Will TOR ever be compatible with Oculus Rift?

PhantomAxe

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of a silly question.

I mean, SWTOR isn't exactly full of environmental/atmospheric immersion. Neither is it the appropriate genre for OR.

No idae how you imagined this would work.

It could still work. Depends on how they implement the drivers and if they work with ATI and Nvidia for support via the GPU's....

Occulus could turn into nothing more then a new way to play any game and only the more advanced capabilities would be enabled on games that are made to support it ..other games it would be just like looking at any monitor except this one is strapped on your noggin. Maybe Unsupported games would default to a basic mode with no head tracking functions and just a static 1080 display in front of you.

Edited by CrazyCanukk

Bit of a silly question.

I mean, SWTOR isn't exactly full of environmental/atmospheric immersion. Neither is it the appropriate genre for OR.

No idae how you imagined this would work.

Silly Question? Not really.

Just an enquiry since I'm already playing in 3d on my Viera Plasma!

According to their website, Oculus only supports TF2 and Hawken (whatever that is) right now. It's a gimmick, don't waste your time.

Its not even out of development yet..hence why it only has a few games listed..

hard to call something a Gimmick when its still being developed and prototyped. They just sent a 1080p prototype to some devs because they still have a lot of development and R&D work to do before they release anything to the public. They are still trying to lower latencies between head movement and what's up on the screen to reduce the Motion sickness that latency can cause..

Lets not go and call something thats probably a year out from anything final a Gimmick just yet.

Edited by CrazyCanukk

Its not even out of development yet..hence why it only has a few games listed..

hard to call something a Gimmick when its still being developed and prototyped. They just sent a 1080p prototype to some devs because they still have a lot of development and R&D work to do before they release anything to the public. They are still trying to lower latencies between head movement and what's up on the screen to reduce the Motion sickness that latency can cause..

Lets not go and call something thats probably a year out from anything final a Gimmick just yet.

Its a gimmick. . .

. . .just like 3D telly. . .

• 1 month later...

Ah typical closed minded MMO players.

As someone who has actually tried one, i cant see any real use for it in swtor, but the immersion factor for sims and fps games is insane, it is far from a gimmick.

When mine arrives im going to try and use some of the 3rd party drivers to see if i can get it working in anyway in swtor, just to see

The fact that people are excited for this Oculus thing proves none of them are old enough to remember the Virtual Boy.

To be fair, 3D tech has improved a lot.

There was a time when 3D movies were thought to be a dead gimmick, now ever freaking movie seems to be in 3D.

I don't plan on getting one, but it could be an interesting move forward. Or it could fail. Or it could get a large enough niche following that it hangs in there a good while. Only time will tell.

For the record i am an avid sim racer, fiends of mine have already moved to using the rift full time, even with the low res dev kit over their 120hz triple screen setups due to the immersion factor. Like i said, probably no real use for an MMO but it is a massive game changer for simulations

As someone who has actually tried one, i cant see any real use for it in swtor, but the immersion factor for sims and fps games is insane, it is far from a gimmick.

/Agree with your assessment.

There is little real use for it for SWTOR IMO. For this game.. it is indeed a gimmick. For full up simulators though.. it's the wave of the future. I suppose a good FPS shooter could benefit from it too... but since there is no momentum toward consoles for OR at this time... it's premature to think it's headed that direction.

I imagine these will be quite expensive even for the consumer models.. but they could spawn the technology that could innovate over a period of years into a true consumer product.. But I think it would take the likes of LG or Samsung to make that actually happen.

I wouldn't mind getting one just to mess around with it in 3D environments. If it works as good as people have said then I am all for it. Just as long as it does not give me a headache when using it. :)

You know what comes to mind for me when thinking of the Oculus Rift. Lawnmower Man. LOL :D

Seriously though I like what I have seen so far. I can not wait to be able to test one out in person. I really hope that it turns out how they describe and works as good as people say it does.

I think it would be cool if it could be used with MMORPG's such as SWTOR. But so far I have large doubts that BioWare would try to add support for it. Even though the Hero Engine supports Free Look, BioWare would still have to code it into the game by adding a Modified version of the Free Look Feature so that it could take the input from the Oculus Rift as intended. With the way that BioWare has been lately I have high doubts that they would be willing or even able to do this. We have a hard enough time getting some bugs and issues fixed already so to see them adding this is something I have high doubts about. :(

It would be cool though. :cool:

• 4 months later...
It's a gimmick, don't waste your time.

While it remains to be seen whether Oculus is Research In Motion (Blackberry) or Apple (iPhone), VR headsets will be the shizz in no more than 5 years. In 10-15 years VR headsets will be making headway into the business community. Can you say big data visualization?

Any 3d environment like WoW and SWTOR (pretty much any video game) is a perfect fit for VR headsets. This coming decade is a really exciting time for user interface with Kinect and Oculus Rift type technologies.

Adding support for Oculus Rift should be no more difficult then adding support for existing 3d technologies (e.g. regular monitors with shutter glasses). Whether there will be a business case for adding 3d support to old MMO products remains to be seen but the cost of doing so should not be ridiculously high.

There is little real use for it for SWTOR IMO. For this game.. it is indeed a gimmick.

Completely disagree. It is no more a gimmick than having 3 monitors and a top of the line graphics card with all the features turned up to high. I would not call it a requirement or a gimmick -- I call it a luxury.

My wife and I play SWTOR side by side on 2 different computers. My computer is newer (faster CPU, RAM and video card) and the game looks much better on mine (detail and frame rate) but her's is very playable.

I would shell out $300 for an Oculus Rift in a heartbeat if SWTOR supported it. Heck, I'll probably get a Rift regardless and try out what ever MMO supports it and looks most interesting.

Occulus rift is a huge fad, just like the Virtual Boy was back in the day.

NO ONE wants to have a screen on their face. Can you imagine yourself playing something in your living room with some oversized glasses looking around like a weirdo and with a controller in your hands?

Not only that, how is this gonna work with a controller? There is gonna be delay, its gonna feel weird to move with your regular controller and look around with your head. Why? When you can do that with your right analog stick without straining your neck and having the unconfortable experience of this heavy piece of hardware in your face?

Sorry, it makes for cool anime storylines, but for the real world, i dont see this working. I'm sure everyone wants it to work, but it wont.

The only way this would maybe make any sense is in conjunction with something that can read your movements like the kinect. But, this also ends up beeing extremely expensive and theres no garantee that the gameplay will follow suit.

Edited by Nemmar

Only way I could imagine this working with TOR, from a game-play standpoint, would be to free up 2 keybinds(a,d). Or it could be used to control the camera if nothing else.

Otherwise, this looks more like an FPS peripheral. I really can't see it making a big impact immersion-wise on a 3rd person viewing angle IMHO.

Edit: Wow didn't notice the date of the OP.

Edited by SteelPiranha