By contacting a GM, can you have them free-up a character name?

Neravarine

I was forced to come up with another name for my character, when I transferred from Nadd's Sarcophagus to The Bastion. So I took a name, but I've grown to hate it. The original name I had before is being held by a level 1 bounty hunter still on Hutta. I contacted a GM already and I effectively got a automated response saying they can't do anything. I could have sworn I read on these forums of other people paging GM's and having names being opened up. Anyone have a GM do this for them?:rak_03:

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was forced to come up with another name for my character, when I transferred from Nadd's Sarcophagus to The Bastion. So I took a name, but I've grown to hate it. The original name I had before is being held by a level 1 bounty hunter still on Hutta. I contacted a GM already and I effectively got a automated response saying they can't do anything. I could have sworn I read on these forums of other people paging GM's and having names being opened up. Anyone have a GM do this for them?:rak_03:

Wayyyyy off topic, but my first server was Nadd's Sarcophagus too :D early access. I haven't been able to find another person from that server until now.

Why should you get access to a name that someone else has? If it was a lvl 1 toon that has been lvl 1 since launch day and the account holder has not logged in since one month after that day sure maybe then. But why is it if I have a lvl 50 toon that I played and then need to take the next 6 months off for whatever reason should I have to come back because someone wanted my name???:rak_02:

A GM isn't going to give you someone else's name.

Until such a time as they implement a system that frees up names using a predetermined set of criteria, the name belongs to whoever had it first.

This^ It hasn't happened, nor will it happen until the devs implement a system for dealing with it, thats if they ever decide to do something with names.

This^ It hasn't happened, nor will it happen until the devs implement a system for dealing with it, thats if they ever decide to do something with names.
I think at some point they probably will but it'll involve something like the account being unsubbed and not logged in for 6 months or so.

The easiest solution is to stop picking names based on existing sources and create original ones.

I've tried this 3 times, only to get that stupid automated droid saying it isn't possible. I haven't bothered since. The name I really want for one of my mains is stuck on some Lv. 50 Scoundrel on Corellia.

:rolleyes:

Gasp! You mean someone took that name first and then used it on their character for only 50 levels?? Well that's hardly any time at all. I bet they wouldn't even miss it.

Yeah, I lost my name during transfers (back in the day). Sadly, it is a name I try to use everywhere (Aries). Yes, I agree it is not really imaginative, but it is a nickname I have been using for at least a decade now (or variation of it, like adding _cz or CZ behind it, which looks stupid on character name), so I am quite attached to it (plus, changing a nickname after all that time has proven almost impossible)

Sadly, the player who has taken the name (some imp guy, according to friend list) has not been online since then or he is just ignoring my attempts as communications, offering gifts of credits and stuff...

I had to solve my problem by adding apostrophe after first letter. Not an ideal solution, but a solution nonetheless

All MMO's abide by the first-come, first-served rule. I've never anywhere seen GM take a name from someone just because the char was never played. He was the first person to use that name on this server.

Noone cares if it's your personal nickname for the last 50 years, you have no claim to it unless you were the first to use it, sorry.

Just accept it and move on.

You can allways use a hyphen or an apostrophe in the name instead.

Lets turn this around... say you had stared with another character, but took this name because you really wanted it for your next character. You made a lvl 1 character and left him on hutta until you could finish your other main...

Now someone else shows up and wants that name. Yaps to a GM about it and your characters name is removed...

Would that feel fair to you?

All MMO's abide by the first-come, first-served rule. I've never anywhere seen GM take a name from someone just because the char was never played. He was the first person to use that name on this server.

Noone cares if it's your personal nickname for the last 50 years, you have no claim to it unless you were the first to use it, sorry.

Just accept it and move on.

You can allways use a hyphen or an apostrophe in the name instead.

All MMO's?

Neverwinter, Champions Online, Star Trek Online (Same developer I know but still), Guild Wars 2, probably others that I haven't played. So no not ALL MMO's adopt this method of naming convention. The fact that they forced us to use our Display Name instead of emails hopefully means they are working on @handles, or some other form to allow players to have duplicate names on the server.

Is there a reverse process or check process? What's the point of a my free name change. If the name I want is already taken. Also if I use my name change does the CC/credit what ever get used after it's confirmed? I would hate to use a free name change, or worse still pay for one with CC, to only find that the name I wanted is gone and I just wasted my CC.

Lets turn this around... say you had stared with another character, but took this name because you really wanted it for your next character. You made a lvl 1 character and left him on hutta until you could finish your other main...

Now someone else shows up and wants that name. Yaps to a GM about it and your characters name is removed...

Would that feel fair to you?

@handles and this whole name problem becomes a non-issue. Shouldn't launch a MMO without them in my opinion. Love being able to ignore entire accounts as well, priceless.

Edited by Tronc

The one thing the boggles my mind on matters like this is how on earth not 1 MMO out there (that i have played atleast) has implemented something that allows multiple characters to have the same name on the same server. Thats an epic failure imho.

The one thing the boggles my mind on matters like this is how on earth not 1 MMO out there (that i have played atleast) has implemented something that allows multiple characters to have the same name on the same server. Thats an epic failure imho.

Probably cause players tend to identify themselves with their toon names and the name is the main criteria on which to remember other players.

Whispering, trading, invites of all kind... are all done by that unique name criteria and you want to just throw it away and get some handle instead... which once more does need to be unique.

TSW did that to ome extend... you had a handle (pretty much our char name) but you could also choose a First and Last name. Your name was then displayed over your head as [First "Charname" Last]... however for all interaktion, only the Charname is needed in TSW... only it is displayed when talking in chat.

There simply needs to be a unique identification... and MMOs have chosen for it to be the character name.

Why do some people think they have a right to a certain name? I am sorry you had to change it when you moved server but someone already has that name. Why are you more entitled to have it than them?

Also, if it's a name from tv/film/book/game then the chances are someone else is as 'original' as you and chosen it already.

Is your lack of imagination so bad that you cannot think of another cool name to choose?

Gasp! You mean someone took that name first and then used it on their character for only 50 levels?? Well that's hardly any time at all. I bet they wouldn't even miss it.

Gasp!

They're most likely not playing anymore! Remember that like over 70% of the players left around a month or two after the game's launch! ;)

But really, they would most likely not miss the name because there's a 99% chance they quit the game.

Edited by MrJurgens

Gasp!

They're most likely not playing anymore! Remember that like over 70% of the players left around a month or two after the game's launch! ;)

But really, they would most likely not miss the name because there's a 99% chance they quit the game.

Why do you think they most likely not playing anymore? My Agent was level 50 before Makeb and is still level 50. I guess that signifies I don't play anymore?

I never understood all the crying about "I can't get my name, I'm gonna quit". I lost my main's name and a couple other names during server transfers. Was I upset? Yes. Did I quit? No. I picked different names and continued on. Get over it. Taking names from people (even if they no longer play) is not fair. Has any other MMO ever done that before?

Edited by Screaming_Ziva

Like other games, I will assume they don't delete inactive accounts. So once the name is taken its taken. What if they want to come back in year or 2 and play again? They would be livid if their name was gone or deleted. So suck it up and roleplay a new silly name. Or get creative with the spelling etc like I had to do. I lost most of my names i had that I liked but doesn't seem to bother me as much as the star war nerds.

My question, How do you know what character has the name. My understanding, the only way to do a search is a /who [name] and that only returns online players.

Simple fact is though. This is normal for an MMO. Character name has always been a problem. Some games have used the solution where the only unique game had to be your "last name" or similar and than you could make any first name you want.

This creates its own problems but this game was never designed that way.

Auto-pruning or whatever word you want to use to free up names is generally considered a bad idea. If I was to quit for a few months, than my name changed because someone else wanted it. If I came back there is a good chance I would leave again.