming for decades, and I've never agreed that dual-specs are necessary.

In the end, what every demand for them comes down to is "I want my ONE character to be able to fill MORE THAN ONE role."

You simply need to create more than one character. What every one of these requests is asking for is the need to not have to create and level a second character, which I do not agree is something the game should provide.

At the very least, dual-spec is most certainly not necessary, just a convenient time-saver.