Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

KOTOR on Windows 8

Colton_
06.26.2013 , 01:07 PM | #1
I recently bought a new Windows 8 computer and bought KOTOR Collection with KOTOR and KOTOR II. I was very excited to play it, and when I clicked "PLAY" after installing it started up fine. About 10 seconds into it I get a "KOTOR has stopped working. Windows is checking for a solution", and(of course) it closes the program unable to find a solution. I searched about it and found out about "Compatibility Mode" for Windows 8, to run programs on Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP instead of 8. I followed all of the instructions but when it says there is to be a "Compatible" tab after selecting "Properties" when right-clicking the setup, I see just a "security" tab. Is there any other way I can enjoy this awesome game on my new computer?
Quote: Originally Posted by Revan
Who I am is not important, my message is.

Colton_
06.26.2013 , 03:50 PM | #2

ObsidianVashti
06.26.2013 , 05:10 PM | #3
Well your problem isn't specific to Windows 8, as I have both KOTOR games and they run fine for me without any Compatibility Setting changes. Which game is it that your are having issues starting up? KOTOR I or II? The second has many more issues than the first due to LucasArts rushing the game development. So first thing before you start each game make sure you have all the proper patches downloaded. Second if the Compatibility Tab is not appearing it's possible that you are not using an Administrator account. Make sure when you install the games that you do so on an Administrator's account. Any more details you could provide on your system setup would be helpful. Such as your RAM, graphics card, etc....

AlexDougherty
06.27.2013 , 02:55 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ObsidianVashti View Post
Well your problem isn't specific to Windows 8, as I have both KOTOR games and they run fine for me without any Compatibility Setting changes. Which game is it that your are having issues starting up? KOTOR I or II? The second has many more issues than the first due to LucasArts rushing the game development. So first thing before you start each game make sure you have all the proper patches downloaded. Second if the Compatibility Tab is not appearing it's possible that you are not using an Administrator account. Make sure when you install the games that you do so on an Administrator's account. Any more details you could provide on your system setup would be helpful. Such as your RAM, graphics card, etc....
It kind of is specific to Windows 8, the Steam version of Kotor and Kotor2 supports Windows 7 and Vista, it might not be universal with Windows 8 but thats slightly different.

Also there are several other threads on other forums (Community and General Discussion) with other people having the same problem.
Peace can be found, above all passions. Through passion, I may gain strength.
Through strength, I may gain power. Through power, I may gain victory.
But for every enemy fallen, a new foe rises.
For every chain broken, new chains bind me. Only the Force can set me free.

ObsidianVashti
06.27.2013 , 09:20 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
It kind of is specific to Windows 8, the Steam version of Kotor and Kotor2 supports Windows 7 and Vista, it might not be universal with Windows 8 but thats slightly different.

Also there are several other threads on other forums (Community and General Discussion) with other people having the same problem.
Perhaps I'll explore more, see if there are particular issues with Windows 8, but I've have a few friends who also have the Steam version with the KOTOR pack and they have no issues with Windows 8, so overall I wasn't aware of any major problem. If anything the KOTOR games for my friends have been even more stable on Windows 8. So I don't believe it is anything specifically with WIndows 8 alone, as it "can" work on WIndows 8. So I think it is one's particular setup and hardware related configuration that might be causing the problems. However neither KOTOR was designed even for Windows 7 (not sure if they even changed anything with the Steam versions), and especially the second game can have quite a few issues for many on Windows 7.

Colton_
06.27.2013 , 11:21 AM | #6
Well I'm pretty sure it's a Windows 8 issue, as KOTOR and KOTOR II both worked excellent on my old Windows 7 computer. Also, KOTOR was designed for Windows 7, the box says for XP, Vista, and 7.

Colton_
06.27.2013 , 11:39 AM | #7
NEW UPDATE: After all of the cinematics before the actually game but after the character creation, the screen goes black and says that Windows stuff and closes it. BUT, a new tab was there when it closed labeled "CyberLink Power2Go" and said "CyberLink Power2Go does not support the current screen resolution and DPI setting.

Colton_
06.27.2013 , 03:26 PM | #8
Has anyone else had this issue or one similar to this?

ObsidianVashti
06.27.2013 , 03:49 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Colton_ View Post
NEW UPDATE: After all of the cinematics before the actually game but after the character creation, the screen goes black and says that Windows stuff and closes it. BUT, a new tab was there when it closed labeled "CyberLink Power2Go" and said "CyberLink Power2Go does not support the current screen resolution and DPI setting.
I recommend trying to see if you can try starting the game in windowed mode instead of full screen. In general this can solve many stability/resolution issues. Also try and adjust the settings for resolution and such at the kotor launch pane before the game launches. Also is this KOTOR 1 or 2 as there are some different steps to try depending on which game it is.

Colton_
06.27.2013 , 09:34 PM | #10
It's KOTOR I, I haven't tried KOTOR II yet. And how would I change it to windowed?