Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Subscriber Appreciation Details?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Subscriber Appreciation Details?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lyshar
06.30.2013 , 09:50 AM | #71
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaywinnit View Post
At least the XP boosts are useful, for subs still leveling alts. But, yeah, they could do with fixing up that "loot" table..
Only if you get the item on that specific character, complementary means bind on pickup. And with collections in the picture nothing marked cartel market can be vendor trashed anymore.

I dread using the encrypted datacubes since I was waiting to get them all before using and don't even get a credit boost option when I do.

Whatever we get, bet on it being flagged cartel market, and that's nothing to call appreciation if it is. I'm really expecting that they are going to kick us while we're down here and keep beating on us while we're long dead.

lizziandme
06.30.2013 , 10:18 AM | #72
I'm hoping for a vet rewards system, somewhat tiered like on SWG - those who've been subbed since early access get "x", those 6 months later get "y" (early access get '"x & y" etc.) and so on. With an update every 3-6 months.

ApostleThirst
06.30.2013 , 10:24 AM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by Cleet_Xia View Post
Huge is right ! it costs a WHOLE FIVE BUCKS to upgrade to preferred status. I mean.... what a rip off.
I've played as referred. It's mildly better than F2P, but it still doesn't have nearly the same benefits as subs do.

Look, I get that people are leaving and they're upset. I'm not one of them; I'm still new to the game from their perspective. I still think this game is fun, but I have a problem when people disparage just how much better subs have it.

JediJonesJr
06.30.2013 , 10:24 AM | #74
free name change everything else buy with cartel points, thats the only appreciation you will get more cartel packs
Will Return After Lunch and lunch is never over.....

Jeweledleah
06.30.2013 , 11:22 AM | #75
Quote: Originally Posted by ApostleThirst View Post
I've played as referred. It's mildly better than F2P, but it still doesn't have nearly the same benefits as subs do.

Look, I get that people are leaving and they're upset. I'm not one of them; I'm still new to the game from their perspective. I still think this game is fun, but I have a problem when people disparage just how much better subs have it.
the benefits between being a sub and being preferred shrinks down the longer you play. when you are just starting to play, have no legacy, etc - its definitely better to sub. the question is - once you have higher level characters, maxed out legacy, etc - what is the motivation to keep subscribing? minor conveniences that can be circumvented in many ways with variety of unlocks and clever planning are really not much of a motivation. even the only really annoying inconvenience imo - inability to trade, I can cope with, just have to be more careful before choosing that need or greed button.

but being able to do flashpoints and operations, you say? operations have unlock and that onlock can be bought on GTN with credits made from a single TFB run, so you can literally support your raiding habit... with raiding. unless you do more than 3 flashpoints a week per character, you don't even need to buy that particular unlock (and those unlocks on my server are usually going for about 100k - which is equivalent of about 20 minutes of dailies per week.) one time unlocks can also be bought with in game credits and/or accumulated coins

me I'm an altoholic. I tend to run flashpoints every day. but not on the same character. I can go weeks without completing the 55 flashpoint weekly sometimes.

I play every day. and yet... what is my motivation to continue paying subscription other than goodness of my heart? (and I'm sorry, I'm too old to be that nice, and if I'm going to support someone out of the goodness of my heart, its going to be either animals, or small startups on kickstarter)

I won't claim to speak for OP, but when someone like me mentions subscriber perks and subscriber appreciation, we are talking about players who have been there from the start, who kept playing AND paying all this time. and no, 500 cartel coins a month is not much of an appreciation when you need them to buy something - subscription or not, and when they are cheaper to just buy outright if you must.

Kaywinnit
06.30.2013 , 08:29 PM | #76
Quote: Originally Posted by Jeweledleah View Post

I won't claim to speak for OP, but when someone like me mentions subscriber perks and subscriber appreciation, we are talking about players who have been there from the start, who kept playing AND paying all this time. and no, 500 cartel coins a month is not much of an appreciation when you need them to buy something - subscription or not, and when they are cheaper to just buy outright if you must.
This ^.

Whatever they do, it needs to recognize and support those of us who have been paying subs since day 1. The tiered/scaled approach is the best (the STO/Rift examples from earlier).

Most importantly, it needs to be something that no amount of CC can buy...ever.
Mal: Well look at this, appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big Damn Heroes, Sir.
Mal: Ain't we just.

MazakMatsura
06.30.2013 , 08:32 PM | #77
I bet it's just more fireworks that will show up in the mail.
(╯)╯︵ ︵ ︵
The Ebon Hawk
Love Ryan Davis 1979-2013

annabethchase
06.30.2013 , 09:12 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Agreed, but that doesn't mean the marketing gurus might not think it would.
They don't give players much credit for intelligence as a whole.

Marketing guru's aren't in the business of wringing out 1 last purchase at the expense of killing your trust in them. Bad marketing employees might think that way, but a marketing person with sense knows you build hype in a fair consistent and above board manner that demonstrates trust and values the customer.
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters

annabethchase
06.30.2013 , 09:16 PM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by MishraArtificer View Post
FFS, what is everyone's beef with the fireworks? I thought those were pretty cool! I saved mine and launched them from the bar on the Republic and Imperial Fleets at midnight on New Year's Eve.
Fireworks are a nice 1/2 year sub reward. If they go with a long term loyalty program, they should be very early on the totem pole with something more substantial coming later on.
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters

Soluss
06.30.2013 , 09:33 PM | #80
Quote: Originally Posted by Izorii View Post
I am really interested in this as well. I have been playing maybe 2 hours a week recently and am constantly thinking about cancelling my sub, The money is not a lot but if I am not using it I can easily drop to preferred with very little impact.

What I cant work out is what they could do for subscribers. I have 5000+ cartel coins because there is nothing I want to buy so giving me some extra ones wont really make me feel loved. We got given a free name change again, not bothered about that mine will probably never be used. Bonus XP again don't need it. What could they offer subscribers so they feel appreciated and yet not cause the majority of subscribers to say "Don't need it, Don't want it or Don't Care about it I would rather have X Y or Z"
For me, I feel valued by having content updates that don't cost subscribers extra.... by that I mean they don't cost cartel coins either. Im also talking about new content that a lot of people will use, unlike NIM mode older ops. They seem to be doing that the next update so Im good atm.

I have been playing MMOs a long time. A value of a sub, for me, is having stuff to do and getting more stuff to do when previous stuff is old and wore out. New ops, new flashpoints, new events, new warzones (I don't really pvp but those players need content too), expansions that have some gerth and depth to them. Makeb was a cool expansion and worth the 10 bucks but IMO is not enough unless they can do atleast 2 of those per year.

I don't feel like my sub was valuable from launch up to this point. Saying that, I took some time off, some more content came with Makeb and my sub felt valuable again. All my friends are gone and unfortunate for me, my friends is what keeps me logging in. I love to raid and Ill have to find a new guild at some point so Im not having as much fun as Id like to but I am having fun and the new update sounds good. If they can continue those type of updates, on a regular basis, then I feel the sub is worth it. If not then I will be taking another break. If I have to take a break and I find something else that holds my interest, then it is unlikely that I will be coming back. I hope I don't have to take another break because I really think this is a good game, its just still lacking a lot of stuff that I believe it should have.
James Ohlen: " For 2012 we really want players to feel like they're getting their money's worth. You're going to see so many changes and additions to the Star Wars Universe. It's going to be impressive. We have our Update 1.2 coming in the next week and then after that it's going to continue to roll out month after month. It's exciting."