Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Where did EA go Wrong?

veyl
06.20.2013 , 08:08 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
I know, but Bioware is a subsidiary of EA, and EA was part to blame for it, by rushing it meaning no final tweaks and polishes.
Together they made this mess, it wasn't just one of them.
lol, what? Bioware's development team were the ones who made the game, not EA. EA gave them the financial support that Bioware said they needed and the time frame to get the game made. Bioware then notoriously picked up a terrible engine and hackjob modded it to make it work for the game which gave them more problems then they anticipated resulting in slow production of the game. (gg hero engine). EA gave them the freedom that they needed to do what they had to do and Bioware -failed- at producing due to their own choices which you can mostly chalk up to being a MMO virgin in development. (And this stands out with how single player orientated the game mostly is.)

Bioware was told repeatedly throughout beta the changes that needed to be made and the warning signs of a stale life at 50. They did not listen and told the beta testers that they were there to look for bugs and that was it.
When you have a stubborn development team from the start that didn't listen to the feedback of the testers and didn't make the necessary changes to keep the initial huge flow of players, it is their own fault that the game imploded.

Again: EA went wrong with letting Bioware make the mmo in the first place. Bioware failed to meet expectations because they had no idea what they were getting themselves into.

SIDENOTE: Rift's development team is the best in the business. I wish this game had them because they are on the ball with fixing things and giving the players what they want. I think the story/setting is really the only thing that held the game back.

Selenial
06.20.2013 , 08:09 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by illuzian View Post
Mostly opinion. Not Fun? Are you kidding me?

I think you should actually unsub.
Of course it's opinion, that's actually one of the stupidest things I've read on these forums.
Almost all of this forum is opinion! That's the whole point!

And I never said it wasn't fun. I said they didn't put the small little things in that make you smile, and laugh.
You either can't read, or didn't bother reading my post.
The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion. Culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from… save one.
Zarys Sorcerer Cathinka Seeliara Sage
Force In Balance - The Harbinger

Vinak
06.20.2013 , 08:16 PM | #23
The one major thing holding Swtor back these days is its terrible business model. they'd have many, many more customers if they had a more user friendly business model like most other popular f2p mmos.

Whats the point of going F2p if you are going to make the f2p model so invasive you might as well continue your sub. It's completely counter intuitive.

If they just ditched the subscription option this game could really take off again.
>████TootsieRoll®████<
MXX ______.________CCCLXVII

Selenial
06.20.2013 , 08:19 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Vinak View Post
The one major thing holding Swtor back these days is its terrible business model. they'd have many, many more customers if they had a more user friendly business model like most other popular f2p mmos.
Agreed, I tried to say that in the OP.
Limiting people to a tiny amount of WZ's and FP's per week is ridiculous.

In fact, I'd hate rift if I hadn't got the awesome F2P experience everyone does, if they limited me to a certain number of world events or rifts or pvp per week, I wouldn't enjoy it as much as I do.
The Mandalorian Wars were a series of massacres that masked another war, a war of conversion. Culminating in a final atrocity that no Jedi could walk away from… save one.

Andryah
06.20.2013 , 08:22 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Selenial View Post
Don't you think it's odd that this entire community seems to think the Devs dont give a **** about them?
From this comment, IMO you completely misunderstand the community and you over-value your personal opinion in the context of what a development team does (for any MMO, not just this one).

Most of the community understands that it's a game of a million + active users (about half of which are subscribers and the rest preferred/free), with broadly diverse needs/wants/desires (sometimes at odds with one another) and the developers role is to move the game forward in a broad and controlled manner.

Besides, if they did not give a rat dropping.. they would just shut the game down. So I consider your entire original post to be provocative and designed to target EA for your perceived misgivings about the game.
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

Hizoka
06.20.2013 , 08:27 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by veyl View Post
lol, what? Bioware's development team were the ones who made the game, not EA. EA gave them the financial support that Bioware said they needed and the time frame to get the game made. Bioware then notoriously picked up a terrible engine and hackjob modded it to make it work for the game which gave them more problems then they anticipated resulting in slow production of the game. (gg hero engine). EA gave them the freedom that they needed to do what they had to do and Bioware -failed- at producing due to their own choices which you can mostly chalk up to being a MMO virgin in development. (And this stands out with how single player orientated the game mostly is.)

Bioware was told repeatedly throughout beta the changes that needed to be made and the warning signs of a stale life at 50. They did not listen and told the beta testers that they were there to look for bugs and that was it.
When you have a stubborn development team from the start that didn't listen to the feedback of the testers and didn't make the necessary changes to keep the initial huge flow of players, it is their own fault that the game imploded.

Again: EA went wrong with letting Bioware make the mmo in the first place. Bioware failed to meet expectations because they had no idea what they were getting themselves into.

SIDENOTE: Rift's development team is the best in the business. I wish this game had them because they are on the ball with fixing things and giving the players what they want. I think the story/setting is really the only thing that held the game back.
actually bioware was making an engine for the game and EA stormed in and said the hero engine is a pile of shyte but its cheap so use it.

Also Bioware has started making the MMO befoe EA bought them.. EA bought bioware so they could make money off the game.

Andryah
06.20.2013 , 08:27 PM | #27
Being the biggest western audience freemium MMO on the market right now.. your statement makes no sense at all.

Whats the point of going F2p if you are going to make the f2p model so invasive you might as well continue your sub. It's completely counter intuitive.
LOL... really?

Do you understand how Freemium business models even work for internet games? Sincere question. Not "free", but "freemium"

I ask because this statement indicates a complete lack of understanding of the model from a business perspective. It's written from the "user wants to play for free" perspective.

Freemium as a business model is designed to extract ~ the same revenue per active account as a subscriber model. It just does it in a different, and more flexible manner for the players. Different games approach it slightly differently, but they all want the free side to be tedious enough to encourage either "pay to unlock and stay free" OR subscribe.

I encourage players of MMOs to get to a point where they understand the business side of freemium in MMOs. Take time to research the topic before leaping in with comments like what I quoted above. A great starting point is: http://casualconnect.org/mag/summer2...mes_Report.pdf
sayonara SWTOR. I will miss the game, I will miss many players, I will NOT miss being lied to and deceived. I will not miss rookie level mistakes of epic proportions.

Selenial
06.20.2013 , 08:28 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post
From this comment, IMO you completely misunderstand the community and you over-value your personal opinion in the context of what a development team does (for any MMO, not just this one).

Most of the community understands that it's a game of a million + active users (about half of which are subscribers and the rest preferred/free), with broadly diverse needs/wants/desires (sometimes at odds with one another) and the developers role is to move the game forward in a broad and controlled manner.

Besides, if they did not give a rat dropping.. they would just shut the game down. So I consider your entire original post to be provocative and designed to target EA for your perceived misgivings about the game.
Was wondering when you'd chime in.
Thanks for the incredibly opinionated view on why MY post was far too opinionated and thus obsolete.

Selenial
06.20.2013 , 08:30 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Andryah View Post

Do you understand how Freemium business models even work for internet games? Sincere question. Not "free", but "freemium"

I ask because this statement indicates a complete lack of understanding of the model from a business perspective. It's written from the "user wants to play for free" perspective.

Freemium as a business model is designed to extract ~ the same revenue per active account as a subscriber model. It just does it in a different, and more flexible manner for the players. Different games approach it slightly differently, but they all want the free side to be tedious enough to encourage either "pay to unlock and stay free" OR subscribe.
Again, YOU misunderstand. I tho k this poster was saying, why make it so restricted she. You could do what (Yes I'm saying it again) Rift has done.
You get everything a sub gets, but subs get perks, and you still want to pay money for the awesome looking things in the rift shop!

annabethchase
06.20.2013 , 08:32 PM | #30
Engine choice. The engine is old and led to the major problems of the game which are older style gameplay mechanics, lack of open world pvp and slow deployment of new content.
"Rossum Eponine" & assorted other characters