Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Favorite Villain?

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

CourtneyWoods
07.01.2013 , 01:11 PM | #1 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hey everyone,

Thought I would pop in here and contribute to the land of off-topicness. As some of you may or may not know, my major in college was "Villainy in literature, film, and other media." I spent four years reading/watching/playing different mediums and focusing on the villains in those mediums - everything from Iago to Voldemort.

So my question to you is do you have a favorite villain? If so, what do you think makes them a great villain?
Courtney Woods | Lead Community Coordinator
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.]

Darka
07.01.2013 , 01:13 PM | #2
Currently - Joffery Baratheon
He is played so well I just want to punch him in the face, not so much a villain but a angry little spoilt King.
He does have some good lines, and a touch of darkness mixed with the young naievity

jedibantha
07.01.2013 , 01:15 PM | #3
Literature: Iago. Got to read his parts in English, and It was sooo much fun. Many of my favorite villains are manipulators, and no one fits the bill better than he.
Film: Vader. "Apology accepted, Captain Needa"
Video Games: Darth Traya. See above: Manipulators. Saren Arterius gets honorable mention, along with the Man of a Million Girlfriends,
Spoiler
TV: That bastard Joffrey. So very punchable. oh, and Moriarty from Sherlock. Almost forgot about him trying to not think about that show until October.
Master Selrac'Aturi Astelrinne, Jedi Shadow(55)- Master Atraeus Astelrinne, Jedi Guardian(55)-Major Sorenalen Creno, Commando(55)-Captain Telemachus Creno, Gunslinger (55)
Praetor of Pax Republica, Prophecy of the Five

hunterraaze
07.01.2013 , 01:21 PM | #4
Sounds strange, but Makuta, from the Lego toy line Bionicle. He had it all. He even destroyed their ENTIRE planet.
I also really like Sgt. Barnes from Platoon, he may or may not be considered a villian perhaps, but he was pretty b B.A.
"Well, if people would make it more about me, I wouldn't have to"
~Iryllia

MokaSith
07.01.2013 , 01:29 PM | #5
I would say that being able to empathize with a villain makes them a bit more real and enjoyable to me. Bond villains would be an obvious example of this, as they are often men that just want to improve the world, albeit in a twisted way. So, for me, a villain with believable and, in a way, reasonable motives are the best kind. That being said:

Literature: Tie between Randall Flagg from The Stand and Napoleon from Animal Farm
Film: Vader is an obvious choice, though I also liked old-school General Zod or Ciguhr from No Country for Old Men

Scorpassailant
07.01.2013 , 01:31 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by CourtneyWoods View Post
Hey everyone,

Thought I would pop in here and contribute to the land of off-topicness. As some of you may or may not know, my major in college was "Villainy in literature, film, and other media." I spent four years reading/watching/playing different mediums and focusing on the villains in those mediums - everything from Iago to Voldemort.

So my question to you is do you have a favorite villain? If so, what do you think makes them a great villain?
Sounds like a fun, interesting major

Darth_Moonshadow
07.01.2013 , 01:31 PM | #7
Gandhi from Civ V.

That lying butthole.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

jedibantha
07.01.2013 , 01:33 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by mokasith View Post
i would say that being able to empathize with a villain makes them a bit more real and enjoyable to me. Bond villains would be an obvious example of this, as they are often men that just want to improve the world, albeit in a twisted way. So, for me, a villain with believable and, in a way, reasonable motives are the best kind. That being said:

Literature: Tie between randall flagg from the stand and napoleon from animal farm
film: Vader is an obvious choice, though i also liked old-school general zod or ciguhr from no country for old men
Kneel! Kneel before Zod!

Edit: Site, y u no let me caps lock?
Master Selrac'Aturi Astelrinne, Jedi Shadow(55)- Master Atraeus Astelrinne, Jedi Guardian(55)-Major Sorenalen Creno, Commando(55)-Captain Telemachus Creno, Gunslinger (55)
Praetor of Pax Republica, Prophecy of the Five

GalnarDegana
07.01.2013 , 01:34 PM | #9
My favorite villain is one that truly believes he is right. It is just that his morality is so twisted, he is doing terrible things for perfectly justifiable reasons in his own mind. He sees himself as the hero.

TV: Andrew Scott's Moriarty in Sherlock. Absolutely hilarious and terrifying. Truly sadistic and crazy, and most importantly, brilliant.

Movies: Khan in Star Trek. Both versions, in The Wrath of Khan and Into Darkness. In spoiler tags. just in case,
Spoiler
Also, Ra's al Ghul in print and film for his worthy attempts at world balance and purification. Unfortunately that came with death for millions, but "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." Oh wait...too many crossovers.

Gaming: Revan, because he was an almost counterproductive Sith Lord, leaving the structure of a galaxy in place while simultaneously ruining it. A very complicated villain/hero, about whom I would read dozens of books.

Greenify
07.01.2013 , 01:35 PM | #10
Recent Movie: Zod, Man of steel (Recent)
SWTOR: Thanaton
TV Series: Alexi Volkoff (Chuck)
BOOK: Capitol (Hunger Games) I know the president is the real bad guy but it just seems like everyone is against them, shame they didn't show it well in the film.
Game: Sion, Love this guy, So scary (well for a kid)