Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

KOTOR on Windows 8


ObsidianVashti's Avatar


ObsidianVashti
06.28.2013 , 10:27 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Colton_ View Post
It's KOTOR I, I haven't tried KOTOR II yet. And how would I change it to windowed?
How do you launch the game? Unfortunately I don't know the Steam version. In the CD version I have there's options on the launch pop up window before the game is launched. I believe you can still access those settings by going to the file directory under program files and accessing your Steam directory. Under the file for KOTOR. There should be a config .ini I believe. As soon as I'm able I'll see if I can pull it up on my own laptop to give more detailed directions.
Here is a link about it.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1275279

Colton_'s Avatar


Colton_
06.28.2013 , 12:11 PM | #12
I have a shortcut but I would pop in the disc and click PLAY. But it is not the Steam version. I have KOTOR Collection.
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan
Who I am is not important, my message is.

ObsidianVashti's Avatar


ObsidianVashti
06.28.2013 , 07:28 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Colton_ View Post
I have a shortcut but I would pop in the disc and click PLAY. But it is not the Steam version. I have KOTOR Collection.
Ok, so in the window where you click play can you not click a button for options or settings anywhere? Otherwise follow my previous link on how to force some settings which should possibly solve your problem. Since it is not Steam merely go to your directory location for KOTOR, most likely LucasArts folder instead of Steam.

Colton_'s Avatar


Colton_
06.28.2013 , 08:42 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by ObsidianVashti View Post
Ok, so in the window where you click play can you not click a button for options or settings anywhere? Otherwise follow my previous link on how to force some settings which should possibly solve your problem. Since it is not Steam merely go to your directory location for KOTOR, most likely LucasArts folder instead of Steam.
I don't believe so there is play, uninstall, website, read me, and exit. But the thread was of no help, as it helped with the Steam version with different files than the one I have.
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan
Who I am is not important, my message is.

Colton_'s Avatar


Colton_
06.29.2013 , 02:25 PM | #15
None of that worked.
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan
Who I am is not important, my message is.

Colton_'s Avatar


Colton_
06.29.2013 , 05:13 PM | #16
Edit:
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan
Who I am is not important, my message is.

ObsidianVashti's Avatar


ObsidianVashti
07.01.2013 , 11:13 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Colton_ View Post
None of that worked.
Ok so from what I gather you have found your main file directory location? (If not navigate to the below directory using My Computer)

Open the folder 'C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\'

Check out this video link on YouTube, it has directions for how to install it on Windows 7, but the steps are no different. The only difference is, I do not believe you need to download and replace the .dll file they mention in movie, and additionally since they appear to be running a different version of the game, the options screen that he shows by clicking settings in the launcher is available to you under the LucasArts file directory and double-clicking the file "swconfig". As they do, I recommend also un-installing and then re-installing the game from scratch just to make sure we follow all the steps right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMh1A1s9vbk

Hopefully after all this it will just work for you. Many claim that both KOTOR games will simply not work for Windows 8, however that is not true. Depending on your setup it just requires quite a few work arounds. It's been a while since I've had to install either game on my system, as they are already working for me. So if you're patient I'm sure we can eventually help you to get this working! Best of luck!

Colton_'s Avatar


Colton_
07.06.2013 , 04:37 PM | #18
Sorry I responded late, been on vacation for a bit. I'll look at that video now.
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan
Who I am is not important, my message is.

Colton_'s Avatar


Colton_
07.07.2013 , 04:09 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ObsidianVashti View Post
Ok so from what I gather you have found your main file directory location? (If not navigate to the below directory using My Computer)

Open the folder 'C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotOR\'

Check out this video link on YouTube, it has directions for how to install it on Windows 7, but the steps are no different. The only difference is, I do not believe you need to download and replace the .dll file they mention in movie, and additionally since they appear to be running a different version of the game, the options screen that he shows by clicking settings in the launcher is available to you under the LucasArts file directory and double-clicking the file "swconfig". As they do, I recommend also un-installing and then re-installing the game from scratch just to make sure we follow all the steps right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMh1A1s9vbk

Hopefully after all this it will just work for you. Many claim that both KOTOR games will simply not work for Windows 8, however that is not true. Depending on your setup it just requires quite a few work arounds. It's been a while since I've had to install either game on my system, as they are already working for me. So if you're patient I'm sure we can eventually help you to get this working! Best of luck!
It did not work. I got to the step where he said to click Compatibility, and there was no Compatibility tab.
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan
Who I am is not important, my message is.

ObsidianVashti's Avatar


ObsidianVashti
07.10.2013 , 04:09 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Colton_ View Post
It did not work. I got to the step where he said to click Compatibility, and there was no Compatibility tab.
Try going to the LucasArts folder directory and locate the game execution file. (Most likely titled kotor.exe) Right click that icon and select "Properties". Is there a Compatibility Tab in this instance? If so set the proper settings as previously mentioned in the YouTube video and use this icon to launch the game.