Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

majority of crew skills are utterly worthless

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
majority of crew skills are utterly worthless

Grayseven
07.12.2013 , 05:51 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
All crew skills are worth it because they make money.

EDIT: Except Investigation, lol.
Yeah, Investigation could use some love. It doesn't have much in the schematics department and only one crafting skill uses it...it's probably the single worst of the mission skills.
"50 Grades of Shae", a heart-warming novel about a Mandalorian that delivers beat-downs and assigns grades to her victims.

Pietrastor
07.13.2013 , 06:38 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Grayseven View Post
With people concentrating on end-game items, it's easy to make credits selling leveling gear and mods from all crew skills, especially with Prototype gear since many F2Per's can use only that gear without paying extra...
It's not even about F2P. There's just no need for purple gear while leveling at all. Blue-Prototype stuff is 100.00% enough for anyone, even totally beginner players. Especially considering the time/effort/money necessary to get purple schematics and mats or cash for overpriced purple stuff on GTN. Which is why blue leveling stuff sells the best since everyone buys it, F2P and subs.

AidanLightwalker
07.14.2013 , 10:27 AM | #13
I find that best money makers are armoring mods and weapon hilts/ barrels. Regular mods and enhancements are only 2 comms a piece but weapon parts and armrorings are 7. A smart player will buy enhancements and mods at 2 a piece and they buy weapon parts and armorings off the gtn. This is usually more cost effective for people and even if the parts sell on the gtn for 10-15k a piece, its still quicker to make 15k then 7 comms.
Even the smallest of light sources can light up the darkness.
Nyren - Combat Sentinel Ewenn - Shield Vanguard
Kyrenn - Scoundrel SawbonesSyrenn - Telekinetics Sage

JamieKirby
07.14.2013 , 11:00 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Kratier View Post
i think its pretty bad when most of the crafting is subverted by the planet comm system.

why take cybertech at all? just buy the mods with comms.
same goes with gear, anything you can make takes too much time , money, and effort to be worthwhile because you can instantly queue for a instance and get better gear than you could ever craft from a random drop within 5 minutes of fighting.

seriously, whats the point? are you guys even bothering with the systems that are so utterly broken? i understand you want to make money from the cartel market, but you basically have abandoned most of your game's content in favor of raking in cash from the f2p market
Well, unless you plan to do pvp all day long endlessly, then sure I guess, but if one doesn't like pvp, just pve, they are limited to the daily and weekly quests for flashpoints, heroics and normal quests and it will take roughly 2 planets worth of quests or 2-3 days worth of heroics, I have calculated that you need roughly 11 commendations per slot, which means you either need 99 commendations just for you or 198 for both you and your companion.

Whoever can manage that has absolutely no life.

Ayakin_Solaris
07.16.2013 , 05:56 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Pietrastor View Post
It's not even about F2P. There's just no need for purple gear while leveling at all. Blue-Prototype stuff is 100.00% enough for anyone, even totally beginner players. Especially considering the time/effort/money necessary to get purple schematics and mats or cash for overpriced purple stuff on GTN. Which is why blue leveling stuff sells the best since everyone buys it, F2P and subs.
Yes, for PvE there isn't much point (other than to level quicker) but if you're doing PvP content then purple gear will give you an edge over other players, especially with the removal of the lower level PvP gear in 2.0.

Artifice and Cybertech are both fantastic as you can craft the purple modifications and send to lower-level alts using legacy gear. It's of limited use for the armorings/mods, but is great for the enhancements as they are pretty generic in terms of stats until you hit mid-30s.

Cybertech was the last crafting skill I learnt and I have to say I wish it was the first one I'd learnt and developed.

Also, even in terms of the non-crafting skills, the gathering and mission skills (other than Investigation!) can be used to farm mats to sell on the GTN and turn a profit. May not be a huge profit, but if you're doing dailies or ops, you may as well utilise the fact you can send 5 companions on missions at the same time, i .e. doing something that generates credits rather than sitting idle.

Anosa
07.17.2013 , 01:41 PM | #16
id honestly prefer they added item decay
Meow

psandak
07.17.2013 , 03:05 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Anosa View Post
Let me ask you this...how would that add to crafting? Be specific. Because as the game is setup now, all that would do is cause players to "stock up" on replacement gear (either via running group content, comms, or tokens) so that when an item breaks a player simply goes to a vendor and buys a new one.

Even if crafting skills had a repair with no decay feature, all that would do would be to encourage players to take appropriate crew skills so they could repair their own gear or again simply save up comms and/or tokens (or worse click need on items they already have) so that when a piece of gear breaks they can get a easy replacement.

Dominoris
07.18.2013 , 06:45 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Anosa View Post
Have you never had to repair your equipment?
What do you think item decay is?
Clones are people two.

NOTACTICS
07.18.2013 , 09:31 AM | #19
I would say that while leveling armourtech and synchweathing are pretty painful to make useful atall since with so much armour dops in general loot and from flashpoinst etc.. that you get better stuff from drops than you can use from crafting your own for your level. They are however useful if only for the high Argument Kits you can craft end game once you reach 450. So I agree to a point with these two crafts.

They both need a boost up to make them worth it while leveling, weather its just making all crafted armour at Artifice grade or custom quality or what I would rather see is a good reduction to the amount of loot you get in general solo play and restrict general non-binding loot you get just to random elites and all champions in flashpoint and heroic area's. The amount you get from your bog standard silvers in solo area's is silly really and these kills should just give credits with elites in solo area's giving the odd comms as loot. Then I would just improve the options you get on the Bind on Pickup loot from Quest rewards giving you a more varied choice between a tanking, DPS and heal based stat gear.

More players are going down the moddable route especially with more adapative stuff on Caretel market and the
re-structure of the planetary comms system (so that they are not planet bound) making it more beneficial than it used to be. The value of Non moddable gear has dropped to the point that the GTN is simply flooded with hundreds of greens that nobody wants or needs so you either have to basically give them away or sell back to vendor for a paltry sum. This is true or armour and wepons but more so armour since more armour drops than weapons.

Basically standard gear is no longer the preffered for most meaning most dont need it for leveling and hence unit does not make much, apart from things like earpeices and implants and offhands perhaps.

Cybertech is I would say the best while leveling since you can make both armourings and mods, and providing you level this craft up well as you go along it will save you comms and credits as each armouring costs 7 Comms Artifice also useful since you can make hilts and enchanchments, Armstech so-so but you can make barrells.

It hard to get a full 100 Coms quota per 4 level planet you usually average out between 50-70 comms per planet if starting from 0 so that is not enough to totally upgrade all your mods on full kit hence why you can still make money on crafting mods.

Biochem not sure about leveling wise but it is a useful money maker at end game.

psandak
07.18.2013 , 09:58 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Dominoris View Post
Have you never had to repair your equipment?
What do you think item decay is?
He is talking about every time you repair your equipment, it loses some of its durability to the point where it becomes unusable.

Quote: Originally Posted by NOTACTICS View Post
I would say that while leveling armourtech and synchweathing are pretty painful to make useful atall since with so much armour dops in general loot and from flashpoinst etc.. that you get better stuff from drops than you can use from crafting your own for your level. They are however useful if only for the high Argument Kits you can craft end game once you reach 450. So I agree to a point with these two crafts.
I do not think the problem is with the crafting skills because level appropriate crafted greens are better than any quest reward. The problem lies in the fact that unless you run missions to get materials (near to the point of poverty) you are unable to get the materials needed to make level appropriate gear; if you depend on gathering materials from nodes, by the time you have enough to craft something you are already two levels above its requirement and quest reward gear is better.