Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Data Cube-credit boom

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Data Cube-credit boom
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Ceasaigh
06.18.2013 , 09:29 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

As some of you have already guessed, we made this change to address exploitive behavior. Players were able to create new characters, and with some craftiness, fairly quickly and repeatedly acquire the Credit Booms from the Encrypted Data Cubes.

Hope that explains the decision. Thanks!

-eric
So in other words you didn't think it through that players with 12 Characters would take a item that can be traded via the collection and use it on all of their characters?

Players weren't being "crafty or using "exploitive behavior", they were simply using the system that you have in place.
Jedi Guardian Ceasaigh
<Working as Intended>
"The Hawk Legacy"
Jedi Covenant

selios
06.18.2013 , 09:46 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

As some of you have already guessed, we made this change to address exploitive behavior. Players were able to create new characters, and with some craftiness, fairly quickly and repeatedly acquire the Credit Booms from the Encrypted Data Cubes.

Hope that explains the decision. Thanks!

-eric
How many patches will we have to wait for you to drop the quality level of data cubes down from epic to rare? Data cubes shouldn't have been a part of the rarest list to begin with.

Mike_Bluesky
06.18.2013 , 09:55 AM | #23
^ data cubes shouldn't be in the CM in the first place.
I don't have friends but I really want those pets -> referral link (you get free stuff too!)

zzoorrzz
06.18.2013 , 09:57 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by selios View Post
How many patches will we have to wait for you to drop the quality level of data cubes down from epic to rare? Data cubes shouldn't have been a part of the rarest list to begin with.
they shouldn't be part of CM to begin with.

Could somebody writing yellow explain how do they plan to fix the fact that story cutscenes are obtainable via packs?

Kilora
06.18.2013 , 10:02 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by zzoorrzz View Post

Could somebody writing yellow explain how do they plan to fix the fact that story cutscenes are obtainable via packs?
It only needs a fix if it is a problem.

And if they don't consider it a problem, it won't be fixed.

ShAdOwXkAgE
06.18.2013 , 10:07 AM | #26

They're completely optional. They offer an extra little glimpse into the motivation behind the Shroud's actions, but are in no way required to appreciate the main story to it's full extent.

While I understand the removal of the credit booms, the BoP XP boosts is taking it a little overboard. Why? What's wrong with me running these cubes on an alt to get XP boosts to trade to a specific alt I'm pushing towards 55? There is literally no point to unlocking these at the current point in time. Valor boosts? Maybe. The credit booms and XP boosts were pretty much the only reason for unlocking these in collections.

In short, BioWare, you had better make the "special reward" for collecting all 8 worth worth the effort and money spent to collect these damn things. If we spent all this money to collect the cubes for a lame reward, then there will likely be backlash. SO make it like a unique set or armor or a speeder or something. Something to justify the money spent.

EDIT: Two suggestions.
1) Put a level requirement on the quests and restore the rewards. Like maybe require level 20+ to take and complete the quests. This way you don't have people creating endless alts and rushing their ships for free credits.
2) An extra cosmetic reason to collect the cubes. Either let them transform into a little fluff item that lets us say hold our character's hands out and we could see the cube float above them (looking like mini versions of the various holocrons out there) or add a pedestal to the ship that displays the cube in all it's shiny glory. Something to make them not feel so incredibly useless now.

NovemberAllthing
06.18.2013 , 10:08 AM | #27
I'd like to suggest you give the credit boom to only level 55 players. There are plenty of people who don't care about the valor boost and I already have enough unneeded bound xp boosts on my 55 characters.

I legacy unlocked it right away with cartel coins and that's after spending the money on hypercrates, I'd like a reward I can actually use on my 55s please.

Andryah
06.18.2013 , 10:12 AM | #28
It's faux story cutscenes. They have no playable context in the game itself and are not required. As such they are fluff. They are simply a different novelty item from the CM, and interesting to collectors IMO.

Now, you could argue that they are so worthless and that you'd rather have a gold plated butter knife for your smuggler or agent.... but that is arguing fluff over fluff.
"We don't see the world as it is. We see the world as WE are." ~Anais Nin

Andryah
06.18.2013 , 10:14 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by NovemberAllthing View Post
I'd like a reward I can actually use on my 55s please.
People get random items from packs all the time that they cannot use (or consider worthless). Why does this one deserve special consideration?

Sincere question.

Andryah
06.18.2013 , 10:17 AM | #30
[QUOTE=ShAdOwXkAgE;6446764While I understand the removal of the credit booms, the BoP XP boosts is taking it a little overboard. Why? [/QUOTE]

Why? It does not fix the exploit for credits. Because if they are not bound... then players will still exploit by selling them to other players.

That said.. the smart move by Bioware is to make a Bind_to_Legacy version of XP boosts and use that in this case. There are other cases where BtL xp boosts also make sense in this game too.