Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

2.4 Arena is a great idea!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
2.4 Arena is a great idea!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

AlexModny
06.20.2013 , 08:11 AM | #11 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
Thanks for the post Selout! We appreciate the enthusiasm and are really looking forward to you guys learning more about what is coming in 2.4! Here's to us being able to share more details Soon™

Cheers!
Alex Modny | Assistant Designer
Follow us on Twitter @SWTOR | Like us on Facebook
[Contact Us] [Rules of Conduct] [F.A.Q.] [Dev Tracker]

cycao
06.20.2013 , 08:13 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexModny View Post
Thanks for the post Selout! We appreciate the enthusiasm and are really looking forward to you guys learning more about what is coming in 2.4! Here's to us being able to share more details Soon™

Cheers!
Please stay tuned to have your hopes and dreams crushed.

skotish
06.20.2013 , 08:23 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
Like ranked warzones tm lol
Quote: Originally Posted by Frankenseuss View Post
Palpetine: "... Not from a TOR dev."
TOFN Farquar'hoffe/Val'korsin

Herbzta
06.20.2013 , 08:25 AM | #14
but plz don't do 4vs4 in the current warzones...
<Parasite>

Rendolphe
06.20.2013 , 08:27 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by cycao View Post
Mind crush ?

'' Crushes the target's mind with the Force ''
Prophecy of the Five

My Youtube channel : http://www.youtube.com/user/rendolphegamer
My TwitchTV channel : http://www.twitch.tv/rendolphegamer

Jherad
06.20.2013 , 08:34 AM | #16
Small scale (4 v 4 or less) arenas are a horrible horrible idea that highlight every flaw in PvP and class balance. Even Blizzard admits that.

IF we must have arenas, I hope they keep the 8v8 format, or better yet, 16v16.
Zacharďah - Commando / Chasso - Merc
Youtube / Twitch
2.4 is the PvP Patch! ... J/K, Removing RWZs trolololol

Icebergy
06.20.2013 , 08:41 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by MotorCityMan View Post
The reason that Blizzard holds a competitive arena event and awards prizes is to generate hype and promote their game. 3 players teams are much less expensive and easier to manage than 10 player teams. It isn't that arena is somehow more valid than other pvp formats.
In fact, here is a statement by Blizzard's VP of Game Design stating how arenas were the single biggest mistake in WoW's history. http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/11/13/bl...ere-a-mistake/
I am not anxious to see Bioware waste very limited resources in repeating that mistake.

Arenas take constant fine tuning of balance, and a very accurate and careful match making system, a large population to enable the match making system, among other things, to be viable. Your post makes it abundantly clear that you feel that Blizzard has failed at this, even with years of experience and a huge budget. How in the world would anyone expect Bioware to succeed with very limited personal and resources?

Dedicated arena players are a very tiny percentage of the player population, even of the pvp population. What limited resouces Bioware has would be better spent in developing warzones and open world pvp suitable to a majority, rather than a tiny minority.

Arena pvp is a dead end street. Once the pecking order has been established, game over. Arena will wither on the vine just as ranked did. There is no magic in 4. The player response will be the same.

Where is this "whole population" looking for competitive pvp? Because they sure are avoiding the competitive pvp that is readily available to them already. If players were fighting to get into ranked, and the forums were full of posts of players looking for teams then I could see adding arena as a feature that was fulfilling a need. But that is hardly the way it is.

I don't at all agree with your assesment that open world and instanced pvp are "fatally flawed" because players can revive and return to battle. And I certainly don't agree with your heals are Op statement, but the post is too long as it is to detail my argument.
I agree with all this.

Arenas were a huge mistake in WoW, hopefully Bioware will learn from Blizzard's mistakes and either not have arena at all, or at least not let balancing arena ruin every other aspect of the game.
Unsubscribed due to no new Operations.
I am happy that there will be a renewed focus on story, I love story, its why I picked this MMO. But I picked an MMO, not an episodic single player RPG that I have to pay a subscription to receive the episodes.

cycao
06.20.2013 , 08:43 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post
Small scale (4 v 4 or less) arenas are a horrible horrible idea that highlight every flaw in PvP and class balance. Even Blizzard admits that.

I would not really call that an arena but a warzone.

In all honesty we have absolutely no idea what these 'arenas' will be or more importantly how they will function.

Andryah
06.20.2013 , 08:43 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Jherad View Post

/Agree.

If what they do is 8v8 WZ without objectives (other then to kill off the other team), I'm fine with it. It's still faux-PvP IMO as it is sanitized instanced play... but hey...some PvPers like that.

Please Bioware, just do not adjust classes based on what goes on inside a arena format. People should play in an arena format "as is" and the reward should be competitive standing...nothing more... because if you give material rewards (or RL cash) you set the stage for arena players to "demand" adjustments for balance issues.
I'm back..... in advance of KotFE.

Machine-Elf
06.20.2013 , 08:57 AM | #20
Can someone explain to me what Arenas are? SWTOR's my first MMO...