Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Call me greedy...entitled.. all you want..

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Call me greedy...entitled.. all you want..
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

RandyAB
07.08.2013 , 11:06 AM | #271
Quote: Originally Posted by GoldenHornet View Post
The wife/girlfriend analogy was the first thing I thought of when I saw what this gift was.

Take it from someone who's been married nearly 15 years now. When she says she feels undervalued, that you don't listen to her anymore, that you spend all your time working and not paying attention to her, the answer isn't to peel off a fiver and say "There you are love, don't spend it all at once".

This is how this felt. It felt like you put no thought and effort into it and just wanted to fob us off as easily as possible so you could get back to making more cartel market crap that isn't covered by our subscription.

Take that how you will. You're obviously not listening anyway...
This guy gets it. You piss off subs by making the game increasingly revolve around the Cartel Market, then try to appease them by giving them Cartel Coins? That would be like me calling my wife fat, then offering to take her out for a salad with fat free dressing and a water to apologize. I get that the CM is here to stay and I've accepted that as the way things are, but this was just tacky.

Also, I have to wonder if the coin grant was the plan all along or if it was the quickest solution they could come up with working by the seat of their pants once people inquired about it. Last week, when the impending surprise for subs was brought up in the forum, they said they couldn't announce anything but to watch our emails for something soon. After reading the response, I remarked that the whole thing felt like they made a promise they hadn't put much thought into, then either forgot about it or pushed it to the back-burner, only to realize that subs aren't as forgetful, so they had to come up with something in a hurry as a CYA move. A few days later, it seems my assessment was correct, because there was obviously no grand plan here.

Darth_Moonshadow
07.08.2013 , 11:10 AM | #272
Quote: Originally Posted by JPryde View Post
The problem with this wife analogy is that you typically love your wife and intend to spend your whole life with.

This is absolutely not the case between Bioware and us.

We are not married, we are not etzernally sworn to each other. Heck, we are not even real friends. I will never get to know anyone of the Devs in person (unless any come to the GamesCon to Cologne this year), but even if I meet them there, the resulting relation will be nothing more than "barely knowing them" and a lot less than friends.

I will never give any kind of birthday gift to the devs. I am their customer !

We got something for free without any kind of obligation. And people are complaining about it. This is ungrateful, regardless of the nature of the gift.

The gift does have a value, you cannot possibly deny that fact. And for that value, you can either be thankful or shut up. This level of complaining is ridiculous.
That is a fair point. If you go to a Hot Dog Vendor every day, he doesn't give you a mix CD with all your favorite songs(well not since '98, but that was because Mix CDs were awesome). He gives you a hot dog on the house.

You're all acting like Hot Dog Guy should have given you a freaking Lambo.

And if you've actually recieved a Lambo from Hot Dog Guy, that means you need to stop playing with his emotions. He is clearly in love with you. But you're in love with Shwarma Guy, aren't you? Even though he treats you like nothing but common Borscht, you are still strangely drawn to his flippant but desirable charms. He doesn't like you, but that just makes you want him more.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Arlon_Nabarlly
07.08.2013 , 11:12 AM | #273
The wife/girlfriend analogy was the first thing I thought of when I saw what this gift was.

Take it from someone who's been married nearly 15 years now. When she says she feels undervalued, that you don't listen to her anymore, that you spend all your time working and not paying attention to her, the answer isn't to peel off a fiver and say "There you are love, don't spend it all at once".

This is how this felt. It felt like you put no thought and effort into it and just wanted to fob us off as easily as possible so you could get back to making more cartel market crap that isn't covered by our subscription.

This and

Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I guess it all depends Bruce.

If you gave her a gift card to a store she feels strongly against, or to a store that YOU like, but she doesn't care for, isn't that a kinda self serving "gift"?

It's not like gifts are given often in this game and player expectations are ALWAYS higher than they should be.

I'm fine with the "gift" - just sticking up for your wife.
This.

Subscribers aren't upset that they can't get things of the CM, they can they get 500 CCs every month. We wanted something unique that let us know we are special and you care about us. Instead you confirmed our suspicions that you don't. Gee thanks!

Ironically I was more upset by the appreciation gift and the Treek debacle than I ever was about 2.1 or anything since F2P. Straw has finally broken my camels back I guess...

branmakmuffin
07.08.2013 , 11:16 AM | #274
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
Subscribers aren't upset that they can't get things of the CM, they can they get 500 CCs every month. We wanted something unique that let us know we are special and you care about us. Instead you confirmed our suspicions that you don't. Boy thanks!
We did get something, an extra 500 CC. Seriously, if it had been some lameo title or pet you didn't like, you'd be in here complaining just as hard. In fact when we were all still speculating on what it was going to be, some people (not saying you), did express the hope that it wouldn't just be just some lameo title or pet.

Iggster
07.08.2013 , 11:21 AM | #275

I really wouldn't be surprised if come the 3rd July one hour before leaving the office someone realised "uh oh... We forgot the sub appreciation gift". So they decided to give us the equilivant of a gift card. I know if I need to get someone a gift and I don't really know what to get them (or there isn't much time to get them something) I cop out and get them a gift card!

Don't get me wrong, it was good of them to provide us with something, but I don't think it warranted all the usual Bioware secrecy.

Arlon_Nabarlly
07.08.2013 , 11:22 AM | #276
Quote: Originally Posted by branmakmuffin View Post
We did get something, an extra 500 CC. Seriously, if it had been some lameo title or pet you didn't like, you'd be in here complaining just as hard.
No actually I wouldn't. That's what it should have been. Even if it was something dumb that made no since like a taco who poops ice cream pet I'd have been OK with it. As long as the same pet wasn't on the CM. The point is getting something unique in this game. Nothing is unique in this game. Nothing unique for subs, nothing unique for in game effort. This game was written for trust fund babies who want to buy everything and can't be bothered to work for anything.

branmakmuffin
07.08.2013 , 11:23 AM | #277
Quote: Originally Posted by Arlon_Nabarlly View Post
No actually I wouldn't.
I don't believe you.

announcerharris
07.08.2013 , 11:24 AM | #278
It's fascinating to me that people are comparing their relationship with a corporation to their relationships with friends and family, and have some expectation that a corporation should treat them in the same way a (good) spouse would.
Phalcon hopes you Have A Nice Day!

branmakmuffin
07.08.2013 , 11:26 AM | #279
Quote: Originally Posted by announcerharris View Post
It's fascinating to me that people are comparing their relationship with a corporation to their relationships with friends and family, and have some expectation that a corporation should treat them in the same way a (good) spouse would.
A fine point.

Winnah!

Rankyn
07.08.2013 , 11:27 AM | #280
And it's right about now that Bruce is coming back from lunch, reading the responses to his post and bashing his head on the desk and vowing to never again make a lighthearted post amongst the hateful ingrates that comprise this game's community.

There is literally NOTHING they could have done that would have pleased more than about 1/3 of the people on here and the other 2/3 would have been face slapped by the gesture.

So instead of giving an item that the majority of people would hate, they gave you a wildcard... a thing that can be used to get something that YOU will be happy with.
...except that you're not even happy with that.

There's no doubt that EA/BioWare has made mistakes with this game since day one and they will continue to do so, but at this point, the problem is with you people.

It is YOUR expectations that aren't being met because you're whipping yourselves into a frenzy by over-analyzing every word of every official post and expecting things that are, quite literally, absurd.

Then you come here and vent your impotent rage that really does nothing but show how much you think this game seems to be produced by magical elves who sprinkle some glitter dust to make the game rather than by hard working people who spend hundreds of total hours each week in a vain attempt to please a group of people who wouldn't be pleased even if the game paid them to play it.

You know what the complaint would be then?
People who play more should be paid more.
Then it would be, people with X amount of play time should get a raise.
That would probably be followed by requests for paid vacations so they could be paid for not playing.

I used to think that the Star Wars Galaxies community was one of the most toxic I'd ever seen, but it's got nothing on this place.
That one can be blamed on BioWare because that's poor community management.
I can't really blame that on the current team, though... it was like that before they took over.
There's a line between constructive criticism and a never ending stream of hate.
This community exists on the wrong side of that line and until steps are taken to turn that around, this place is a lost cause.