Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Dread Guard nerf - Catering to the Casual

Airwolfe
06.24.2013 , 10:47 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by namesaretough View Post
It's likely the devs saw the number of people attempting it, and decided that they wanted more people to be able to clear it than the percent that are currently able. I want all the fights to be super difficult as much as the next guy, but 8man was clearly tuned much harder than the rest of the instance, implying they intended it to be easier than it was.
I think the answer there is to tune the other bosses to a similar challenge level rather than nerf to get things lined up.
On wanting more people to be able to clear content - story mode was made for those who just want to see the content and mechanics and don't really want the maximum challenge. Hard mode is for those who like a challenge, at least on release. And Nightmare is for a select audience, those who want a true, nearly impossible challenge.

I'm of the understanding that a large amount of the former SWTOR player base left due to the lack of challenging raid content so I think nerfing is also a negative business decision.
Airwolfe - Marauder <Chosen>

AshlaBoga
06.24.2013 , 11:23 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Airwolfe View Post
I think the answer there is to tune the other bosses to a similar challenge level rather than nerf to get things lined up.
On wanting more people to be able to clear content - story mode was made for those who just want to see the content and mechanics and don't really want the maximum challenge. Hard mode is for those who like a challenge, at least on release. And Nightmare is for a select audience, those who want a true, nearly impossible challenge.

I'm of the understanding that a large amount of the former SWTOR player base left due to the lack of challenging raid content so I think nerfing is also a negative business decision.
Thing is, it was either buff 4 bosses or nerf 1. And nerfing one is far less time consuming.
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption

namesaretough
06.24.2013 , 11:24 PM | #13

Like I said, I want all the bosses to be challenging, but given guilds were killing Operator/Kephess in less than 5 pulls when DG required 100+, the dev team probably wanted it to be at least a little easier than it was. I doubt the decision was based on threads on this forum.
Smugglin

Airwolfe
06.25.2013 , 12:15 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Thing is, it was either buff 4 bosses or nerf 1. And nerfing one is far less time consuming.
This is true..but any MMO team that wants their endeavour to survive, should be aware that raids are the heart of that survival - and more time devoted to them is better.
Airwolfe - Marauder <Chosen>

Sziroten
06.25.2013 , 12:29 AM | #15

Players did leave because the original raid content was in no way comparable of what you have today and not because a single mobs enrage timer was "nerfed" by 30 seconds.... . Any guild serious enough about what they are doing did attempt and kill the encounter/ cleared the operation. Nerfing an encounter is what happens in every MMO over time and if you wanted to face the "mathematical impossible" you have to try when it goes live for the first time.

At least we now know that the mathematic impossible can be beaten... thanks to that Bioware.
T3-M4 (former-Exar Kun)
Tark/Merk, Immacolata, Psychlon, Vorov, Zhadow, Kahum, Shee'la, Homeopathy
Bessel , Mercenary, Spetnaz, Shaa'li, Widir

Gyronamics
06.25.2013 , 01:41 AM | #16
Hardcore guilds got their challenge whether it was meant to be like that or not.

Some managed it beat it so there's a cookie for them to keep that no one else can have.

Same goes for the pre-nerf Tanks and Kephess EC NiM.
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

Mitthrawdo
06.25.2013 , 04:12 AM | #17
As a serious player who hasn't yet had the opportunity to enter NiM TFB, I must say that I'm pretty pissed although not surprised. There are already two versions of the raid for those not serious enough to do NiM; I'd go so far as to say that it's insulting to make NiM easier when multiple groups have shown that it is do-able if you're skilled enough.

Finnbor
06.25.2013 , 09:59 AM | #18
If you see the enrage you deserve the kill even if its 30s nerf the fight is Nightmare worthy.

Ocho-Quatro
06.25.2013 , 10:03 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by TrillOG- View Post
Edit: In hm too? Why....
I don't understand the HM nerf at all.... Dread Guard is, second to The Horror, the easiest encounter in HM TfB.
TOROCast - Star Wars: The Old Republic's Longest Running Fan Podcast
Apos'trophe Sage - Apostrophé Scoundrel - Period Vanguard - Parentheses Shadow - Quotation Sentinel
Aster'isk Mercenary - Back'slash Assassin - Per'iod Operative
The Punctuation Legacy

paowee
06.25.2013 , 11:09 AM | #20
So we have:

TFB-------?SNV?----------------(?)
June July August September October

Asking to make a fight easier is like smoking. You want it but in the end it's bad for you when you look at the bigger picture. Remember a nerf means content is now slightly easier. Which means you are going to blow through content that much faster. Which also increases the chances of you getting bored sooner once you've cleared "everything." Hopefully we can get content fast enough to keep up with the nerfing of fights that are supposed to keep us busy while we wait on the next PVE content. By "supposed to keep us busy" i mean, farming the instance for gear for a couple of weeks. NiM WH, HM DG, NiM Op9, NiM Keph, HM TFB(no bug). By doing this, any guild, can clear NiM TFB (assuming they don't die to mechanics). It just takes time.

Its not quantifiable but if you end up getting bored in several weeks remember the forums asked for nerfs to make that Operation easier. If they had kept NiM DG the same, that could have given you.. maybe 2-3 more weeks of farming before ultimately getting burned out of the instsance

which we have been raiding since September 26, 2012. It's now July 26, 2013...
Republic < Intrepid > The Harbinger slinger sage vanguard dps
swtorboard.org dps blog.class guides.end-game stuff
16 man | 8 man DPS leaderboards | Galactic Starfighter Records