Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Questions of the sexuality of companions in swtor

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Questions of the sexuality of companions in swtor

Raltar
07.04.2013 , 01:36 PM | #11
What I think will happen is they will make two new companions along the lines of Treek and HK-51 that you can get through in game means(not for Cartel Coins) that will be gay. This is better than re-writing the current companions as something they weren't intended to be.

Tatile
07.04.2013 , 01:57 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Raltar View Post
What I think will happen is they will make two new companions along the lines of Treek and HK-51 that you can get through in game means(not for Cartel Coins) that will be gay. This is better than re-writing the current companions as something they weren't intended to be.
Some companions where intended to be totally hero-sexuality (i.e. bi/pansexual). This was stated at the Guild Summit, but the companions themselves were never named.

All current romance companions are herosexual*, they only discriminate based on gender, so it is not unreasonable for that restriction to be lifted.

(Quinn will romance an alien, Light-sided, Body 4 Warrior as readily as he will a Pureblood, Dark V, Body 1 Warrior, regardless of how they treat Vette, talk to him (outside of romance prompts) and generally act. He is already made to satisfy the "my character is how I want them, but the companion must follow the romance if I say, regardless", so the extension is only logical.)

Callaron
07.04.2013 , 02:05 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Not that everything has to be free, but subs have a point in something should be obtainable in game. Notice how they don't give subs access to a much sought after color combo (of the color combos they have in place anyways...maybe I'll get lucky and Black/Tan will be easily available to subs), and instead say "We throw you some color combos, but yeah, not likely ones many would want."

Also, really, cut scenes...outside of expansions, that should just be an obvious one

New companions, as a sub, I feel they can be cartel market and I have no worries on it. I mean sure, we could be some of the mindless sheep who think make everything CM is the best way to go.

But if they make the companions Bi, it's not Pay2Gay or else it'd be Pay2Straight too
Having them available to subs would be great as well, I almost mentioned it earlier in fact.
But then the question came to mind "What if you cancel the sub?" does the companion just go into locked out mode? Similar to those times where a companion is unavailable because of story reasons - AKA kidnapped, crash landed into a hostile zone, etc...?
As for the Pay2Gay commment, you know some would still bring it up - despite the fact that it'd be completely irrelevant.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

Raltar
07.04.2013 , 02:11 PM | #14
Herosexuality is incredibly lazy writing. I'd much rather have a new companion for SGR than the current ones.

Tatile
07.04.2013 , 02:13 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Callaron View Post
As for the Pay2Gay commment, you know some would still bring it up - despite the fact that it'd be completely irrelevant.
Actually, the idea of putting all SGRA companions (but no OGRA companions) on the CM essentially holds that non-heterosexual relationships are not 'standard' nor should they be considered so and that it is perfectly reasonable to say that straight people should get their content free (bundled with the game), but that LGB players should be paying extra for their content (the Cartel Market). And this wouldn't be some up-start company, this would be EA, who stand by their inclusive policies, and Bioware, who have made a reputation of being inclusive and having LGB relations as standard in their games.

But I guess the feelings of the LGBT community are irrelevant to a discussion about same-sex relationships in video games

Callaron
07.04.2013 , 02:26 PM | #16
Which would be a valid complaint, but at the same time also the reason why we won't be able to get new things - at least until Bioware makes the expense of "upgrading" the current companions.
Well, no "new things" beyond generic companions with no romance interest la HK and Treek.
Thanks for showing us you listen to our feedback, Bioware!
Join the Galactic Referral Army today and see the galaxy! (with a free character transfer and some other shiny Cartel Market unlocks!)
Suggestion for letting us add certain story characters to our Strongholds.

SithKoriandr
07.04.2013 , 03:27 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
But I guess the feelings of the LGBT community are irrelevant to a discussion about same-sex relationships in video games
Irrelevant to the community outside the game? Yes. Totally.

Irrelevant to the community inside the game? No. But judging by posts in the general forum, I'd say there are many who are of the mind, paying extra for content is okay, and this would be those who are and are not part of the community.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry