Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Servers online?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

lennert
07.10.2013 , 09:42 AM | #31
I can understand that they have hardware difficulties. But what bothers me is that they always do these downtimes in the middle of the day ( for EU). A little balancing doesn't hurt
Jolee Bindo: You know the problem with the youth nowadays? They are YOUNG!

DisIzMe
07.10.2013 , 09:44 AM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by Sepulch View Post
Why do EU players always get the shaft.
Not alone do they shutdown the server during midday, our downtime gets extended with another hour compared to the US server, while it's largely still morning there.
Hamsters inside the European servers work according to EU hamster workforce regulations. They have their mandatory "run in the wheel for recreation" hour and due to the update, hamster roster management could not split the wheel hour between the 2 shifts of hamsters- which is the way it is usually done. This is what EA/Bioware hides behind hardware problem. Hamsters are not hardware,you heartless capitalists!
Good for hamsters, bad for us.

Sepulch
07.10.2013 , 09:44 AM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by bibobpipop View Post
Who says it isn't just something simple as an HDD that refuses to work anymore...
I seriously hope the downtime wasn't extended with 2 hours due to a "simple" problem. I'm sure they have their reasons to do so, just as we do have ours to complain.

GokiAndi
07.10.2013 , 09:45 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by lennert View Post
I can understand that they have hardware difficulties. But what bothers me is that they always do these downtimes in the middle of the day ( for EU). A little balancing doesn't hurt
Agreed, it's afternoon for EU players, so why let us wait one more hour or more. Next time do the patching earlier, when EU players are sleeping, at work, at school etc.

And hardware difficulties? Someone used a sledgehammer for patching?

lennert
07.10.2013 , 09:48 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by GokiAndi View Post
Agreed, it's afternoon for EU players, so why let us wait one more hour or more. Next time do the patching earlier, when EU players are sleeping, at work, at school etc.

And hardware difficulties? Someone used a sledgehammer for patching?
Servers can be a pain sometimes to boot

Sepulch
07.10.2013 , 09:49 AM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by GokiAndi View Post
It's clearly a matter of commitment, they simply do not want or can offer support on EU friendly hours. Now 10 years ago when I was playing that US based MMORPG I had no right to complain, but these days the games are sold in Europe and for Europe currency, service should be in line with the region, I pay just as much as my fellow US player (correction, we pay more comparing currency, but don't want to be nick picking)

PavelH
07.10.2013 , 09:56 AM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey guys,

We are working through a hardware issue for the EU servers and will have them up ASAP! Thank you for your patience.

-eric
Would you be so kind and go into some detail on the issue? just for the techy people around.

I would imagine that the game consists of several "roles", running on a somewhat flexible number of servers with some pre-set resources for each role.
if that is the case, removing a failed node would be as easy as changing the resource allocation, putting up a notice that the servers are running slower than usual due to hardware issue, and schedule a short maintenance in two days (or so) to replace the failed HW. this could take maybe 30 mins (shot in the dark)

any other component (routers, disk arrays, SAN stuff) should be redundant in any reasonable setup

PS: 1 hour also seems like a reasonable time estimate for replacing a dead server with a spare one (copy program to spare HW, play a bit with wires)

PS2: another possibility is that the issue takes 10 mins to fix, and an hour to test, so it doesn't fail on users

bibobpipop
07.10.2013 , 09:58 AM | #38
What has currency to do with anything? xD

Face it, the game is played worldwide, so no matter when you do the maintenance, someone will always have to wait during "primetime".

And i bet even if they'd sycle it like "2.3 downtime is during US-orime, 2.4 during AU primetime, 2.5 EU primetime" most whinerss still wouldn't be satisfied.

lennert
07.10.2013 , 09:58 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by PavelH View Post
Would you be so kind and go into some detail on the issue? just for the techy people around.

I would imagine that the game consists of several "roles", running on a somewhat flexible number of servers with some pre-set resources for each role.
if that is the case, removing a failed node would be as easy as changing the resource allocation, putting up a notice that the servers are running slower than usual due to hardware issue, and schedule a short maintenance in two days (or so) to replace the failed HW. this could take maybe 30 mins (shot in the dark)

any other component (routers, disk arrays, SAN stuff) should be redundant in any reasonable setup

PS: 1 hour also seems like a reasonable time estimate for replacing a dead server with a spare one (copy program to spare HW, play a bit with wires)

PS2: another possibility is that the issue takes 10 mins to fix, and an hour to test, so it doesn't fail on users
I doubt that the people you try to contact, are the ones solving the problem

Transcendent
07.10.2013 , 09:58 AM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by lennert View Post
You know what would be nice? A server downtime during european night time. For a change
This.