Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The absolute BEST SW ep7 news to date...

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
The absolute BEST SW ep7 news to date...

TheBBP
06.21.2013 , 05:22 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by mefit View Post
Taken from above link in interview which states Disney's control and say ......
That was never in question was it? Why would they buy it if they could not control it?
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk

mefit
06.21.2013 , 06:22 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
That was never in question was it? Why would they buy it if they could not control it?
You said there was stipulations and right there Disney said they can do whatever they like from new movie on ! What you quoted was why Lucas replied to about him being there to consult ...

Disney is going to do what they can to keep the series going and get new fans while trying to maintain old ones , but they will look out for their investment first .
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

XeneticsOyubaat
06.21.2013 , 06:36 PM | #23
I don't understand why George Lucas sold LucasArts to Disney in the first place. LucasArts is such a profitable and successful franchise, and on top of that it is renowned for having George at its helm, why on earth would Lucas jeopardize such a franchise and brand image by selling it?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Lucas gets a lot of stick from fans, I agree, but I also think that George Lucas brings a lot of it upon himself, particularly with the Clone Wars series. He appointed Dave Filoni, who despite being a brilliant director has managed to see a lot of the Star Wars Universe retconned and fans angered; and fans have a right to be angry, Lucas created a universe of magic, a universe of possibility and exploration and now people question why fans are getting shifty when Lucas kind of changes those elements?

Anyway I'm not expecting much from these new films. Something tells me they are going to dig a nice hole into canon or better yet create a hole between canon events after the fall of the Empire; pretty much only looking forward to Star Wars Rebels and the return of the Clone Wars series if there ever will be one!

TheBBP
06.21.2013 , 08:14 PM | #24
You said there was stipulations and right there Disney said they can do whatever they like from new movie on ! What you quoted was why Lucas replied to about him being there to consult ...

Disney is going to do what they can to keep the series going and get new fans while trying to maintain old ones , but they will look out for their investment first .
I wish that I could find it for you, but it was eluded to that they came to an agreement on certain things. I cannot imagine that they were huge, sweeping rules. They obviously have zero bearing on disney moving forward.

Now, this is gonna bug me till I find it. I will work on that tonight lol.
The Ebon Hawk

TheBBP
06.21.2013 , 08:19 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by XeneticsOyubaat View Post
I don't understand why George Lucas sold LucasArts to Disney in the first place. LucasArts is such a profitable and successful franchise, and on top of that it is renowned for having George at its helm, why on earth would Lucas jeopardize such a franchise and brand image by selling it?

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread that Lucas gets a lot of stick from fans, I agree, but I also think that George Lucas brings a lot of it upon himself, particularly with the Clone Wars series. He appointed Dave Filoni, who despite being a brilliant director has managed to see a lot of the Star Wars Universe retconned and fans angered; and fans have a right to be angry, Lucas created a universe of magic, a universe of possibility and exploration and now people question why fans are getting shifty when Lucas kind of changes those elements?

Anyway I'm not expecting much from these new films. Something tells me they are going to dig a nice hole into canon or better yet create a hole between canon events after the fall of the Empire; pretty much only looking forward to Star Wars Rebels and the return of the Clone Wars series if there ever will be one!
He wants to retire. I think that the stipulations that Lucas and Disney agreed to (that we are talking about elsewhere in this thread) are a few certain things that Disney won't do or change. I imagine that these things revolve around the Skywalker's, but nothing that shoe-strings Disney from having fun.

I think that this is what Lucas needed to let go. To know that there are certain things that will not change. That is why.

Anyways, he wanted to marry his honey. He doesn't need or want the money. He is donating something like 2/3 of the billions he is getting to charity.
The Ebon Hawk

TheBBP
06.21.2013 , 08:52 PM | #26
THIS video interview is the best that I can do at the moment. He talks directly about the material that he has given them that protects his (established) characters and their story.

Clearly Disney does indeed have the final say, but by all accounts it appears that they have agreed to protect what has happened. I would also guess that Lucas sought to protect the story and legacy of Anakin.
The Ebon Hawk

mefit
06.22.2013 , 10:12 AM | #27
THIS video interview is the best that I can do at the moment. He talks directly about the material that he has given them that protects his (established) characters and their story.

Clearly Disney does indeed have the final say, but by all accounts it appears that they have agreed to protect what has happened. I would also guess that Lucas sought to protect the story and legacy of Anakin.
I think I said this already but Disney will not touch or remake the EP1-6 , it is protected and will remain True Canon .

In the Article you have given us (Thankyou) it is stated in there apart of the deal is that George Lucas will be credited "Creator of StarWars" (Once he dies ) but I believe it will be at the beginning or end of every Movie , show , book , and game .
This should be a given to be honest .
I am not idiot either , besides his 4+ Billion it is likely him and his family will get royalties on ever future movie , book , game that bares the StarWars Brand .

Might even be a Buy back clause as well , meaning if Disney ever wishes to sell the property of company , they must reach out to Lucas or a living relative first.

Everything else states in that Article that Lucas will be on to Consult that was a Job he did not ask for , it was one that Disney asked him to take . To keep StarWars within his vision .
It also says that while he can consult them on the rules and laws of StarWars , it is ultimately up to them to follow it if they wish and if they wish not to they can do what they wish.

Probably by my post you guys or many of you think I am Anti George Lucas , this is not true . I am scared that the Series will also be up to investors................this is not what I want.
I wanted more Movies , a less tightening on Canon . All could have been done by Lucas or his kids .....
It is my hopes that maybe Darkhorse keeps its rights to make the books and comics , other than what they did with Luke I like most their works . What would Marvel do has me a little scared .
I am not worried about Mickey Mouse or X-Men cross overs as it would kill the Series so I would believe people at Marvel would not be so stupid .
I am worried about the type of stories they would tell , and Darkhorse kept StarWars at a Adult readers level in most ways .

But , if they ruin StarWars , my life will not end . It will just be sad of years of memories go down the drain.
Darth Mefit
Sith Marauder
Chiss
Shadowlands Server

Thylbanus
06.22.2013 , 10:55 AM | #28
Where you get this ?
Hollywood Reporter

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it, but the "...honoring but not revering what came before." Since the follow up asked if that meant the books (i.e. most of the EU). He refused to comment. As we all know his aversion to being frank about story (i.e. Khan in "into Darkness"), this seems to hint that he may indeed, since he is such a fan.
Quote:
Post the link please because all sources so far point to Lucas has not even looked at the new movie or script so far .
Well yea, NO ONE has seen the movie or the script, because there isn't one yet. They are just fleshing out what they want to do. Kind of a silly statement.
Quote:
There is nothing about the EU being mentioned and only so far did Disney/LucasFilms state that the Films EP1-6 will remain intact.
*See the Hollywood Reporter above
Quote:
BAM
All the extreme Fan base just had their veins pop !
CALL A MEDIC!
Quote:
With that said , Abrams is a Star Wars Films fan and will likely stay true to those films with his own touch on them.
Remember, he is a HUGE fan of Star Wars. He's read the books and it will likely play a roll in his decisions, even if it is subconsciously.
Quote:
Lucas sold his company and properties to move on . Likely got tired of fans telling him and others around him what he can do or can't with his property .
Likely got tired of the threats that he himself got when PTs were released , all the bad feed back , and the threats his employees (Authors) were getting over their works with StarWars .
George is a incredible decent man who likely got sick of the bs and is letting Star Wars move forward now .
It seem TheBBP and I read some of the same stuff:
I can't find where I heard or read that about there being stipulations. But I did find this bit here in THIS ARTICLE.

"Even so, he’s attended story meetings for the new film, adjudicating the physical laws and attributes of the Star Wars universe. “I mostly say, ‘You can’t do this. You can do that,’ ” Lucas says. “You know, ‘The cars don’t have wheels. They fly with antigravity.’ There’s a million little pieces. Or I can say, ‘He doesn’t have the power to do that, or he has to do this.’ I know all that stuff.”"
EDIT: Additional comments
I am not idiot either, besides his 4.1 billion it is likely HE and his family will get royalties on every future movie, book, game that bares the Star Wars Brand.
Incorrect, he sold the IP rights, therefore it no longer belongs to him. He will receive no royalties.
Quote:
It will just be sad of years of memories go down the drain.
I'm puzzled how it will do that. Do current events change your memory? I mean outside of a head injury or mental illness.
It's amazing how loud a dollar can be.
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." - Kristin Wilson

Eillack
06.22.2013 , 11:37 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by ImmortalLowlife View Post
Ep 1-3..... I rest my case......
JJ Star Trek.

I rest mine.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

Beniboybling
06.22.2013 , 11:43 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by Eillack View Post
JJ Star Trek.

I rest mine.
I would say I rest my case, but that's getting a little old.

I rest my leather case in which my arguments are held on the table in front of you.