Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Does Race really matter?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Does Race really matter?

joenewbie
06.22.2013 , 06:03 PM | #1
I'm just returning to the game and I really don't understand the game mechanics involved in racial choice. Is it all cosmetic like female vs male?
Roll your alts first, make the mistakes that teach you lessons, then roll your main and enjoy the ride.

Brittaany_Banks
06.22.2013 , 06:06 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by joenewbie View Post
I'm just returning to the game and I really don't understand the game mechanics involved in racial choice. Is it all cosmetic like female vs male?
There are no positive, or negative consequences for choosing any particular swtor race.

joenewbie
06.22.2013 , 06:07 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
There are no positive, or negative consequences for choosing any particular swtor race.
Thank you for the quick response. Happy hunting.
Roll your alts first, make the mistakes that teach you lessons, then roll your main and enjoy the ride.

Sarielle
06.22.2013 , 06:24 PM | #4
You do get slightly different dialogue options based on race, though.
Sarie : Self-righteous Seer
| Jung Ma |

Altheran
06.22.2013 , 06:37 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Sarielle View Post
You do get slightly different dialogue options based on race, though.
Yes, and it has to be noted that in addition to be rare, it doesn't change nor the outcome nor rewards of the dialogs.
That's just for flavoring them.

Skodan
06.22.2013 , 07:04 PM | #6
Only differences in dialogue ive noticed:

Sith Pureblood vs human vs others: you will sometimes get a response about your sith pureblood blood or how there are alien scum (if you are human), or another alien may suggest something about humans (if you are alien)

Race has no affect on gameplay.

while you didnt ask for it gender will get different romance arcs with your companions, which while it wont affect the storyline as a whole, you could have minor differences between genders
The Goa'uld Legacy Level 50 on Jedi Covenant (previously Canderous Ordo)
Imperial Entanglements
Less Imperial Entanglements
Check out LIE and IE: Galaxy Wide Casual Social Guilds

joenewbie
06.22.2013 , 07:37 PM | #7
I thought this was the case but I was really hoping it wasn't. I'd like to see some racial/species bonuses for certain classes or even negatives. The closest thing to that is the bonuses you get on companions with crafting skills. Just a thought anyway.

Skodan
06.22.2013 , 07:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by joenewbie View Post
I thought this was the case but I was really hoping it wasn't. I'd like to see some racial/species bonuses for certain classes or even negatives. The closest thing to that is the bonuses you get on companions with crafting skills. Just a thought anyway.
Thats the thing though, when games put in racial bonuses that apply to classes even if its marginal to no real effect players become very aggressive to having a character/race in a group that wouldnt be the supreme choice, you have it in some games already with just being a different spec than the supposed "best" spec for a certain AC
Imperial Entanglements

ZirusZero
06.23.2013 , 11:32 AM | #9
In some stories it may be altered such as a chiss agent vs a human agent. On my chiss IA it seems the entire class story was written specifically for his race with watcher two calling you a dirty alien and Darth Jadus mentioning your status.
Quote: Originally Posted by CommunityDroidEN View Post
After our Shenanigans radar sounded off, we quickly hurried to this thread to see what was going on. Upon inspection of the reported Shenanigans, we have removed a few posts to prevent further Shenanigans from taking place.

Skodan
06.23.2013 , 01:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by ZirusZero View Post
In some stories it may be altered such as a chiss agent vs a human agent. On my chiss IA it seems the entire class story was written specifically for his race with watcher two calling you a dirty alien and Darth Jadus mentioning your status.
yea, but it wont exactly be a gamechanging experience. i recall a mission on hoth where you can either put a chiss guy in charge of operations or not, and based on if you are an alien or not you have some different responses that you can choose, such as something like "fellow aliens..." or "you alien scum" and something to that degree
Imperial Entanglements