Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Call me greedy...entitled.. all you want..

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Call me greedy...entitled.. all you want..
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ayelinna
07.08.2013 , 10:37 AM | #261
Quote:
just a movie DvD
That's the problem.

Heres two situations:
"Happy birthday my darling wife, here's a necklace I bought for you"

"Thank you my darling husband! It means a lot to me, but I dont really wear necklaces, maybe I will wear it next time we go out, I dont want to damage it. Thank you for putting so much thought into it, it means a lot"

or

"Here's some money for your birthday darling.....spend it, i don't care what you spend it on, I couldn't be bothered to give you a present and to be honest I want to sit on my arse and watch television so ...shoo go and spend it."

Yeahhh if I gave my wife or husband money for their birthday they'd probably be disappointed with me.

Ayelinna
07.08.2013 , 10:38 AM | #262
Quote: Originally Posted by Kesphin View Post
You should know that offering a DVD to someone is like saying "I don't care, you're nothing to me but I had to get you a gift, anyway you can go **** yourself". It's like offering socks or deodorant ; it's a slap in the face.

Girls enjoy diamonds, gamers like content.

Now I know why swtor is in this state...
Well said.

Superman_AZ
07.08.2013 , 10:40 AM | #263
Quote: Originally Posted by Apeth View Post
I got three things to say to this Bruce.

1. I'm happy with the coins.
2. You'll never please everyone I bet most people are also happy with coins.
3. I wouldn't have minded a jumper.
4. What was the DVD?

I like the way you think
"Be yourself, no one can ever tell you you're doing it wrong." ~ James Leo Herlihy

TUXs
07.08.2013 , 10:48 AM | #264
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
What JPryde said.

Reminds me of one time when I told my wife I had a present for her, and she got all excited. When she saw it was just a movie DvD she couldn't hide her disappointment and said in disbelief 'THAT'S MY PRESENT?!' I would have been better off not announcing the present in advance, or just giving her a gift card with funds on it instead.
I guess it all depends Bruce.

If you gave her a gift card to a store she feels strongly against, or to a store that YOU like, but she doesn't care for, isn't that a kinda self serving "gift"?

It's not like gifts are given often in this game and player expectations are ALWAYS higher than they should be.

I'm fine with the "gift" - just sticking up for your wife.
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

Benfynyn
07.08.2013 , 10:53 AM | #265
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I guess it all depends Bruce.

If you gave her a gift card to a store she feels strongly against, or to a store that YOU like, but she doesn't care for, isn't that a kinda self serving "gift"?

It's not like gifts are given often in this game and player expectations are ALWAYS higher than they should be.

I'm fine with the "gift" - just sticking up for your wife.
Or a gift card to a store you work at and that you got for free.
Quote: Originally Posted by JovethGonzalez View Post

After some investigation, it appears that there was some miscommunication between teams and this patch note was not intended to be included in this last patch.

GoldenHornet
07.08.2013 , 10:54 AM | #266
The wife/girlfriend analogy was the first thing I thought of when I saw what this gift was.

Take it from someone who's been married nearly 15 years now. When she says she feels undervalued, that you don't listen to her anymore, that you spend all your time working and not paying attention to her, the answer isn't to peel off a fiver and say "There you are love, don't spend it all at once".

This is how this felt. It felt like you put no thought and effort into it and just wanted to fob us off as easily as possible so you could get back to making more cartel market crap that isn't covered by our subscription.

Take that how you will. You're obviously not listening anyway...

Alavastre
07.08.2013 , 10:55 AM | #267
What JPryde said.

Reminds me of one time when I told my wife I had a present for her, and she got all excited. When she saw it was just a movie DvD she couldn't hide her disappointment and said in disbelief 'THAT'S MY PRESENT?!' I would have been better off not announcing the present in advance, or just giving her a gift card with funds on it instead.
And then you get older, and realize that gift cards are just a lazy *** way to show you care.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

Izorii
07.08.2013 , 10:59 AM | #268
What JPryde said.

I think this is what a lot of people have said. Annoncing that there will be a subscriber appreciation gift coming out only makes people guess at what it could be. Most people had assumed that it would be something great to show BW that their 18 months of loyal support has been noticed. When it is less than people guessed it would be they get annoyed. Had there been no announcement then when they got the 500 coins they would be happy but the hype of the gift was greater than the gift.

TUXs
07.08.2013 , 10:59 AM | #269
Quote: Originally Posted by GoldenHornet View Post
The wife/girlfriend analogy was the first thing I thought of when I saw what this gift was.

Take it from someone who's been married nearly 15 years now. When she says she feels undervalued, that you don't listen to her anymore, that you spend all your time working and not paying attention to her, the answer isn't to peel off a fiver and say "There you are love, don't spend it all at once".

This is how this felt. It felt like you put no thought and effort into it and just wanted to fob us off as easily as possible so you could get back to making more cartel market crap that isn't covered by our subscription.

Take that how you will. You're obviously not listening anyway...
Wow...great reply!
All warfare is based on deception. Attack him where he is unprepared, appear where you are not expected. If his forces are united, separate them. If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near. A leader leads by example not by force.

JPryde
07.08.2013 , 11:02 AM | #270
The problem with this wife analogy is that you typically love your wife and intend to spend your whole life with.

This is absolutely not the case between Bioware and us.

We are not married, we are not etzernally sworn to each other. Heck, we are not even real friends. I will never get to know anyone of the Devs in person (unless any come to the GamesCon to Cologne this year), but even if I meet them there, the resulting relation will be nothing more than "barely knowing them" and a lot less than friends.

I will never give any kind of birthday gift to the devs. I am their customer !

We got something for free without any kind of obligation. And people are complaining about it. This is ungrateful, regardless of the nature of the gift.

The gift does have a value, you cannot possibly deny that fact. And for that value, you can either be thankful or shut up. This level of complaining is ridiculous.
~~~ Macht Wächter ~~~
Vanjervalis Chain
Jhoira, Skarjis, Trântor, Ric-Xano, Sabri-torina, Tir-za, Shaina ...
We do not brake for Wookiees !