Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Anyone else a massive fan of Doctor Who?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Off-Topic
Anyone else a massive fan of Doctor Who?

Selenial
01.04.2014 , 03:12 AM | #101
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
There are some excellent GIF and JPG/s out there that map out River and the Doctor. If you want to understand how they meet simply download one and ENJOY.

It really helps when you are watching an episode to know which River is in the episode.

Yeh, it can be a little confusing, but there are usually hints in the episode so you know which she is...
The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion. Culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from… save one.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Seeliara Sage
Force In Balance - The Harbinger

Arkerus
01.04.2014 , 11:39 PM | #102
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post

Yeh, it can be a little confusing, but there are usually hints in the episode so you know which she is...
Of course there is. I was just offering up some suggestions for those who have a hard time following it. EVEN with the hints its nice to have it laid out.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

Alavastre
01.06.2014 , 10:58 AM | #103
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
I understand some of your frustrations with Time of the Doctor but I think it was handled well. You have to understand the viewer doesn't see all of the Doctor's life. He lives for 100s upon 100s of years. We see only a very tiny fraction of it. He traveled with River for many, many years and we don't ever see that. We are only told about it. He could very well stay somewhere for 300 years because he can't leave and he doesn't care. He'll do it. Additionally, he thought this was his last stand as a living being. He thought he was done so why not make his stand there?

And just so you know, people have been complaining about regenerations taking WAY too long for a long time now. I LOVED seeing the instant change. JUST GET IT OVER WITH.

Finally.

And of course he's cocky. He's a new doctor and the more "traditional" doctors (see classic who) were VERY cocky. In the old series, he basically talks down to everyone because HE CAN.
I totally understand the story. It just doesn't work on screen. I know a lot of people that have the exact same criticisms as I do. They felt it was rushed, that there was too much stuff going on, and the regeneration was blah. I felt more emotion when Tennat left, and Matt Smith is my favorite. So far.
Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty. – Thomas Jefferson

chuixupu
01.06.2014 , 12:57 PM | #104
So, I started watching Dr. Who exactly one month ago starting with season 1 of 2005 and I just finished the last Christmas special. I also started watching classic stuff and I'm up to the Tom Baker years, but anyway, why the hell did I wait so long to finally watch this show, I don't know, it's been amazing. Aside from a few stinkers, I've loved all of it.

Also, for whatever reason, Matt Smith was my favorite doctor and just slain in the soul that he's gone so soon. I'm sure Peter Capaldi is going to be awesome and change was bound to happen sooner or later, but I'm still sad. i feel like he should have done one more season. Part of the problem is that I can't just jump right into the next episode and see the new doctor before I can think about it like I have been able to do. Gonna be a long 8-10 months.

I'm not sure why people are complaining about the regeneration scene. Everything leading up to it was a lot more emotional and intense, I mean he freaking destroyed the enemy fleets with regeneration energy. And nothing has been more tear-inducing than when he dropped the bowtie to the floor. And his speech was a lot more inspiring than "I don't want to go".
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

chuixupu
01.07.2014 , 04:43 PM | #105
Just found this article that is talking a bit more about season 8 and Capaldi. http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv...d-to-know.html

Quote:
Both Moffat and Capaldi's co-star Jenna Coleman agree that the 55-year-old actor will be "so different" to his 31-year-old predecessor Matt Smith, with the show's head writer promising an "old beast" with a "snarl".

"We've got used to two brilliant iterations of the younger, more puppy-dog Doctor and [David Tennant and Matt] have both been superlative," Moffat said in November. "But now it's time for the old beast to snarl at you for a bit!

"Sometimes you see that a bit in Matt Smith's Doctor - he will remind the people around him, 'I'm not really like this' - but I think Peter's Doctor will make that even clearer."

Also

Quote:
With his new team in place, Steven Moffat is promising an escape from the uber-slick Doctor Who we've seen of late - from August, expect something a little more "raw".

"You learn how to do [this show], you get really slick at it, and then you think you're really, really slick at it and everyone's started to yawn," he hinted. "And you think, 'Oh God, we're really slick at this but everyone knows what we're going to do'.

"So now we've got to actually get a bit raw at it and do it in a different direction…"
Not anything earthshaking and probably has been said before, but it helps me try and imagine what to expect. How would you describe more "raw" Dr. Who?

Arkerus
01.07.2014 , 10:43 PM | #106
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
I totally understand the story. It just doesn't work on screen. I know a lot of people that have the exact same criticisms as I do. They felt it was rushed, that there was too much stuff going on, and the regeneration was blah. I felt more emotion when Tennat left, and Matt Smith is my favorite. So far.
I agree that was a weakness of the episode. I totally get it.

I just don't care enough to let it bother me. I thought Matt's exit was great. Tenant's exit was so full of himself that I liked it, but didn't love it. And yes, that was his character so that's ok.

Arkerus
01.07.2014 , 10:45 PM | #107
Quote: Originally Posted by chuixupu View Post
Just found this article that is talking a bit more about season 8 and Capaldi. http://www.digitalspy.com/british-tv...d-to-know.html

Also

Not anything earthshaking and probably has been said before, but it helps me try and imagine what to expect. How would you describe more "raw" Dr. Who?
While it will be hard for me to replace Tom Baker and Matt Smith as my favorite actors who played the doctor, I am pumped about a darker, more vengeful doctor that I think is planned for Peter Capaldi.

chuixupu
01.08.2014 , 02:26 AM | #108
Yeah, the more I see of Peter Capaldi, the more I am excited, he appears to fantastic.

About the Christmas special, I do agree it felt rushed with too much info crammed in - probably because Matt Smith was confirming being in season 8 up through the summer and then decided to leave at the last minute and they were probably not intending on writing the lead up to his demise in just two specials.

Totally disagree on the regeneration scene though, I thought it was perfect. Way more epic than 10th. 10 destroyed the TARDIS with his regeneration energy. 11 destroyed all of his enemies. And like I said, I actually cried that time. I haven't cried for any other.

Selenial
01.17.2014 , 03:08 PM | #109
Quote: Originally Posted by Alavastre View Post
I hated Matt leaving to be honest, wish he'd stayed, though I understand it as a career move. Looking forward to Capaldi but Smith and Tennant will always be my favorites.

The episode was actually the shortest regeneration series ever, bit disappointing to say the least, for one of the finest doctors I've seen, but all good things must come to a close.

Tennant leaving was more emotional for me because he was always more serious and emotional as a doctor anyway, combined with the fact the line "I don't want to go" was added in by him just made me cry

Anyway, bring on Capaldi, but I'll miss you matt. Look forward to seeing your future works, and cannot wait for Capaldi+Smith+Tennant+River (Please PLEASE PPPLLLEEEAAASSSEEE) happen at one point. I beg of you steven >.>
Imagine the feels. The Laughs, the Jealousy of each doctor over their little wife :P
The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion. Culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from… save one.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Seeliara Sage
Force In Balance - The Harbinger

chuixupu
01.18.2014 , 02:55 AM | #110
Hah, I hadn't thought of that....having the last 3 doctors all together with River could be hilarious. I think she'll be probably not turn up much anymore, if at all, though, from what I have read.

Incidentally, with all this gushing over new doctors I just want to say I absolutely adored Tom Baker. He was so awesome.