Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Getting Steam overlay to work?

Hamsterkill
12.21.2011 , 08:19 AM | #1
Hey, I'm trying to get the Steam overlay running with SWTOR (by adding it to my Steam library as a Non-Steam game). The overlay doesn't work, though, and Steam can't even to seem to recognize that its running (my Steam status remains 'Online' instead of 'In Non-Steam Game'). I was using the proper Steam shortcut to start the game.

Has anyone else gotten this to work? I kinda like having the overlay in games with access to a web browser and my steam friends list without alt-tabbing.

MysticFurry
12.21.2011 , 01:56 PM | #2
They probably want you to use origin but im trying to get it to work as well cause **** origin :P

WortThree
12.21.2011 , 01:57 PM | #3
You know you can run SWTOR directly from your PC desktop without having to have Origin, Steam, or any other thing running, right?

Why would you want to over complicate it by adding another layer to your start up?
Standard Edition Pre-ordered
Vengeful Malice

MysticFurry
12.21.2011 , 02:24 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by WortThree View Post
You know you can run SWTOR directly from your PC desktop without having to have Origin, Steam, or any other thing running, right?

Why would you want to over complicate it by adding another layer to your start up?
You have obviously never used steam and I feel bad for you

NomadTidian
12.21.2011 , 03:01 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by WortThree View Post

Because I want to use the overlay and use the web browser without alt-tabbing and reseting my graphics in game every time. Alt-+tabbing to the wiki is largely annoying and time consuming.

Pailryder
12.21.2011 , 03:09 PM | #6
i don't have a direct solution but windowed mode actually runs very well and allows tabbing to other windows without the graphics resetting.
Treason is just one letter away from reason.

flaresama
12.21.2011 , 08:35 PM | #7
Well sure you can alt-tab (or windows key-tab if you're in Vista/7), however, if one of my many friends on Steam IMs me it would be cool just to be able to reply while still in game with out having to switch out of the game to respond.

Felrodin
12.23.2011 , 09:12 PM | #8
This is relevant to my interests. So many people I know chat on Steam, and I hate the Alt-Tabbing. And just being able to let people know what I'm playing would be nice as well.
Let me make this abundantly clear.
I do the job...I get paid.

Serpenttt
01.04.2012 , 02:11 PM | #9
Bumping this in hopes that someone has come up with a solution. I guess there is something working for XP users, need something for windows 7 64.
Serpentine, many many alts. Ebon Hawk.

Wholly
01.11.2012 , 10:46 PM | #10
Searching other forums might find something.
Wholly Mindless