Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Well, It was fun while it lasted...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Shadow / Assassin
Well, It was fun while it lasted...

Kitru
06.28.2013 , 10:56 AM | #1
Because of this.

Like I said, if there wasn't a Shadow fix coming in 2.3 or sooner, I was gonna quit the game. Since there's nothing in there about class fixes, I'm sad to say that I'm following through on it. The game just stopped being fun when I could be RNG gibbed because of bad content design and only got worse when the developers refused to do anything about it, much less do anything to admit that it might be a problem.

The community here was awesome. I loved the math, the camaraderie, and the discussions, but, at the end of the day, I played the game because it was fun. For those of you sticking it out, I applaud you and hope that, eventually, the devs decide that they actually need to balance PvE and respond to the PvE community rather than ignoring it. Maybe you guys will see me around somewhere else.

If something changes, I might come back, but, honestly, I doubt it. We did almost every conceivable thing that *could* have been done to elicit change, and it fell on deaf ears.

I'm sad to go, but, honestly, it just stopped being fun.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Scyrner
06.28.2013 , 11:21 AM | #2
No no no no no Kitru, you can't go. What are we going to do for excellent tank advice on the forums? I grant you the developers are idiots, and I grant that you have a right to be pissed off, but at the same time, think about how far the game has actually come since release, and realize that, for the most part, even the terrible balance in SWTOR isn't near as bad as the balance in other big name MMO's like Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning...

SWTOR has flaws, and some of them are doozies (shadow **** up, some of the animation changes, lolsmash) but there are good bits as well

Anyway...
If you are leaving, can we at least hope to still see you around the forums?

Kitru
06.28.2013 , 11:28 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Scyrner View Post
If you are leaving, can we at least hope to still see you around the forums?
I've got 24 days left on my sub, so, you might see me bouncing around til then. I'm not going to be going to a different MMO either. TOR was the best one I ever played, and I doubt I'll ever find one that quite matches up: the community was the best, the game and the fights were fun, the lore and story were interesting. It was everything I wanted. Until the devs screwed it up with their inactivity and lack of communication.

If you want to find me, I've been getting more and more active with PnP gaming over on roll20.net. I can pretty much guarantee you'll find me over there (same account name too), since, if I'm no longer taken for raiding/dailies, it'll free up time for me to run more games. If people are interested, I'd to set up some kind of TOR-refugee weekly PnP game. The community here is *amazing*, and it's pretty much the only reason I stuck with it til now.
My New Class Idea

AlrikFassbauer
06.28.2013 , 12:00 PM | #4
What's broken with the Shadow ? I'm not following every discussion, and my Shadow is only level 14 or so ...
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction. (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

akabane_k
06.28.2013 , 12:04 PM | #5
long story short, their damage taken in raids is too unpredictable for them to be viable as tanks.

Kitru
06.28.2013 , 12:12 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer View Post
What's broken with the Shadow ? I'm not following every discussion, and my Shadow is only level 14 or so ...
Spikiness was bad enough and the spike hits were big enough that it was entirely possible for a Shadow to get insta-gibbed based on RNG. The only way you can avoid it is by stacking the living hell out of Endurance (thereby making you take more damage than a Guardian or VG while still being spikier, so what's the point if you're worse than the other tanks in *both* categories?). It doesn't help that they buffed the living bejeesus out of Guardians so there isn't even a compelling reason to bring anything except a Guardian and the developers haven't done anything to fix *that* imbalance.

Basically, pre-2.0 tank balance was disgustingly amazing. The only thing that needed to be fixed was Guardian threat and, when they changed things for 2.0, they completely screwed it all up. *Completely* screwed it all up. It's been 3 months, and they've absolutely nothing about it.
My New Class Idea

Botho
06.28.2013 , 12:17 PM | #7
I can only speculate that given the pvp guy is the class balance guy (I think right?), class balances will come with 2.4 as part of the pvp update that 2.4 is supposed to be, on the other hand they could just chuck a bunch of maps in and change some rules/fix(introduce) some bugs. lol.

NoFishing
06.28.2013 , 12:28 PM | #8
To paraphrase: ...and a great disturbance was felt in the force. As if a million voices cried out in unison, "don't go".

:[

Kitru
06.28.2013 , 12:34 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Botho View Post
I can only speculate that given the pvp guy is the class balance guy (I think right?)
Afaik, there's a separate PvP team. From the way Damion Schubert described it, there's 3 distinct teams that each have a different development schedule: a PvP team, an art team, and a PvE team. I've got no clue where Peckenpaugh lands in there, but, from what he's said, he's the only class balance guy, so I'm not sure whether he's part of those teams or on his own. I would be *really* upset if he were part of the PvP team because that would mean they think that class balance only matters as far as PvP is concerned.
My New Class Idea

PlasmaJohn
06.28.2013 , 12:40 PM | #10
I've watched the PTS notes since about 1.6 and they rarely (never?) put everything in the first build, so maybe you're being a bit premature? On the other hand I have zero faith in Peckenpaugh, so yeah. Shame they couldn't have been bothered to reply with a "ok, we're looking at it" when solid proof was waved under their noses.

FWIW, I've enjoyed reading your analyses (along with KBN and dipstik) A big loss for the community IMO. Good luck in your future endeavors.

Audiva - Cogohi - Malkerson - Mysalia - OIejandro - Roxiani - Szachi
Aldriovok - Jubelee - Korduun - Mikkiani - Ojain - Oromunroe - Ryliani