Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Roleplaying Guide: Being Sith


Wolvines's Avatar


Wolvines
09.13.2013 , 04:56 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerAcalan View Post
Counterpoint: Absolutely nothing you have said relates in any possible way to ether my quoited post nor the topic itself. The topic is a how-to on Roleplaying Sith. The post of mine you quoted is in response to someone talking about how George Lucas didn't know how to write Sith despite being the man who brought us Darth Vader.

Your post is a collection of ramblings that at best, translates into RP fashion and style and a comparison of SWG to SWTOR. NONE OF WHICH was mentioned until you brought it up. Not to mention you end it with your definition of "Real RP".

My challenge to you: Respond with an actual response regarding Role Playing a believable Sith and do not get side tracked by having an authentic look or making comparisons to other games set in eras that really had little to no Jedi/Sith presence at all.
So what if I miss quoted you? I roleplayed for 14 years now. I know what true roleplay is, and that isnt part of role playing games. Roleplaying is an art. Not some 'Hi, I am just passing by in dune sea as an sith' or what ever. You need an roleplaying partner. Cantina fly exists because it can be used to start an RP.

Thats RP for you. I am not comparing anything ot other games, I said SWG had cantina flys because of this. Which was strongly supported by the amount of skills a character could create, thus leading to many many unique and non RL costing money or insane amount of credits. You could actually RP about anything. Even if you had unlocked jedi pre CU. It would only be fired on you if people actually saw you doing stuff.

Real RP means actual interaction too. Not some "HEY I GOTTA KILL XX MOB OF THESE".


Where's the neutrlaitiy on RP servers in SWTOR? THere is none. Why are there RP -PVP servers? So people can just type in warzone, being jedi or sith ro whatever role your doing? I mean, Come on. Get real. This topic doesnt add to the art of roleplaying.

Your all expected to go and 'RP with questing. Leveling and ****.'. Thats not roleplaying, no matter how you defien your so called definition of RPing a sith.
Quote:
A Sith is not a cantina fly.
There are Sith who enjoy a good cantina, and there are even high-class, snooty parties that some Sith attend (such as in the Inquisitor storyline). But these facts by no means indicate that Sith spend the majority of their time, or even hours of their time, in Cantinas chatting it up with mercenaries, bounty hunters, and the average space-Joe. Sith have ambition, goals, and duties they must maintain, not to mention a political image to portray to other Sith to keep themselves from seeming an easy target.
Once again - Where is the neutrality so that NPC's dont attack? No RP there.

How can empire chars sit in a cantina maybe udner cover of a replu city or planet?

Same goes for reverse. Please?

Dont get me wrong, but the SWTOR does not qualify at all to what SWG had to offer. You dont get my point because you probally did not even play SWG.

RP requires partners.

SWTOR RP servers are just PVE/PVP servers with 'RP" in name.

TechbotAlpha's Avatar


TechbotAlpha
09.13.2013 , 05:49 AM | #22
So....hang on, are you saying that if you RP while doing missions and stuff that's not just sat in a Cantina you're...'doing it wrong'?

Might want to rephrase that, before some of us call utter Bantha turd...

TylerAcalan's Avatar


TylerAcalan
09.13.2013 , 05:58 AM | #23
Complete and utter challenge fail.

Yes, I played SWG. Don't assume.

I don't give a **** how long you Roleplayed. That accounts for nothing. You can roleplay for 20 years and STILL get it wrong. You can just roleplay for the first time RIGHT THIS SECOND and get it right first time go. I've seen THAT done.

You are still comparing game mechanics. The point of this topic is to introduce people to the lore of being Sith. NOT compare SWG to SWTOR and point out game mechanics. Which you have done THRICE.

I don't even know what the hell to make of you ripping out a chunk of Sith getting out of the cantina and not hanging around them 24/7 to do nothing but Cantina RP. Have you even made an attempt to get out of the cantina yourself and go looking for RP OUTSIDE the cantina? Maybe go find Sith out conquering the galaxy? Sith overseeing ruin excavation for relics? Sith sitting in a desk somewhere filling out and signing paperwork that allows their business/personal forces/undercover agents/ect. to function without collapsing? THAT is the point of Sith "Not being Cantina Barflies".

They have an Empire to run. Said Empire will collapse if it isn't maintained. Said maintenance will not happen if all Sith do is stand around in the cantina drinking until they pass out.

And you had best give a **** when you go quoiting someone. If someone quotes me that's a sign they plan to respond to what I wrote. Not write some half baked half post that doesn't even address the original topic. You can be damn sure I'M going to care if you quote me because I sure as hell will respond to the content in the post that quoted me.

That said you have lost all creditability.

GOOD. DAY SIR. /hat

Xakthul's Avatar


Xakthul
09.13.2013 , 02:16 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by TechbotAlpha View Post
So....hang on, are you saying that if you RP while doing missions and stuff that's not just sat in a Cantina you're...'doing it wrong'?

Might want to rephrase that, before some of us call utter Bantha turd...

This. I run RP aboard my ship with my guildmates. We form an ops group and pretend we are a strike force, expeditionary force, undercover spymasters, or some such. Part of the RP is sitting in a bar, acting like normal, albeit undercover adventurers.

Also, a bit off topic, but, as my BH or Smuggler, I do merc jobs for other players who have the creds.... gets me to 2 or 3m in four or five hours.


Therefore, I call "utter Bantha turd"
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

TechbotAlpha's Avatar


TechbotAlpha
09.14.2013 , 05:40 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerAcalan View Post
Have you even made an attempt to get out of the cantina yourself and go looking for RP OUTSIDE the cantina? Maybe go find Sith out conquering the galaxy? Sith overseeing ruin excavation for relics? Sith sitting in a desk somewhere filling out and signing paperwork that allows their business/personal forces/undercover agents/ect. to function without collapsing? THAT is the point of Sith "Not being Cantina Barflies".
This reminds me of something that made me stop and watch in Kaas City fairly recently, actually. It was in the little square where you get the mission to defuse the bombs around the place, and two Sith were stood in the middle with sabres drawn. I figured it was just another typical, badly done RP fight, so went about nabbing the bombs to get that cleared.

As I went around, though, I heard the actual local text of that encounter. And I actually went back and watched to the conclusion because, get this; it was actually *good*. Seemed to be a Master/Apprentice thing where the Apprentice had wanted to prove herself. Sith being Sith, she ended up limping off with a sprained leg. But it was *very* well done. No godmodding, not 'bru-ha-ha' cliche stuff. Just quality RP which was IC for Sith.

If only HALF the RP on TOR was as good as those two. Then I wouldn't have to despair wandering the Jedi Temple and reading badly spelled idle chatter from supposed Jedi talking about relationships and the like, along with 'Masters' having rage filled arguments with each other. Some people just don't GET it -_-

Wolvines's Avatar


Wolvines
09.14.2013 , 06:09 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerAcalan View Post
Complete and utter challenge fail.

Yes, I played SWG. Don't assume.

I don't give a **** how long you Roleplayed. That accounts for nothing. You can roleplay for 20 years and STILL get it wrong. You can just roleplay for the first time RIGHT THIS SECOND and get it right first time go. I've seen THAT done.

You are still comparing game mechanics. The point of this topic is to introduce people to the lore of being Sith. NOT compare SWG to SWTOR and point out game mechanics. Which you have done THRICE.

I don't even know what the hell to make of you ripping out a chunk of Sith getting out of the cantina and not hanging around them 24/7 to do nothing but Cantina RP. Have you even made an attempt to get out of the cantina yourself and go looking for RP OUTSIDE the cantina? Maybe go find Sith out conquering the galaxy? Sith overseeing ruin excavation for relics? Sith sitting in a desk somewhere filling out and signing paperwork that allows their business/personal forces/undercover agents/ect. to function without collapsing? THAT is the point of Sith "Not being Cantina Barflies".

They have an Empire to run. Said Empire will collapse if it isn't maintained. Said maintenance will not happen if all Sith do is stand around in the cantina drinking until they pass out.

And you had best give a **** when you go quoiting someone. If someone quotes me that's a sign they plan to respond to what I wrote. Not write some half baked half post that doesn't even address the original topic. You can be damn sure I'M going to care if you quote me because I sure as hell will respond to the content in the post that quoted me.

That said you have lost all creditability.
GOOD. DAY SIR. /hat
Someone's mad for cantina fly, whom's RP definition is wrong too.

Cantina fly's are people who often seek RP. Not go PVE.

Not pretend to be a star fighter, or strike team.

Sorry.. but people like you ruin it for many by telling them to go away.

Cantina's are used for meeting other's, to actually start a scene. At least thats how it goes in SWG. So once again, stop being mad.

Also, RPing a strike team is great rp? for what? Killing NPC's? Yes, great RP. Nothing art about not writing a story.

Also, you dont understand it at all.

You say sith wants to conquer the galaxy, You need to learn that sith originally was aspecies, not necessairy out for the galaxy too.

Xakthul's Avatar


Xakthul
09.14.2013 , 06:47 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolvines View Post
Also, RPing a strike team is great rp? for what? Killing NPC's? Yes, great RP. Nothing art about not writing a story.

Also, you dont understand it at all.
Was this in reference to me?
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

TechbotAlpha's Avatar


TechbotAlpha
09.14.2013 , 08:37 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolvines View Post
-snip-
Just...please, stop talking. I don't think The Stupidô is infectious, but it's still horrible to have to read. Go and do whatever it is you do, but stop telling people they are 'doing it wrong'. ANY RP is RP, it's that simple.

Xakthul's Avatar


Xakthul
09.14.2013 , 12:32 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by TechbotAlpha View Post
Just...please, stop talking. I don't think The Stupidô is infectious, but it's still horrible to have to read. Go and do whatever it is you do, but stop telling people they are 'doing it wrong'. ANY RP is RP, it's that simple.
Yep. If the RP is fun, it's 'good' RP. If the RP is boring, it's 'bad'. That is all.
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

TechbotAlpha's Avatar


TechbotAlpha
09.15.2013 , 04:53 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Xakthul View Post
Yep. If the RP is fun, it's 'good' RP. If the RP is boring, it's 'bad'. That is all.
While there's still slightly more to it than that (godmoding is never good RP, for instance) the principle is sound, yeah. Whether it's hitting mobs, planning missions or two smugglers chilling in a bar, so long as it fits the game-canon and all, it should be fine.