Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why The Light Side is More Powerful

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why The Light Side is More Powerful

Aeneas_Falco
07.11.2013 , 02:07 PM | #1
Selflessness trumps ruthless self-interest.

The Sith also fear death, while the Jedi do not.

frankiejo
07.11.2013 , 03:04 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeneas_Falco View Post

It's funny but when I look at a map of the galaxy prior to and after the start of the war, I can't help thinking the fact that the jedi got their asses whooped out of half of the galaxy over the course of 30 years refutes your point. I can't even begin to explain the spacial relationships involved but the jedi must have been losing at LEAST millions of cubic miles per day just to fail at such an astounding rate.
Bergeron Colony
Khaeldar - Marauder
Beth'adone - Operative
P-Chloride - Sorcerer

Ayelinna
07.11.2013 , 04:07 PM | #3

So you're basically comparing the Jedi to suicide bombers?

MistressOfMetal
07.11.2013 , 04:12 PM | #4
Implying that every Jedi inherently learns not to fear death. Not every Jedi is the perfectly shiny example of the code.

LadyKulvax
07.11.2013 , 06:05 PM | #5
Saying the Light is more powerful than the Dark or vice versa is the same thing as saying the Force is more powerful than the Force.

Here are the main differences:

Dark Side pros: Quicker power, more aggressive and far more applicable against others.
Light Side pros: Self-control, emotional control, ability to achieve oneness with the force, true immortality.
Dark Side cons: Lack of self-control, emotionally unbalanced, inability to become truly immortal.
Light Side cons: Growth in ability and power takes a lot longer.
Kote! Kandosii sa ka'rta, Vode an.
Battle Honour

Sinapus
07.11.2013 , 08:28 PM | #6
I feel a sudden urge to make a male scoundrel with whatever face resembles Bruce Campbell the most.

"You have no right to pass judgement on me!" "By your own actions, you appear to believe that might makes right." "I don't like where this is going." "Oh, good. I was hoping you wouldn't."
-Schlock Mercenary

Gloomycakes
07.11.2013 , 08:29 PM | #7
If you mean Republic vs Empire and:

Spoiler

If you really mean using the Dark-side of the force vs the Light-side it's like said above. Both have their strenght and weaknesses and I'd definitly not say that the Light-side is more powerful. There's a lot of strenght in the Dark-side.

SithKoriandr
07.11.2013 , 09:09 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Gloomycakes View Post
If you mean Republic vs Empire and:

Spoiler

If you really mean using the Dark-side of the force vs the Light-side it's like said above. Both have their strenght and weaknesses and I'd definitly not say that the Light-side is more powerful. There's a lot of strenght in the Dark-side.
A lot of strength to the Dark-side yes. More powerful? No. It's part of established lore that the Light Side is stronger. There's no debating that. It's been said. It's canon. Seriously, whatever your thoughts on it are, Light Side is more powerful. Is it as free as Dark Side? I'd say yes, but not until Luke. Basically it takes centuries for the Light Side to figure out "OMG! We don't have to hold back!"

But Dark Side is the easier path to power and way more seductive. But being selfish usually tends to be more seductive.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SithKoriandr
07.11.2013 , 09:11 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Ayelinna View Post
So you're basically comparing the Jedi to suicide bombers?
No.

Kamikaze pilots where usually drunk and sent out low on fuel.

Suicide bombers have it easier. Get wrapped in a bomb and push a button. It's why suicides with guns are 2/3rd of guns deaths in America. Get depressed, pull a trigger with no time to think on it.

Jedi get plenty of time to think on it
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Osetto
07.11.2013 , 09:45 PM | #10
The Sith also fear death...
Darth Marr would like a word with you.