Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Agent story. Angry and speechless.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Agent story. Angry and speechless.

Mirandel
06.25.2013 , 11:37 AM | #1
Here is the topic about writers of the class stories: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=653895

Have to repeat after Jenzali - "the gap in quality is very noticeable between the Agent storyline and all the others"

I would even say "noticeable" is an understatement.

My first character was JC. Many say the story is boring - I did not think so before and do not think now. For me it's more like even, calm, steady and somewhat relaxing. No horrible dramas over nothing, no traitors at every corner - if your mind is already agitated enough you will enjoy the feeling of the story. You go from planet to planet, do your job and do not have to turn from a clear way.
Than I played other classes... And suddenly realized, on Imp side you are not just go "from planet to planet" but rather have an extra quests in between planets to the extreme (as I thought) at SW story. I declared Sith Warrior "favorite class of developers" and forgot about it. Until I played Imperial Agent.

Man, it is something! Not only you get 2-3 extra quests between each planet, not only you have some crossovers with all (or almost all) other stories in the game, not only one part of the plot is a solid reminder (or even based on) of KOTOR2 (which I love more then KOTOR1). But it's full of believable conflicts, tons of NPC you have to interact to and work in one group with (not just one villain and a hoard of silent mobs) and your choices are meaningful! On top of it you get real 3 (three, actually 6 with variations) very different endings! Not one just rephrased 3 times. Oh, and Scorpio alone would be enough to win the competition of "best crew" in the game.

I don't know, may be the author of the story - Alexander Freed - is just that great. But the story is very, very different and stands out among all of them. I would say more resources was spend on it as well. Probably developers could see the beauty of it or Freed is also a good seller of his ideas. Anyway - it's amazing. And though I feel sorry for my beloved Consular and angry for such inequality in class treatment - I applaud to the great work.

As AF said himself:
Quote:
(...) In any event, I wanted the agent for myself largely because of that lack of an obvious Star Wars predecessor archetype. It meant the class would appeal to fewer players, perhaps–but it also meant I had a freer hand in developing what the class meant. (...)
And he did it.

GalnarDegana
06.25.2013 , 09:14 PM | #2
Having played all of the classes, I can say with certainty that the agent is the only story I would play more than twice. How do I know this? I am starting my third, with two already at 51/55.

The variations are really amazing. I think there are four ways chapter 1 can end.

Chapter 1
Spoiler

Chapter 2
Spoiler

Chapter 3
Spoiler

10/10 for the Agent story, all the way through.

swtonewbie
06.26.2013 , 04:36 AM | #3
So far i've completed Agent, BH and SW. I completely agree (as will many) that IA story was done really well. The only complaint i have really is Kaliyo. I just dont see her as the kind of person i would want working for Imp Intel, even if they had info/leverage on her. I would have been happy with a crew of watchers, fixers and one psycho robot. Immediately after finishing my IA i actually started another one with the full intention of going completely light side and seeing how the other part of the story goes.

SW it was ok, except for the Quinn twist right before Corellia...i thought that was terrible. BH was ok, but i dont like how i went from a nobody to the best bounty hunter in the universe. That's something BW does a lot with the storylines. They elevate you to such high status and this was before ROTHC had come out. I hate it when games SP or MP have you reaching such high status. At the end of the game you are a general, vice admiral, or grandmaster of the universe. But the IA story doesnt really do that...and thats one of the things i like. I would rather be the same Jedi Knight, Lord Sith, average quality bounty hunter, instead of what they are having us become.
I'm not really a noob...

Bleeters
06.26.2013 , 04:55 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by GalnarDegana View Post
Chapter 3
Spoiler
Spoiler

ArchArcher
06.26.2013 , 06:49 PM | #5
I've played all the class stories, except the sith inquisitor (about to go to Hoth now). But yes most defenetley Imperial Agent story is top 1 for me.

Rykko
06.27.2013 , 06:41 AM | #6
Just to provide a little balance I'm going to say that by no stretch of the imagination was agent my favourite story.

Yes it has some nice touches but once was through more than enough for my tastes and it was filled with missed opportunites for something far more interesting.

The Consular story is not popular because most people judge by chapter 1 alone and self-sacrifice is not a theme most people can relate to.
Believing I am "skilled" at video games is central to my confidence and self esteem.

Dallayna
06.27.2013 , 10:25 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Rykko View Post
Just to provide a little balance I'm going to say that by no stretch of the imagination was agent my favourite story.

Yes it has some nice touches but once was through more than enough for my tastes and it was filled with missed opportunites for something far more interesting.

The Consular story is not popular because most people judge by chapter 1 alone and self-sacrifice is not a theme most people can relate to.
Actually, while I loved the IA storyline, I tend to agree with you on the JC one. I mean, I loved the later parts of it. Super slow to actually start but I still think the "murder mystery" was a bit of an interesting mix. I mean, if I had been asked prior to playing I would have pegged the Smuggy as getting that type of plot most likely with some Marlow-esque overtones- so, to me handing it over to the Consular doesn't seem a very intuitive choice but it does work. I also can't believe that Theran "Everyone-Has-Fun-On-Holiday" Cedrax of all people turned out to actually have one or two teeny tiny little drops of non-scuzzbag in him- whoddathunk?

hunterraaze
06.27.2013 , 12:57 PM | #8
I could be a one in a million here, but I didn't really care for the story. By no means was it bad, just not as good as everyone seems to make it out to be. The fault is probably on me though, my character was really boring. Chapter one was good, had a really good ending. Chapter 2, that was bad. I couldn't force myself to suffer through that, and ended up taking a year break from her because of how bad the story was at that point. Chapter 3 was a turnaround, and the ending was okay. But personally, out of the three stories I have finished, this is my least favorite.
"Well, if people would make it more about me, I wouldn't have to"
~Iryllia

chuixupu
06.27.2013 , 12:58 PM | #9
I'm a huge fan of the agent story (I've probably said that 1000 times on this forum and also the fact that I've leveled 3 of them :P). I'd probably just play "Star Wars: The Imperial Agent".

I think Consular gets a bad rap, still. I played Consular after having played a few other classes, and I actually liked it a lot. First chapter is the least interesting, but it all really comes together in the last chapter with some really amazing emotional moments.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Knight_Marshal
06.27.2013 , 05:04 PM | #10
I loved the consular story. Yes the first part was a little slow, but being a Jedi isn't all about fight evil. Sometimes it is about helping others.

One thing did annoy me though.

Spoiler