Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Character Transfer - Pointless

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Character Transfer - Pointless

MorbidSouls's Avatar


MorbidSouls
06.25.2013 , 08:37 PM | #1
I was one of those unfortunate people as someone from Europe to start on a US server due to my Guild made up of EU and US players started on a US server in open beta. Allot of people left soon after and some time after that our server Kinrath Spider became dead which prompted me starting life brand new in a EU server with the hope of someday transferring my character over.

Wasn't unable to make use of free character transfer or anything and now paid transfers are available i thought superb, finally.

BUT, it appears you cannot transfer a US character onto a EU server, which is ridiculous.

I keep telling you bioware i want to give you money so i can transfer my character over to my home but your not letting me.

You overestimated by placing too many servers in the first place, many ppl left due to the buggy disgraceful state of the game in open beta and launch and we your loyal supporters have had to suffer with those consequences.

Just let us pay you and let us transfer from a US to EU server, seriously what is the problem.

Igax's Avatar


Igax
06.25.2013 , 08:40 PM | #2
In the area of server transfers Bioware has done nothing but drop the ball for sure. Hopefully they will add in the US to EU and vice versa soon and not another year from now. I feel you pain!
Quote: Originally Posted by PhoenixStar
Yeah my eyes bugged out when I saw how many servers there are. Hopefully the population doesn't get spread too thin.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
06.25.2013 , 08:44 PM | #3
It makes complete sense that they do not yet have this feature.

Why?

Because they are on different server farms on different sides of the world.

They had to jury-rig the APAC players to go either direction. And jury-rig =/= production released paid character transfer.

I support them adding EU <---> NA transfer capability by the way.. and I am sure they will have it some day.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

MorbidSouls's Avatar


MorbidSouls
06.25.2013 , 08:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
It makes complete sense that they do not yet have this feature.

Why?

Because they are on different server farms on different sides of the world.

They had to jury-rig the APAC players to go either direction. And jury-rig =/= production released paid character transfer.

I support them adding EU <---> NA transfer capability by the way.. and I am sure they will have it some day.
I have no idea what your point is trying to convey but i'm glad you agree in the end it should be enabled.

Fact is SWTOR has supported people from different regions to play on different servers, the gaming community is not divided generally by EU or US only guilds, they can be varied and vast.

There is no logical or reasonable reason why the US to EU character transfer should not be enabled.

ChuangTzu's Avatar


ChuangTzu
06.25.2013 , 08:58 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
It makes complete sense that they do not yet have this feature.

Why?

Because they are on different server farms on different sides of the world.

They had to jury-rig the APAC players to go either direction. And jury-rig =/= production released paid character transfer.

I support them adding EU <---> NA transfer capability by the way.. and I am sure they will have it some day.
That's BS, the tech is there as they allowed APAC to US and EU. So they can do it. I know you have to defend BW at any costs but this is over the top.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
06.25.2013 , 09:04 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
That's BS, the tech is there as they allowed APAC to US and EU.
They hardwired the three APACS to EU and NA. Derp! Simple hardwired one way moves.

To enable bilateral on demand moves from any EU to any NA server or vice versa clearly would require additional work on their part to achieve. The servers are in independent server farms, with separate logistics, etc. etc. Anyone that thinks that's a one hour remap of what they jury rigged for the APAC retirement moves is delusional IMO.

Given how buggy server transfers were early on just between NA servers and the PTS.... it's clearly more difficult then feeding your pet gerbil.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
06.25.2013 , 09:11 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MorbidSouls View Post
I have no idea what your point is trying to convey
That it is non-trivial to create an automated on demand database transfer service between two different server farms on opposite sides of the world. That it takes effort and care to set it up so that it works without human intervention. That I believe it is popular enough that they will get around to extending server transfers between EU/NA but it will take additional effort.

On the surface, it could seem trivial to the casual user... but keep in mind that these two sever farms have absolutely no reason to be interconnected together to transfer data between them (in either direction, on demand, and automatically). So you have to create the capability.

Now, one could argue that they were foolish not to plan this as part of their paid character transfer project that has been in development since at least last summer... but you know what... at that time they may not have figured it was a service that was popular enough to be worth the effort at that time. But if they have proven one thing to players over time.. they do listen to requests and do get around to implementing them if they make business sense and are technically feasible. They just don't do it on the players timetable.. they do it on their timetable.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

ChuangTzu's Avatar


ChuangTzu
06.25.2013 , 09:13 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
They hardwired the three APACS to EU and NA. Derp! Simple hardwired one way moves.

To enable bilateral on demand moves from any EU to any NA server or vice versa clearly would require additional work on their part to achieve. The servers are in independent server farms, with separate logistics, etc. etc. Anyone that thinks that's a one hour remap of what they jury rigged for the APAC retirement moves is delusional IMO.

Given how buggy server transfers were early on just between NA servers and the PTS.... it's clearly more difficult then feeding your pet gerbil.
So the tech exists! And I'm glad you mentioned the PTS cos I could copy from APAC servers to PTS 'on demand'. So it can be done. Ur point is just that you love BW and they can do no wrong.
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

ClamTheDuckDown's Avatar


ClamTheDuckDown
06.25.2013 , 09:14 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
They hardwired the three APACS to EU and NA. Derp! Simple hardwired one way moves.

To enable bilateral on demand moves from any EU to any NA server or vice versa clearly would require additional work on their part to achieve. The servers are in independent server farms, with separate logistics, etc. etc. Anyone that thinks that's a one hour remap of what they jury rigged for the APAC retirement moves is delusional IMO.

Given how buggy server transfers were early on just between NA servers and the PTS.... it's clearly more difficult then feeding your pet gerbil.
Andryah, I'm starting think that you're an EA employee. a quick glimpse at your post history tells me that you're on the forum all day everyday jumping on every thread complaining about the game to defend Bioware.

Anyway, I agree with the post above. If they could do it with APACS, there's no technical reason to put that restriction on EU-NA transfer. There must be another reason that they're not telling us.

Andryah's Avatar


Andryah
06.25.2013 , 09:18 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
So the tech exists! And I'm glad you mentioned the PTS cos I could copy from APAC servers to PTS 'on demand'. So it can be done. Ur point is just that you love BW and they can do no wrong.


Just because you do something with a one-off one way path =/= ability to do it bidirectionally on demand from any server to any server in the world.

So.. to use your own term "tech" NO.. the tech to do it any server to any server, on demand, automatically, does not exist. As of today, it now exists within the NA farm server to server, and within the EU farm server to server. It clearly does NOT EXIST server to sever between the NA and EU server farms YET.

And please, stop with the ad hominem character assassination attempts.

Quote: Originally Posted by ClamTheDuckDown View Post
If they could do it with APACS, there's no technical reason to put that restriction on EU-NA transfer. There must be another reason that they're not telling us.
Interestingly enough... a year ago they could transfer characters from NA to APAC.... but could not do it the other direction and could not provide on demand paid character transfers either. Why? Because the ability to do a one off of something =/= the ability to do it with an automated service.

Why is this such a hard concept for some of you to grasp?
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.