Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dread Guard nerf - Catering to the Casual

Spyderwraith
07.02.2013 , 05:56 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Airwolfe View Post
'The enrage timer for The Dread Guard has been increased by 30 seconds in Hard and Nightmare Modes.'

snip

This speaks poorly to Bioware's intent to provide challenging content, in my opinion.
Will future content be continually nerfed to the point of Nightmare mode being 'everyone and their mother can clear it in a day-mode'?
Where are these notes you're quoting here? I am unable to find any patch notes saying this is happening?

Spyderwraith
07.02.2013 , 06:08 PM | #52
And at the risk of being trolled, EAware is running a business. the 60 people that currently have the elite ability to beat it as it stands now are not going to be the ones that give them the most money. If 5% of people that are elite enough have the ability to beat it and 95% don't EAware is gonna make it so that more people beat it and continue playing and thusly giving them more money.

shyroman
07.03.2013 , 08:57 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by Powerrmongerr View Post
Stick a lever near the Dread Guard encounter. Pull the lever, enrage timer drops by 30 seconds. You get a title just for beating them. Remove lever if/when level cap increases.

On top of that idea, what if they did that, but for every boss. And it stacked, so if you pulled it twice, it would double the amount being lowered. With a reset button next to it if it proved too difficult (ex. Pulling it 5 times on NiM DG). That way, a guild can make everything "nightmare worthy"

Omophorus
07.03.2013 , 01:51 PM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by mastirkal View Post
Something wrong with wanting hard content, but not insane enrage?
Enrage is a BS mechanic to start with.

Any fight where the enrage timer is the deciding factor isn't really worthy of the title "Nightmare".

If they want to keep time a component, add more complex mechanics based on the fight timer so that a sufficiently insane guild can still win, but make them so unforgiving that 99.9% of attempts fail if you're too slow.

Not that it matters, since BioWare is committed to lazy game design, but there's so much they could be doing besides just adding the "you lose" button.
Srs'bsns, Conquerer of the Dread Fortress
"This is why we don't bring Assassin tanks"
<Proper Villains> of The Ebon Hawk

ancksunamur
07.03.2013 , 02:24 PM | #55
It's not really a ******** mechanic, i mean it's there fro dps accountability. I mean as important as it is to move, interrupt, change targets, kite, and whatever else that needs to get done during a fight an enrage timer prevents teams from just taking their time through the whole place. You should need to do all that while peaking your dps, which is really what this encounter does, not as much as it did, but they are needed to a point. And serious what mmo now a days really puts out a compelling fight? Not to mention all they want to do is make money. Please let's not pretend the devs really care about competition I mean you can tell by the lack of tracking the do
HMFiC of SuckaFish - Empire (The Bastion)

http://SuckaFish.enjin.com
50 Powertech: Donn

vVvCheese
07.03.2013 , 07:43 PM | #56
The enrage timer change simply gives you 30 more seconds to kill Kel'sara, since 3 lightning phases on heirad is a wipe anyway, so that DPS check is unchanged. You still need DPS pulling 2800+ (8 man) to down Heirad before he wipes the raid. Taking any longer on Ciphas than before means more puddles to deal with, which is a soft enrage mechanic in itself. Kel'sara was enraging before most guilds could even work her mechanics. It was 100% possible to do before the nerf (as shown), but the enrage change is not going to let many more guilds clear it than would've before the change anyway, you still need 2800+ DPS, you just don't need 3000. It's a minor tweak, and though I think it should've been left as is, it's honestly not making any casuals able to clear it.
Tenebras
Pre 2.0 Warstalker, Pre 2.4 Dragonslayer/From Beyond
Conqueror of the Dread Fortress, Pre 2.8 Gate Crasher
Death and Taxes - Prophecy of the Five

Aerro
07.03.2013 , 08:15 PM | #57
Cheese, I think the argument in general is that this is just further proof that they cater to the minority who complain. So if content is difficult in the future, we can expect Bioware to nerf it after 1 or 2 guilds complain about it? I don't like the idea of that. It shows Bioware has no resolve in standing firm and telling the guilds to deal with it or get better.
Arsenal DPS Guide
One of the leading Mercenaries in a World Progression Guild.

odawgg
07.03.2013 , 08:49 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by vVvCheese View Post
The enrage timer change simply gives you 30 more seconds to kill Kel'sara, since 3 lightning phases on heirad is a wipe anyway, so that DPS check is unchanged. You still need DPS pulling 2800+ (8 man) to down Heirad before he wipes the raid. Taking any longer on Ciphas than before means more puddles to deal with, which is a soft enrage mechanic in itself. Kel'sara was enraging before most guilds could even work her mechanics. It was 100% possible to do before the nerf (as shown), but the enrage change is not going to let many more guilds clear it than would've before the change anyway, you still need 2800+ DPS, you just don't need 3000. It's a minor tweak, and though I think it should've been left as is, it's honestly not making any casuals able to clear it.
Not entirely true, before the nerf you had to beat the 3rd surging chain, now you only have to beat the 3rd lightning storm, so the 1st phase is more lenient opening the door to many more guilds, however the 'casual' raiding guilds will probably not be able to clear it still which is the way it should be....I think it's now perfectly tuned for a 2nd boss but the last couple bosses should be harder IMO.

Amantino
07.03.2013 , 10:03 PM | #59
I think the nerf was a good decision by bioware.

Impossible? No. But the fight was overtuned compared to the rest of the instance. As far as I know, nobody beat the enrage timer pre-nerf.

The fight is still very hard. The hardest in TFB NM. Just that it's not the crazy enrage timer that's the hard part anymore. It's not like casual guilds suddenly will clear this now.
Jennifér - Marauder
<Reckoning>

The Red Eclipse

Ansalem
07.03.2013 , 10:20 PM | #60
I havent noticed many guilds posting progression in the progression thread on it either. I know some just dont care at this point but it still seems like the fight is challenging enough for many guilds out there.
The enrage timer was a good fix by bioware. Guilds still have to overcome the mechanics while keeping high dps to clear this. Now if only they would buff operator phase 2 and kephess.