Cross Faction Chat and Grouping

Graydon

You didn't watch the movies, did you?

Or the shows.

What? Nothing in the movies shows that the factions can't speak with each other.

Or read the books.

Nor do the books, and in the books the two main factions are now rejoined in one big happy Republic.

Or play the video games.

Again nothing here showing the factions can't communicate.

Or saw the word "WARS" in the title.

No where in the definition of War does it mention communication is made impossible. Nor does it pevent the possibility of a greater evil showing up that will require a joining of forces to defeat. Yuuzhan Vong as an example from the books you mention earlier.

Edited by Revenaught

I really want some Cross Faction communication so that my guild can communicate from both sides.

It doesn't have to be full 100% communication, but at LEAST give me the ability to make a Chat Channel for my Republic side to speak to my Imperial side. After all, we're ONE Guild why do we have to make things difficult?

What? Nothing in the movies shows that the factions can't speak with each other.

Nor do the books, and in the books the two main factions are now rejoined in one big happy Republic.

Again nothing here showing the factions can't communicate.

No where in the definition of War does it mention communication is made impossible. Nor does it pevent the possibility of a greater evil showing up that will require a joining of forces to defeat. Yuuzhan Vong as an example from the books you mention earlier.

We can already communicate via /say. Cross faction grouping and guilds, however, goes against the whole "REPUBLIC VS. EMPIRE" thing. You know, the POINT of Star WARS. We are at WAR. So you don't go talking to the enemy or work with them unless there is a greater threat and even then, you still try to take them out because it'll make your life easier with two enemies dead instead of one.

I actually like the idea of maybe a world boss that allows you to form an X-Faction group. Maybe on one of the Act 1 planets where you can say something like "The Treaty of Coruscant still stands." Makes less sense on Illum or Makeb obviously.

Try Ventrilo, or Mumble...if you have no standards, hook up Team Speak.:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

That doesn't work for everyone. Some people do not like to use Voice Chat. Some people are just plain shy. Some don't like Vent, or Team Speak, or Mumble. There are a lot of reasons why Voice Chat isn't a suitable option.

My Guild has a Ventrillo, and both sides use it, however, it does not make it any easier to RP, or set up Events for both sides. If it were a good solution, I would not be in favor of cross faction chat.

Basically, my guild spans both factions and I see no reason why I cannot at least make a chat channel for them to communicate in... Is it so immersion breaking? It wouldn't be like *you* have to join lol.

We can already communicate via /say. Cross faction grouping and guilds, however, goes against the whole "REPUBLIC VS. EMPIRE" thing. You know, the POINT of Star WARS. We are at WAR. So you don't go talking to the enemy or work with them unless there is a greater threat and even then, you still try to take them out because it'll make your life easier with two enemies dead instead of one.

My main point is that absolutely nothing in any of the established canon prevents communication or even limited co-operation in extreme circumstances between the factions.

My main point is that absolutely nothing in any of the established canon prevents communication or even limited co-operation in extreme circumstances between the factions.

But there is no extreme conditions. The only thing that could stand up against both the Republic and Empire is the Hutt Cartel, and as Makeb's story end, they're kind of busy nursing the severe butt whoop both sides laid to them. And in case you still haven't finished any of the class stories, the treaty is now broken and we are at full war. There will be no peace now.

But there is no extreme conditions. The only thing that could stand up against both the Republic and Empire is the Hutt Cartel, and as Makeb's story end, they're kind of busy nursing the severe butt whoop both sides laid to them. And in case you still haven't finished any of the class stories, the treaty is now broken and we are at full war. There will be no peace now.

So you agree then that nothing in canon decrees that the factions can't communicate with each other and co-operation is possible if a potential enemy to both were to arise?

Or the shows.

Or read the books.

Or play the video games.

Or saw the word "WARS" in the title.

Ah, you think you are funny, but you are rather obnoxious and short sighted. Maybe your signature has embolden you to post without thinking so much?

The Operations and Flashpoints are extreme events that are common threats to both the Empire and the Republic.

Here's a book for you to read:

http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Alliance-Star-Wars-Republic/dp/0345511336/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372434558&sr=8-1&keywords=fatal+alliance

I do understand its a never ending war spanning thousands and thousand of years. Wouldn't you think during that time there are some who realize that sometimes an alliance would benefit both sides?

Take some time to Quest and Adventure on Hoth and witness the Empire and Republic work together.

I personally would love to see some cross-faction cooperation- especially for operations and such.

Imagine if you could queue up for an operation- which each operation is supposed to represent a significant threat to the galaxy as a whole, and not a specific faction- and you find yourself in a group with a member of each of the main Republic and Imperial classes to take down something as threatening as the release of Soa.

I mean, many of these threats are thousands of years old, and it takes a group of 8-16 people to take down. Both factions benifit from the defeat of these opponents, and the gear drops (now that they are all standard turn-in tokens) are cross faction already.

It would also serve to cut down on the wait times for GF OPS because you don't have to wait for your specific faction to queue. The only thing they really would need to implement is a function to ensure that all who are in the op un-flag for PVP upon arrival in the Operation instance.

Edited by RisenDragon

Ah, you think you are funny, but you are rather obnoxious and short sighted. Maybe your signature has embolden you to post without thinking so much?

The Operations and Flashpoints are extreme events that are common threats to both the Empire and the Republic.

Here's a book for you to read:

http://www.amazon.com/Fatal-Alliance-Star-Wars-Republic/dp/0345511336/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372434558&sr=8-1&keywords=fatal+alliance

I do understand its a never ending war spanning thousands and thousand of years. Wouldn't you think during that time there are some who realize that sometimes an alliance would benefit both sides?

Take some time to Quest and Adventure on Hoth and witness the Empire and Republic work together.

Dude I OWN Fatal Alliance. I read that on my toilet, and unfortunately, that was a situation of personal benefit. Did you not read the book jacket? They were going to screw each other out of the secret of Cinzea anyway. And Hoth is an isolated instance, as as soon as you leave Hoth, you end up on Belsavis where the Empire released dangerous criminals to hurt the Republic and look for stuff during the chaos.

And if you actually paid attention to the Flashpoint stories, you'd know that Malgus and Satele believe that their own strike forces can do well on their own. There is no other greater threats in the universe. The Hutts are beaten, the Infinite Empire died out, the Terror is sealed and the Rakghouls were vaccinated. The only other threat out there that could possibly force the Republic and Empire to work together is Drear's Curse, and that story follows too closely to the Lich King storyline in Warcraft.

There is nothing left out there, and constantly making up Big Bads for expansions will lead to another Cataclysm dead lore situation, where everyone has become too jaded to care and want the game to end.

So you agree then that nothing in canon decrees that the factions can't communicate with each other and co-operation is possible if a potential enemy to both were to arise?

Yes, but there is no threat. And if there was, it still wouldn't stop both sides from trying to off each other. So communication is pointless unless you want to be told "Thanks for the help, and you can die along side the threat as well! Buh bye!"

Edited by Darth_Moonshadow

There is nothing left out there, and constantly making up Big Bads for expansions will lead to another Cataclysm dead lore situation, where everyone has become too jaded to care and want the game to end.

Yes, but there is no threat. And if there was, it still wouldn't stop both sides from trying to off each other. So communication is pointless unless you want to be told "Thanks for the help, and you can die along side the threat as well! Buh bye!"

There is always a new and more devastating threat just around the corner. Without new possibilities the game is over done with nothing to look forward to. I'm not saying the next threat has to require co-op to beat it but simply that trying to decree that nothing else can arise is foolish.

And just because the factions temporarily work together on a single mission in no way means the war is over. As you pointed out the one instance of this happening on Hoth didn't end the war and further collaborations won't do so either. Might I ask tho, if communication between the factions is so pointless why are you so opposed to it?

There is always a new and more devastating threat just around the corner. Without new possibilities the game is over done with nothing to look forward to. I'm not saying the next threat has to require co-op to beat it but simply that trying to decree that nothing else can arise is foolish.

And just because the factions temporarily work together on a single mission in no way means the war is over. As you pointed out the one instance of this happening on Hoth didn't end the war and further collaborations won't do so either. Might I ask tho, if communication between the factions is so pointless why are you so opposed to it?

Bioware cannot make a new threat without jumping through Lucas (and now Disney's) intellectual hoop. The story has to end on the canonical lore point: The end of the Old Republic Conflicts (Known by the New Republic as the Second Great Galactic War) must lead into the Darth Desolous conflict and then directly into the New Sith Wars. No new major threats can be added between those periods without requiring rewrites to the current timeline. Remember that nearly all the records of the Old Republic are vague by the New Republic time. The only records are the major players (The player classes and NPC's) and the wars itself. If adding in a brand new threat, the threat must be big enough to cause an impact to allow a truce, but can be wiped away quickly enough to not be remembered by Episode I, unless the threat is to be returned to in Episode VII (but that is up to Mr. Abrams). Doing that makes the entire story itself rather useless.

Plus, communications between the factions is a major breach of secrecy and any caught doing it would be executed for treason. Right now we can communicate via /say. /Whisper and /Guild is basically like your enemy your holocommunicator frequencies. It's a major immersion breaker. We know that this is a game, but it does require some semblance of immersion. Otherwise we lose the magic in the story. I oppose this because now a days, no one takes the immersion seriously anymore and it ruins the feeling. Why bother believing that I'm fighting the Jedi who persecute my choice of how to use the Force when they're calling me to come and raid with them?

You guys must have missed it in the movies:

-Leia talks with Tarkin and Vader about T's stench

-Obiwan chats it up with stormtroopers telling them to dont mess with his droids

-Bespin, they're chatting it up with the imps, though that was a semi-neutral area

-They chat it up with imperials when they are aboard a stolen ship

though after thinking about it, that is all just with /say, so i guess i made my own point invalid :rolleyes:

but i for one would love to be able to chat with my sister guild, so the Imperial Entanglements can chat it up with Less Imperial Entanglements

I really want some Cross Faction communication so that my guild can communicate from both sides.

It doesn't have to be full 100% communication, but at LEAST give me the ability to make a Chat Channel for my Republic side to speak to my Imperial side. After all, we're ONE Guild why do we have to make things difficult?

This. I totally get lack of cross-faction general chat. But the cross-faction restrictions in TOR has gone way overboard. Guildmates can't communicate, friends can't whisper to each other when playing on different sides, organizing stuff is harder since some people may be on the other side and countless things.

Sure, would be great if at least Ops were cross-faction, but I will settle just for custom chat channels. Just something, anything to improve the current communication wall between 2 factions.