Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Which tanking relic is the least awful?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Which tanking relic is the least awful?
 

KurtDunn's Avatar


KurtDunn
07.04.2013 , 01:06 PM | #1
I'm not saying they don't have some use, but I don't think they're well made.

The click-defense relics (particularly for guardians), only provide a 3.75-4% increase to defense chance for 20 seconds out of every 2 minutes. The same potential amount of time that proc-defense relics can be used.

Which, if procs occur as frequently as they, the proc-defense relic will be up for the same amount of time, but this is where it gets tricky. Chances are they won't proc every time all the time they're able to, so there will be less time. But they are the only relics with +defense on them.

Then you have the shield/absorb-clicky relic, or the absorb-proc relic... Both of which don't seem to be useful for a Guardian/Jugg tank. But on the other hand I am prioritizing defense so much that it is surely highest into the diminishing returns so I would want to get something that gives me boatloads of not-defense, right?

... These relics suck. I wish I just had a relic that gave me a +25% chance to dodge for 5 seconds every 2 minutes. Or a +~50% chance to shield for 5 seconds. Then I'd actually have another cooldown.

Telanis's Avatar


Telanis
07.04.2013 , 01:17 PM | #2
Guardians have cooldowns out the butt. We don't need more. Relics should be more or less used on cooldown to make life easier overall for your healers, unless something crazy is coming up and you need to pop and stack everything you've got.

KurtDunn's Avatar


KurtDunn
07.04.2013 , 02:28 PM | #3
I had a very firm understanding that's how it should go. I was more asking which of the options is the best for a guardian? None of them look particularly good.

Stormskimmer's Avatar


Stormskimmer
07.04.2013 , 02:54 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by KurtDunn View Post
I had a very firm understanding that's how it should go. I was more asking which of the options is the best for a guardian? None of them look particularly good.
http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=655108

Answers your question quickly and concisely, and answers it for every class, not just one.

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
07.04.2013 , 02:56 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by KurtDunn View Post
None of them look particularly good.
If you don't think any of them look particularly good, it's because you don't really understand them.

First off, the def proc relic is friggin' amazing. Assuming you're actually tanking something, the cycle rate between procs is *roughly* 25 seconds (it's a 30% chance upon being *attacked*, not dodging an attack so, on average, it takes ~3 attacks for it to proc on you). This means you're packing about a 25% uptime, which equates to over 150 defense on average (specific amounts depend upon the rank of the relic) on top of the passive defense it provides. That's a *lot* (more than what you get out of any single other piece of gear).

Secondly, *never* use the def use relics. The def relics are terrible, mainly because they have a 20 second duration compared to the shield/abs relic's 30 seconds. *Yes*, Shield/Abs is less comparatively useful for Guards and VGs, but the extra 10 seconds has a *huge* impact, not to mention that it affects F/T as well as M/R.

No relic is going to be "omg, this is disgustingly amazing!". For comparison's sake, their total contribution is generally in-line with what your belt and bracers provide. If you think that none of them are *good* options, then you need to actually look at them (and actually do some math rather than make arbitrary assumptions)
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

KurtDunn's Avatar


KurtDunn
07.04.2013 , 03:04 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
If you think that none of them are *good* options, then you need to actually look at them (and actually do some math rather than make arbitrary assumptions)
First, thank you for your input.

Second, jump up my butt. I did the math, none of them looked good. Now granted I didn't see that the absorb/shield is 30 seconds, but I purchased all of the relics (after reselling them back to regain the token), and I looked at a before/after effect of how much my stats actually increased by %, and they were all very pitiful.

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
07.04.2013 , 03:14 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by KurtDunn View Post
Second, jump up my butt.
You're the one coming onto the forums to whine about how terrible you think the relics when they're perfectly fine. Just because you make flawed assumptions about how much they *should* provide doesn't impact the fact that they provide a very tangible and useful benefit.

Quote:
I looked at a before/after effect of how much my stats actually increased by %, and they were all very pitiful.
Just because they're not massive buffs like the standard CDs doesn't mean that they're pitiful. Hell, they're not even supposed to really be compared to them. On my Shadow, I don't compare the healing proc relic to Harnessed Shadows, and DPS don't compare the damage proc relics to any of their attacks. You're talking about a piece of *equipment* here, not a fundamental aspect of a class. No single piece of equipment is supposed to completely boggle the mind because they're all intended to be incremental advantages. 5% higher Shield and Absorb for 30 seconds every 2 minutes might not seem like much, but, in practice, it's actually very effective. ~7% additional defense for ~25% of the time is a crapton.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

KurtDunn's Avatar


KurtDunn
07.04.2013 , 03:17 PM | #8
You're an acerbic jacknape who only came in here to lord over your higher expertise. I was looking for advice, and you use that to leverage an ego boost for yourself by pointing out how little I know.

Shame on you.

Kitru's Avatar


Kitru
07.04.2013 , 03:52 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by KurtDunn View Post
You're an acerbic jacknape who only came in here to lord over your higher expertise. I was looking for advice, and you use that to leverage an ego boost for yourself by pointing out how little I know.

Shame on you.
Actually, I hang around here to help people become better at the game and learn as much as they can about it. I don't get an ego boost about any of it. I find the information itself and the community interesting enough to take part in.

Of course, I'm not going to say that I don't have an abrasive personality, especially when I'm dealing without someone who is well out of their depth while thinking they know what they're talking about. Pretty much anyone on these forums will tell you that I have strong tendency to conversationally wail on people that don't know what they're talking about, and, comically enough, many people find it to be a rather endearing trait since I, apparently, treat people legitimately asking questions and admitting to their own ignorance with a surprising amount of patience.

You're the one that started a thread complaining about how *terrible* the relics were without actually knowing enough about them to actually make an educated decision about any of it. I corrected you and matter of factly told you that you had a completely flawed interpretation of the relics as well as obviously getting the math wrong. I never insulted you beyond telling you that you didn't know what you were talking about (which is patently obvious and less of an insult than it is a factual observation).

Conversely, you decided to guess my intentions as a self-aggrandizing show off with a need to inflate my own sense of self importance by correcting someone when they got something wrong rather than someone with little patience for idiots complaining about things they have no reason to complain about and is active in correcting misinformation and ensuring that useful information gets spread to anyone interested in learning it.

Next time, I suggest you have the humility and maturity to realize you're wrong when corrected rather than throwing a tantrum and casting aspersions about someone just because they didn't coddle when you were explicitly wrong and they corrected you (though I do applaud you for the most excellent use of "acerbic jacknape"; I found it most amusing especially since I often describe myself in a very similar manner).

If you had asked what the best relics were and why, I would have provided an answer with a coherent and comprehensive explanation for each of them. I just really don't have much tolerance for misinformation or overreactions from people drawing flawed conclusions from said misinformation. It's got nothing to do with my own ego (at least consciously).

As such, shame on *you*. I've done *craptons* for this community so I don't really feel the need to quash new players for any reason other than making sure they know more after the encounter than they did before.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

KurtDunn's Avatar


KurtDunn
07.04.2013 , 03:57 PM | #10
You wouldn't have such a massive reply if you didn't think you needed to defend yourself against a legitimate critique of your behavior.

Someone called you out on being a bully. No matter how right you are, that doesn't change that you're trying to demean someone to make yourself feel good.