Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone else a massive fan of Doctor Who?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Anyone else a massive fan of Doctor Who?

Alavastre
08.02.2013 , 06:25 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by Cyberwoman View Post
Exciting news, the 12th Doctor will be revealed on a special program this Sunday on BBC One and simulcast on BBC America!

Looking forward to it!
Ah, you beat me to it. Can't wait. This will be interesting.

I can see into the future!
P1: This new guys sucks!
P2: I wish Matt Smith was staying.
P3: None of them are as good as Tennant.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. Thomas Jefferson

NilethStar
08.02.2013 , 04:07 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
Ah, you beat me to it. Can't wait. This will be interesting.

I can see into the future!
P1: This new guys sucks!
P2: I wish Matt Smith was staying.
P3: None of them are as good as Tennant.
Isn't that how the fandom always deals with new doctors.

Cyberwoman
08.02.2013 , 04:42 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by NilethStar View Post
Isn't that how the fandom always deals with new doctors.
Yep.

New Doctors are always treated with suspicion and raised eyebrows as they declare the old Doctor the best, before the new Doctor is accepted this new one to the family, and then the grieve as this Doctor leaves. The new Doctor is treated with suspicion and raised eyebrows as they declare the old Doctor the best, before the new Doctor is accepted etc . . .

The same goes for writer of the series as well. Fandom is rather predictable with its cycles!
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who
Chinbu, Hekit, Shieye, Hunk'a, Bi'song, Paign'ton, Ga'vin, Char-bi
Griffa, Ga'athei, Valamist , V'woolf, Equ'mar, No'lara, Vampora

BacaWicket
08.02.2013 , 10:51 PM | #44
doc hoo is pretty good but SW and ST are waaaaay better

xxdarkscopzxx
08.03.2013 , 03:37 PM | #45
Quote: Originally Posted by BacaWicket View Post
doc hoo is pretty good but SW and ST are waaaaay better
they arent comparable because Doctor Who is a religion ... :/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Csjr...FoqdBiwOKSkPXx

Darth_Moonshadow
08.04.2013 , 12:36 PM | #46
Peter Capaldi.

What a wonderful choice for number 12.

But I still hope 13 is a Lady. The Doctor could use a feminine touch.
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Cailahan
08.04.2013 , 12:51 PM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Moonshadow View Post
Peter Capaldi.

What a wonderful choice for number 12.

But I still hope 13 is a Lady. The Doctor could use a feminine touch.
Peter Capaldi - A perfect veteran actor for the role. Also another Scotsman at the helm.

No to a female Doctor though. He is a man and has always been a man and should remain a man. If it was reversed and a female had played the Doctor for 50 years, it would never even be considered to let a man play the role. Damn Moffat for adding in that throwaway line.

We really need to stop messing with established characters (looking at you Elementary)

Darth_Moonshadow
08.04.2013 , 01:01 PM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Cailahan View Post
Peter Capaldi - A perfect veteran actor for the role. Also another Scotsman at the helm.

No to a female Doctor though. He is a man and has always been a man and should remain a man. If it was reversed and a female had played the Doctor for 50 years, it would never even be considered to let a man play the role. Damn Moffat for adding in that throwaway line.

We really need to stop messing with established characters (looking at you Elementary)
Why not? Time Lords have been known to change genders during regenerations. It's an established biological function that has happened to other Time Lords. As long as the Doctor remains a hero and a savior, should it matter the gender? What is so wrong about a Time Lady taking the reins?
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post

And I love Darth Moonshadow's responses.
B

Cyberwoman
08.04.2013 , 01:12 PM | #49
Peter Capaldi, a wonderful choice. He is a fantastic actor and has a clear love of the show (He was in The Fires of Pompeii and the amazing Torchwood: Children of Earth) I will miss Matt deeply, but I have a good feeling about Doctor number Twelve!

Quote: Originally Posted by Cailahan View Post

Well it is an established fact of the show that Time Lords can regenerate in to women (It was Neil Gaiman who really introduced it in to canon, although the idea has existed since Tom Baker's time) but more importantly, there is no aspect of the Doctor that is gender specific. I mean, what it is about being an eccentric time-traveling alien who saves the universe from evil and destruction that means it must be played by a man?

I'm not saying it must be played by a woman, but I just don't see why a female Doctor would not work, or why female actresses should be ignored. I didn't really think we would have one this time, but I think Doctor number 13 . . . that could be a different story.
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who
Chinbu, Hekit, Shieye, Hunk'a, Bi'song, Paign'ton, Ga'vin, Char-bi
Griffa, Ga'athei, Valamist , V'woolf, Equ'mar, No'lara, Vampora

Tatile
08.04.2013 , 01:29 PM | #50
As long as the Doctor isn't written by Stefen Moffat, his depictions of the female companions have been somewhat problematic.

I do miss Ten and Donna running around the Universe being awesome best friends. Moffat seems to think you can't have a close relationship between a man and a woman without there being a weird romantic undertone, and that's just the start.

But hey, Twelve isn't a bully. He's so much worse than that