Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Empire Ship Architecture

Highborne
06.30.2013 , 04:07 AM | #11
To me, the difference in Imperial vs. Republic starship design was a matter of philosophy.

The Empire seeks to hit hard and hit fast. From that perspective, the Harrower-class design makes the most sense: placing all the turrets facing forward means that you can unload a tremendous amount of firepower....against anything ahead of you.

The Republic seeks to be something to everyone. From that perspective - as well as the perennially-underfunded Republic military - it makes sense to build your capital starships versatile, able to perform equally well in all tactical situations. Hence the Valor-class cruiser, which spreads its ship-to-ship weaponry around so as to be able to hit any angle with reasonable force.

Basically, the Harrower is a warship, the Valor is a peacekeeper's ship. As for how this ties in to Imperial starship design, remember that the Galactic Empire (Palpatine's Empire) was created in the ashes of a war. Starship design will reflect utility over elegance, and combat over multi-purposing.

I would argue that the continuity in sharship design - in-universe, at least - was a product of the similarity in mindset between the top Galactic Empire designers and the Sith Empire designers, rather than Palpatine's explicitly turning around to crib the notes from the old Sith Empire. After all, he wasn't involved in designing the Victory-class destroyers, and they too share that shape and overall architecture.

Out of universe: yeah, they wanted to mark the "evil" side as having the Ominous Ships Of Doom.

Julius_Caesar
07.07.2013 , 06:17 PM | #12
The ships used by the Republic were probably Mandalorian. Remeber, the Republic didn't actually have a military before Military Creation Act (in episode II). The Clone Army came from Kamino, and they were based on Mandalorians, you see the Clones boarding the triangular ships in Attack of the Clones, so I would assume the ships came with the Clones. The Mandalorians probably got their ship design from the Empire.
Fear me, for am the death of the Republic. For 2,000 years I have waited, now I have returned.
Julius Caesar

SwoopingLion
07.07.2013 , 06:27 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Julius_Caesar View Post
The ships used by the Republic were probably Mandalorian. Remeber, the Republic didn't actually have a military before Military Creation Act (in episode II). The Clone Army came from Kamino, and they were based on Mandalorians, you see the Clones boarding the triangular ships in Attack of the Clones, so I would assume the ships came with the Clones. The Mandalorians probably got their ship design from the Empire.
I always thought Mandalorian ships were more chunky than sleek and dagger like, but I just had a quick look and...

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Manda...nator-style%29

Looks like you might be right!

Except from an OoU perspective where I'd hazard a guess that in typical SW fashion this has been retconned as a nice tie-in.
An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age.