Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech Class Representative

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Bounty Hunter > Powertech
Powertech Class Representative
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

dijskykiller
07.11.2013 , 07:52 AM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by ScytheEleven View Post
The problems of PT do not just stop with DPS. There are issues with PT tanking that I would like to see discussed as well.
I agree, although most PT players play DPS, we need to keep in mind that we also have a tanking tree. We are allowed to provide 3 questions for every AC, and i think every tree is entitled to 1 major issue to eliminate bias.

On a side note, I cannot think of anybody suited as CR aside from Jerc.
Jar'la Cabur
POWERTECH
POT5 - Sef's Shield Tech PvP Tanking Guide

Luckeyduckey
07.11.2013 , 08:09 AM | #32
Having played on Ebon Hawk with and against Jerc, I 100% vouch him. Never have I seen a better PT player. When I was against him, I would always focus fire him, because of how dangerous he was.

FeralPug for pres.

wetslampigduex
07.11.2013 , 09:25 AM | #33
For PVE i'd like to elect nDjiin(Kovacs) .... He is a member(officer I do believe) of one of the top PVE guilds in the game (Tempest).. honestly not even sure if hes interested but ive run with him before and he's a very dedicated player

As far as a PVP aspect Feralpug is fine by me

the only question I have is do either of you have any clue about tanking on a PT....

iamthehoyden
07.11.2013 , 12:35 PM | #34
On a bright note from someone who has both powertechs and vanguards, it looks like the nominations on both forums are going smoothly and bringing up good candidates who understand the issues the classes have. This bodes well.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bbrooks
07.11.2013 , 02:15 PM | #35
Quote:
my 3 points:
1. survivability
2. cgc
3. thermal detonator
Looks like 3 questions for pyro. We need to make sure it isn't just a top 3 things wrong with pyro. I know people played that spec more than any other because it was significantly better than both of the others pre 2.0, but like someone above me posted, its 3 PT questions not 3 Pyro question. That being said I know pyro needs a look and by no means should be ignored. My tank tree questions would be:

Pre 2.0 PT tanks had the highest passive mitigation and made them the smoothest tanks to heal, while taking slightly more damage than others, Post 2.0 juggs inn combat have a higher DR thanks to the crushing blow buff giving them the smoothest incoming damage, on top of having absolutely unreal defensive CD's. What is the point of bringing a PT tank of equal skill, and what can be done to give the PT tank back some sort of uniqueness and make them desired in PVE again, and put them on par with juggs in PVP.

Jugg Tank
  • Raid utility with AoE taunt
  • Easiest tanks to heal when played even close to compentently
  • Super CD's

PT Tank
  • Almost 0 raid utility ( ranged tank/burst AoE in some cases, but they are few)
  • 1 viable CD that is actually worse than 3/4 jugg CD's (endure pain is nice, but always seemed average to me)

Assassins are a different monster in PVP, and do have some problems in PVE. In anything other than NiM 16 WH, I would still feel more confident in a sin tank played well than a PT, if just for the "Oh ****" buttons" and the extra raid utility brought. But in all honesty, I would love to hear an argument for not running 2 juggs.

Would love to see another CD, maybe tied to explosive fuel or HO.

While I am familiar with the two dps trees and do mess around on them, I am by no means an expert, and would rather leave that to more knowledgeable persons. The whole class needs to be reevaluated, so I'm really hoping this will help
Beels 50 madness Sin Phudgee 50 Sheild tech PT Deex 50 Vengence Jugg Phattness 50 Lightning Sorc Chubbzilla 50 Medic Commando

http://therevenant-guild.com

ScytheEleven
07.11.2013 , 02:37 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by bbrooks View Post
Looks like 3 questions for pyro. We need to make sure it isn't just a top 3 things wrong with pyro. I know people played that spec more than any other because it was significantly better than both of the others pre 2.0, but like someone above me posted, its 3 PT questions not 3 Pyro question. That being said I know pyro needs a look and by no means should be ignored. My tank tree questions would be:

Pre 2.0 PT tanks had the highest passive mitigation and made them the smoothest tanks to heal, while taking slightly more damage than others, Post 2.0 juggs inn combat have a higher DR thanks to the crushing blow buff giving them the smoothest incoming damage, on top of having absolutely unreal defensive CD's. What is the point of bringing a PT tank of equal skill, and what can be done to give the PT tank back some sort of uniqueness and make them desired in PVE again, and put them on par with juggs in PVP.

Jugg Tank
  • Raid utility with AoE taunt
  • Easiest tanks to heal when played even close to compentently
  • Super CD's

PT Tank
  • Almost 0 raid utility ( ranged tank/burst AoE in some cases, but they are few)
  • 1 viable CD that is actually worse than 3/4 jugg CD's (endure pain is nice, but always seemed average to me)

Assassins are a different monster in PVP, and do have some problems in PVE. In anything other than NiM 16 WH, I would still feel more confident in a sin tank played well than a PT, if just for the "Oh ****" buttons" and the extra raid utility brought. But in all honesty, I would love to hear an argument for not running 2 juggs.

Would love to see another CD, maybe tied to explosive fuel or HO.

While I am familiar with the two dps trees and do mess around on them, I am by no means an expert, and would rather leave that to more knowledgeable persons. The whole class needs to be reevaluated, so I'm really hoping this will help
This!

I am really looking forward to the combat team answering questions about PT DPS, do not get me wrong! Pre-2.0 my main was a PT DPS (Pyro, PVE), and since 2.0 I have picked up tanking (which I love on my PT).

The damage curve for both a PT and a Jug are identical, with the Jug having *far* superior utility. It's not to say that PT's are not viable tanks, they are, it's just that Jug's do everything better.

I want to see our Class Representative present three (3) questions, one per each tree. For example:

1) Shield Tech: In the past, Powertech's were the superior passive mitigation tanks. Post 2.0, they are equal to Juggernauts but lack the cooldown versatility. While the damage mitigation numbers might appear mathematically equal, the utility factor strongly favors a Juggernaut. Is there any chance that Powertech's can expect some sort of new cooldown, perhaps one that resists force/tech for a short amount of time (similar to how Shadows/Sins have Resilience/Force Shroud and Guard's/Juggs have Saber Reflect)?

2) Advanced Prototype: While Advanced Prototype certainly got a sufficient DPS increase for the PVE realm, it's "unique" feel was lost when the entire Bounty Hunter class was given access to Hydraulic Overrides. In it's place, AP was given the same thing as Arsenal Merc: a 4 second duration boost to the ability. Many AP players feel cheated in this sense, and wish to see an upgrade in their tree, preferably one that gives some sort of CC immunity while casting flamethrower (at 3 stacks, of course).

3) Pyrotech: A full Pyrotech build has not been viable in PVE since the changes in 1.4, and many in PVP abandoned a full build as well. The DoT change to Thermal Detonator did increase its overall damage potential, however it's "burst" was severely neutered and thus is no longer even a consideration for PVP. For PVE, many players either spec into a hybrid, or just don't take Thermal Detonator at all. Could we see some sort of synergy in the tree worked out, perhaps giving Thermal Detonator some of it's initial kinetic damage back and giving it's DoT the ability to give Rail Shot an additional 15% armor penetration (matching the armor penetration levels from pre-2.0)?

These, in my opinion, are balanced PVE and PVP questions. I'm not saying that these are the questions that should be asked, I'm just saying these are the structured types of questions I believe should be asked.

FeralPug
07.11.2013 , 03:20 PM | #37
These are all some really great questions.

It only makes sense to me that if we are allowed three questions, all three trees need to be looked at. Each tree deserves its own question, IMO.

Ultimately, I want to see us have 3 trees that are engame-viable and fun and engaging to play. I truly hope this is a step in that direction!

Imagine the elder-game (PVP or PVE) where group composition is dictated by what players want to play, not what they have to play. I know that right now there is a pretty strict ranked composition that has stifled creativity in rated games. I'm lucky as my ranked team humors me by letting me play AP (yes, I play AP in rated!), but it is sooo far out of the norm. There is no doubt that it disadvantages our team in the current climate of group comp. One look at the PVP record thread will show anyone that there are simply some specs that are waaaay behind in terms of output. These specs happen to be the same ones that are behind in group utility!

The great thing is that I think we're all on the same page as far as what we want for our class. I know we can put together some questions that will get to the heart of what each tree needs.

I also think that whoever the representative is, s/he should interface with the Vanguard rep. We might be able to coordinate with our Vanguard brothers so that we can get six questions asked for the price of three. I'd be happy to do this if the community wills it.
Jerc Starr Jercules Jercenary
Social 1. Valor 100.

<Hex> www.tehhex.com

GalnarDegana
07.11.2013 , 03:36 PM | #38
Let me just say as a outside observer of this election (though hoping for the 'Slinger spot), I can really appreciate the opportunity here for you to bring back the DPS in Powertech DPS specs. It is my primary Imp character on my main server, so I hope that you get things addressed! Good luck!

MosesMercury
07.11.2013 , 03:47 PM | #39
FeralPug all the way. I aspired to play PT as well as he did during his time on TEH. He knows the AC like few I have encountered. He will not sugarcoat or blow smoke. He gets my vote.
Silent Council @ The Ebon Hawk
Klaangck Huttslime-Powertech
Putrid Huttslime- Sniper
Discrete- Operative

ScytheEleven
07.11.2013 , 03:47 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by FeralPug View Post
I also think that whoever the representative is, s/he should interface with the Vanguard rep. We might be able to coordinate with our Vanguard brothers so that we can get six questions asked for the price of three. I'd be happy to do this if the community wills it.
This is a FANTASTIC idea