Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

KBN's Guide to Combat Spec (or: how to sentinel tank)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Sentinel / Marauder
KBN's Guide to Combat Spec (or: how to sentinel tank)

drGudo
07.26.2013 , 06:45 AM | #111
So, i've put all the Strenght augs according to KBN's guide instead of Power ones but I still don't know if it was the right choice.
I mean, KBN's guide is not very clear about.

Any suggestion?

My fellow Maras guildies use Power augs.

PS: Carnage here, full 69 with some 72 pieces (chest, bracers, main hilt)
Rheigan, Human Marauder Carnage • Pa'tong, Zabrak Powertech Shield Tech
<Dread Masters>
The Red Eclipse

KeyboardNinja
07.26.2013 , 09:53 AM | #112
Quote: Originally Posted by drGudo View Post
So, i've put all the Strenght augs according to KBN's guide instead of Power ones but I still don't know if it was the right choice.
I mean, KBN's guide is not very clear about.

Any suggestion?

My fellow Maras guildies use Power augs.

PS: Carnage here, full 69 with some 72 pieces (chest, bracers, main hilt)
I use Power augs as well because it's more consistent and the DPS difference in full min-maxed 72s is less than 1.9 DPS. (not a typo) I have a full set of Strength augs that I could swap in, but for now, I prefer Power.

The reason I advised Strength in the guide is it *is* mathematically superior, albeit by a very small margin.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

drGudo
07.26.2013 , 10:21 AM | #113
KBN :bow:

What you suggest me to do then?
Should i keep the Str ones or should i go for Power? Considering my gear...

Also, if i have to go for another full set of augs the cost will be very high... I have 2 millions left
<Dread Masters>
The Red Eclipse

KeyboardNinja
07.26.2013 , 10:54 AM | #114
Quote: Originally Posted by drGudo View Post
KBN :bow:

What you suggest me to do then?
Should i keep the Str ones or should i go for Power? Considering my gear...

Also, if i have to go for another full set of augs the cost will be very high... I have 2 millions left
Your choice. I would keep the strength ones if that's what you already have. The fact that I'm using Power is somewhat personal taste combined with a very wishy-washy argument about reducing RNG during boss pulls. It's a difference of a little over 1% crit chance, which really is not all that much. Overall, I think strength augments are a fine choice, especially since that's what you already have.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

drGudo
07.26.2013 , 12:13 PM | #115
I'll do then.
Thank you boss
<Dread Masters>
The Red Eclipse

CJNJ
07.27.2013 , 03:20 PM | #116
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardarell_Solo View Post
I had been a firm believer in putting two procced Blade Storms inside the two Precision Slash windows. But just to test it while parsing on the dummy, I made Master Strike my top priority, as seems to be common sense among Marauders. So I used Master Strike as first ability in the first window, even if I had an Opportune Attack Proc at hand. I tried fitting in Blade Storm directly after Master Strike's last tick, i.e. activated it 0.2 secs before the end of Master Strike Channel, so I could use another attack in that window, or even 2 if under Zen. This crowded out Blade Storm out of the second Precision Slash window, of course, but I used it there anyway. If Master Strike was not ready, I did the usal "Blade Storm at the beginnig of window 1 and at the end of window 2"-thing. And I generally tried to never ever delay Precision Slash even by one GCD. Here's what happened: http://www.torparse.com/a/353757/tim...0/Damage+Dealt

The only reason I can imagine, why this works, without doing theory crafting, is: 2 pc Set bonus on Master Strike + armor pen buff does more for Master Strike (melee attack) than for Blade Storm (force attack, right?) .

Maybe the specc is meant to work like that: Generally buff your melee attacks with one of the specc's key abilities (Precision Slash) and for the time it's not up you can gain another specc-specific hard hitter, if you play a good rotation: Blade Storm with Execute. Having played Watchman a long time it's a bit like Overload Saber for continous Damage increase plus one buffed hard hitter, Merciless Slash, that only becomes effective, if you play the right way, i.e. keep up your stacks...
Armor pen affects both MS and BS, as neither of them are elemental/internal

Ausgelebt
07.28.2013 , 04:53 AM | #117
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardarell_Solo View Post
I had been a firm believer in putting two procced Blade Storms inside the two Precision Slash windows. But just to test it while parsing on the dummy, I made Master Strike my top priority, as seems to be common sense among Marauders. So I used Master Strike as first ability in the first window, even if I had an Opportune Attack Proc at hand. I tried fitting in Blade Storm directly after Master Strike's last tick, i.e. activated it 0.2 secs before the end of Master Strike Channel, so I could use another attack in that window, or even 2 if under Zen. This crowded out Blade Storm out of the second Precision Slash window, of course, but I used it there anyway. If Master Strike was not ready, I did the usal "Blade Storm at the beginnig of window 1 and at the end of window 2"-thing. And I generally tried to never ever delay Precision Slash even by one GCD. Here's what happened: http://www.torparse.com/a/353757/tim...0/Damage+Dealt

The only reason I can imagine, why this works, without doing theory crafting, is: 2 pc Set bonus on Master Strike + armor pen buff does more for Master Strike (melee attack) than for Blade Storm (force attack, right?) .

Maybe the specc is meant to work like that: Generally buff your melee attacks with one of the specc's key abilities (Precision Slash) and for the time it's not up you can gain another specc-specific hard hitter, if you play a good rotation: Blade Storm with Execute. Having played Watchman a long time it's a bit like Overload Saber for continous Damage increase plus one buffed hard hitter, Merciless Slash, that only becomes effective, if you play the right way, i.e. keep up your stacks...
The reason that parse is so good is not because you use master strike instead of 2x blade storm, but because this was a 49apm run. 49 APM on the other tactic would be 3,1k+

Armor penetration increases the damage of force attacks though (see dmg proc kinetic).

Under Zen I usually do PS>BR>BR>BR>BS>PS>MS>DP/TST

g_mK
07.28.2013 , 10:09 AM | #118
What about doing
PS>BS>BR>BR>strike>PS>MS>BS it seems to work for me if zen is up I squeeze in dispatch
55 Dón-Quíjote Jedi Sentinel (combat/Watchman/Focus)
55 Dulcinea Jedi Shadow (Tank)
55 Sancho-Panza Sharpshooter Gunslinger
53 Rakolnikof Vanguard

TradeLA
07.29.2013 , 01:48 AM | #119
Quote: Originally Posted by Emperor-Norton View Post
First I want to say this is a great guide and it is what got me to (a bit reluctantly, I still prefer the difficulty of Watchman) to switch to Combat. There is one interesting thing I found out that I think people may like: you can fit Dispatch, Master Strike, and Blade Storm into one PS window without Zen. Now, don't bite my head off and listen a minute. KBN acknowledges that Dispatch is not a good follow up to MS without Zen with PS for one reason, it hits at the end of the GCD and it could cause you to miss the PS window. The solution? Use Dispatch before PS, but before it hits the target, use PS (you have about 1 second to do this). Dispatch will still get the benefit of PS's 100% Armor Pen, and you can then fit Master Strike and Blade Storm into the rest of the Window without Zen.
Thanks to Emperor Norton for the pro-tip! It's given me a very nice boost!

I'm in all Underworld gear except two arkanian armorings and kell dragon bracers. Here is my new best parse:

I made plenty of mistakes, far from my most flawless execution, but by putting Dispatch before PS, I get that plus Blade Rush, TST and Blade Storm all into my second PS window. Bumped my best parse up almost 80 points over the previous best I reported in this thread with the same gear. It's not even something that takes that incredibly precise timing, just by hitting Dispatch first and PS second, it works out nearly every time.

Ardarell_Solo
07.29.2013 , 02:43 AM | #120
Quote: Originally Posted by Ausgelebt View Post
The reason that parse is so good is not because you use master strike instead of 2x blade storm, but because this was a 49apm run. 49 APM on the other tactic would be 3,1k+

Armor penetration increases the damage of force attacks though (see dmg proc kinetic).

Under Zen I usually do PS>BR>BR>BR>BS>PS>MS>DP/TST
Probably both: The more Master Strikes I use, the higher my APM. As stated before, I try to squeeze the attack following Master Strike into Master Strike's second GCD and thus use Master Strike + 2 Attacks in 3 GCDs. This is really tough, especially under Zen, and it worked very well in that parse. I will have less Master Strikes if procced Blade Storm is my top priority under precision and thus lower APM as well...

As for your Zen Precision window: Do you deliberately only use Blade Storm in the first window and if so, why? I ususally (try to) go
PS>BS>BR>BR(DP)>BR(DP)
>(Strike/Zealous)>
PS>MS<-DP/TST (as mentioned above)>BS

Will try the Dispatch before second PS technique as well, actually happened in that parse once just by chance...
El'ethon (Sentinel) | Rickmyron (Gunslinger) | Alreegan (Sage)
Craeg (Scoundrel) | Dacs (Commando) | Vayus (Guardian)
<Taking the Jawas to Alderaan>
T3-M4