Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Roleplaying Guide: Being Sith


TriggerBlade's Avatar


TriggerBlade
07.18.2013 , 07:16 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerAcalan View Post
And yet everyone is expected to follow the rules laid out by his original work yes? Then the fact he sucks is your personal opinion. However he still wrote the guidelines you're expected to adhere to.
Bad move dude. If there's one thing an RPer can't stand is being told how to RP. Especially when it comes to the creator of the mythos they are RPing.

TylerAcalan's Avatar


TylerAcalan
07.19.2013 , 04:46 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by TriggerBlade View Post
Bad move dude. If there's one thing an RPer can't stand is being told how to RP. Especially when it comes to the creator of the mythos they are RPing.
Still does not dispute the point that the original creator knows best about their creation. This can apply to individual characters, to the universe and mythos within.

Of course if RP'ers can't stand to be told how to RP, then why do we write guides like this one which do exactly that?

Love him or hate him. Everything here is built around the vision one man had. His ideas were the foundation everything else was build upon. To dispute that is to remove that foundation. Without the foundation, the structure collasped.

Perhaps that answers the question of why we write guides like this. Because there are people who don't have an idea of what the foundation actually IS. They play the way they want to play and get rejected because their foundation isn't the same as the foundation set down by the man who created the mythos and wind up rejected, ostracized, and eventually devolve into trolls in order to take revenge. If they can't have it their way, then nobody can have fun.

Saying that RP'ers don't want to be told how to play is a double edged sword. Because it discourages the creation and viewing of guides like this in order to be a point of reference to understand the foundation of the mythos and allow for a more accepted style of play. In return this leads to fewer problems.

TriggerBlade's Avatar


TriggerBlade
07.19.2013 , 01:10 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerAcalan View Post
Still does not dispute the point that the original creator knows best about their creation. This can apply to individual characters, to the universe and mythos within.

Of course if RP'ers can't stand to be told how to RP, then why do we write guides like this one which do exactly that?

Love him or hate him. Everything here is built around the vision one man had. His ideas were the foundation everything else was build upon. To dispute that is to remove that foundation. Without the foundation, the structure collasped.

Perhaps that answers the question of why we write guides like this. Because there are people who don't have an idea of what the foundation actually IS. They play the way they want to play and get rejected because their foundation isn't the same as the foundation set down by the man who created the mythos and wind up rejected, ostracized, and eventually devolve into trolls in order to take revenge. If they can't have it their way, then nobody can have fun.

Saying that RP'ers don't want to be told how to play is a double edged sword. Because it discourages the creation and viewing of guides like this in order to be a point of reference to understand the foundation of the mythos and allow for a more accepted style of play. In return this leads to fewer problems.
Someone on a forum with common sense, logic and basic reasoning! Kill it with fire!

-Yes I'm kidding-

TylerAcalan's Avatar


TylerAcalan
07.19.2013 , 02:44 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TriggerBlade View Post
Someone on a forum with common sense logic and basic reasoning! Kill it with fire!

-Yes I'm kidding-
If you strike me down with fire I will become more fire proof then you could ever imagine.

TechbotAlpha's Avatar


TechbotAlpha
08.11.2013 , 07:53 AM | #15
Good post. The RP forum seems sadly slow around here. And, judging from the in-game stuff I've seen, could really do with some more traffic. Like you say, Sith hanging out in the Kaas cantina en masse, nearly god-mode level stuff on Korriban, etc.
It's just as bad, if not worse, on the Republic side; Jedi Templer RP where there were Jedi 'masters' getting furiosu with people, shouting, and 'force-shift'ing right through people like ghosts (I've heard that was actually an ability in canon. Still, the rest of the stuff? Ugh)

Certain points make sense. My Agent, for instance, if I ever get around to RPing him is a typical Imperial; he defers to those above him, gets on with his job quickly, efficiently and with the minimal amount of faff. He also has a totally sweet moustache =P
Same with my Guardian; I try and keep him as faithful to a proper Jedi as possible. Thankfully we have some good case-studies from the likes of Qui-Gon, who was an interesting character while sticking (as much as possible) to the Code.

My Sith, I'm less sure about. My Inquisitor (Rattataki) can come across as a almost nice person. She has a quirky sense of humour, sure, but she finds lots of things interesting and will generally listen to most people, if for nothing more than curiosity/nosiness sake. She also has a rather unhealthy fascination with force lightning and how much it can be applied to living things, heh. Not to mention not a single qualm about slaughtering anyone who gets in her way. Being a former slave her relationship with authority is....rocky. That may or may not be a problem.
My Warrior (Cathar) is different again. Being Cathar he's much more about honour in combat. He dislikes fighting those weaker than him, and isn't too fond of bullying and threats...at least not threats he doesn't intend to see-through pretty promptly. I've actually ended up making a fairly 50/50 light/dark choice with him. That doesn't mean he's a pushover, though, as anyone getting up in his face or actively challenging him will find. I need to refine him a little more, but he's been fun so far.

My Vanguard and Commando are polar opposites. My Vanguard is...well...she's basically Commander Shepard, heh (that VOICE. HNG <3 ) Not too shiny, not too dirty, she gets the job done, kicks ***, takes names and saves lives. She's in it for the Republic and all that.
My Commando is....well. Anyone remember the Commando from Command and Conquer? Obnoxious, in it for himself, yet painfully good at killing stuff? Yeah, that was the model for this guy. He *can* patch you up, but only so long as it serves him. Maybe he was in it for the Republic once, but that was a while ago and many scars later. Credits and self-interest are the primary motivators here. The only reason he's half working for the Republic at all is because he simply hates the Sith Empire more. He's useful, but it depends on your personality whether he's tolerable to be around, heh.

So, yeah. Sorry for wall of text >_> Just putting my own thoughts on what can and can't work...I think? gosh darn, I go on too much!

Bird_of_Thunder's Avatar


Bird_of_Thunder
08.16.2013 , 10:00 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by TriggerBlade View Post
I know, but I was just remarking on the Sith who think they are good RPers by having orgies in the Nexus Room. That place is turning into Moonguard Goldshire.
Good thing I haven't been to Dromund Kaas in a while
Drazir
Carnage Marauder
Ebon Hawk, U.S --> Star Forge, U.S.

Wolvines's Avatar


Wolvines
09.09.2013 , 09:09 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by TylerAcalan View Post
Still does not dispute the point that the original creator knows best about their creation. This can apply to individual characters, to the universe and mythos within.

Of course if RP'ers can't stand to be told how to RP, then why do we write guides like this one which do exactly that?

Love him or hate him. Everything here is built around the vision one man had. His ideas were the foundation everything else was build upon. To dispute that is to remove that foundation. Without the foundation, the structure collasped.

Perhaps that answers the question of why we write guides like this. Because there are people who don't have an idea of what the foundation actually IS. They play the way they want to play and get rejected because their foundation isn't the same as the foundation set down by the man who created the mythos and wind up rejected, ostracized, and eventually devolve into trolls in order to take revenge. If they can't have it their way, then nobody can have fun.

Saying that RP'ers don't want to be told how to play is a double edged sword. Because it discourages the creation and viewing of guides like this in order to be a point of reference to understand the foundation of the mythos and allow for a more accepted style of play. In return this leads to fewer problems.
The pronlem with being a cantina fly is not necessairy that its not RP.

The fact of matter is: Even RP servers are just like regular PVE servers. Same storys etc, same boring leveling. Same gear, same skills, same everything.

You compare SWG to SWTOR, btu let me notice you:

Over there, you didnt had silly "Must buy cartel to get unique dye's" to look good.

You had stuff like Tayloring, which if a master, where hugely differences in colours and such.

SWTOR just does not offer any RP for me in the sence that it is still flagged as PVP etc.

Real RP isnt just Empire vs Replu. Real RP means that you interact with other players.

Best places on SWG that would be cantinas and such. However, the amount of content (Which bioware should of learned from), was huge.

Xakthul's Avatar


Xakthul
09.12.2013 , 04:48 AM | #18
I'm not complaining...... I love people who sell dyes on the GTN. Where do you think I made the title "Green Marauder" from? I got a Destroyer set and dyed the chest green!
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf

TylerAcalan's Avatar


TylerAcalan
09.12.2013 , 08:05 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolvines View Post
The pronlem with being a cantina fly is not necessairy that its not RP.

The fact of matter is: Even RP servers are just like regular PVE servers. Same storys etc, same boring leveling. Same gear, same skills, same everything.

You compare SWG to SWTOR, btu let me notice you:

Over there, you didnt had silly "Must buy cartel to get unique dye's" to look good.

You had stuff like Tayloring, which if a master, where hugely differences in colours and such.

SWTOR just does not offer any RP for me in the sence that it is still flagged as PVP etc.

Real RP isnt just Empire vs Replu. Real RP means that you interact with other players.

Best places on SWG that would be cantinas and such. However, the amount of content (Which bioware should of learned from), was huge.
Counterpoint: Absolutely nothing you have said relates in any possible way to ether my quoited post nor the topic itself. The topic is a how-to on Roleplaying Sith. The post of mine you quoted is in response to someone talking about how George Lucas didn't know how to write Sith despite being the man who brought us Darth Vader.

Your post is a collection of ramblings that at best, translates into RP fashion and style and a comparison of SWG to SWTOR. NONE OF WHICH was mentioned until you brought it up. Not to mention you end it with your definition of "Real RP".

My challenge to you: Respond with an actual response regarding Role Playing a believable Sith and do not get side tracked by having an authentic look or making comparisons to other games set in eras that really had little to no Jedi/Sith presence at all.

Xakthul's Avatar


Xakthul
09.12.2013 , 06:00 PM | #20
Is it out of character to have married Vette, had a kid, adopted Pierce, Quinn, and Broonmark as brothers, and Pierce marrying Jaesa?
Duelist Mixalot, Grand Champ Tellsa, Lord Saml, Apprentice Syynx, Captain Cirris, Skirmisher Janewei, Jedi Knight Jugger'not, Agent Ez'zio of <Wookies and Cream>, Harbinger
"Aim for the trolls! Kill the trolls!"- Gandalf