Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Encrypted Data Cube-credit boom

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Data Cube-credit boom
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Fractal_Eye's Avatar


Fractal_Eye
06.19.2013 , 07:18 AM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Let's be honest, do you think people would've unlocked the datacube collections if it had a lousy reward?
(Great post overall, but I really only wanted to address the last part.)

I, for one, would have never unlocked them in the collections if I had known that they would have removed the credit boom and make the XP boost bind-on-pickup. Also, while they're at it, make the Valor boost BoP as well; if BW are going to nerf the cubes into (nigh) uselessness, they might as well go for it all!

I can kinda see the reason for removing the credit boom (although, they should have thought that through before having it as a reward in the first place, but, then again, we all know how great BW does with their internal testing of things... ), but now the cubes are pretty useless to me. I don't PvP (nor do I plan to), so the Valor boosts are a waste for me. Also, all my characters are either level 55 or 50+ (all except my current alt I'm leveling), so the BoP XP boosts won't help me as well. (Well, it'd help on some of my 50s, but I really don't plan on leveling them up to 55, tbh.)

Basically, all EAWare did with the changing of the rewards was to ensure that I won't be spending CC to unlock the next 4 datacubes in my collections tab. I'll just wait until they go on sale on the GTN for cheap (which shouldn't take long, considering the number of people who buy hypercrates, and the crappy rewards now), and buy them to watch the scenes.

Otherwise, another (decent, imo) idea gone pear-shaped due to EAWare's lack of planning and forethought.

(I really ought to be used to that by now, huh?)

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
06.19.2013 , 07:23 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by Fractal_Eye View Post
(Great post overall, but I really only wanted to address the last part.)

I, for one, would have never unlocked them in the collections if I had known that they would have removed the credit boom and make the XP boost bind-on-pickup. Also, while they're at it, make the Valor boost BoP as well; if BW are going to nerf the cubes into (nigh) uselessness, they might as well go for it all!

I can kinda see the reason for removing the credit boom (although, they should have thought that through before having it as a reward in the first place, but, then again, we all know how great BW does with their internal testing of things... ), but now the cubes are pretty useless to me. I don't PvP (nor do I plan to), so the Valor boosts are a waste for me. Also, all my characters are either level 55 or 50+ (all except my current alt I'm leveling), so the BoP XP boosts won't help me as well. (Well, it'd help on some of my 50s, but I really don't plan on leveling them up to 55, tbh.)

Basically, all EAWare did with the changing of the rewards was to ensure that I won't be spending CC to unlock the next 4 datacubes in my collections tab. I'll just wait until they go on sale on the GTN for cheap (which shouldn't take long, considering the number of people who buy hypercrates, and the crappy rewards now), and buy them to watch the scenes.

Otherwise, another (decent, imo) idea gone pear-shaped due to EAWare's lack of planning and forethought.

(I really ought to be used to that by now, huh?)
Wouldn't be a bad time for them to put in costume pieces people have been asking for as BoP items of these datacubes or just flat out costume items.

BW: Look! We took away the credit boon reward, but added in an adaptive version of Aspiring Jedi Knight Vest and Thana Vesh's Top as a reward choice!
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

SweetsPatogga's Avatar


SweetsPatogga
06.19.2013 , 08:52 AM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
Wouldn't be a bad time for them to put in costume pieces people have been asking for as BoP items of these datacubes or just flat out costume items.

BW: Look! We took away the credit boon reward, but added in an adaptive version of Aspiring Jedi Knight Vest and Thana Vesh's Top as a reward choice!
Exactly. They took away the credit boom over (overblown imo) concerns of abuse. Fine.

But give endgame players something they can use. Even a vanity item. Just something. Throw us a bone. Otherwise we're just paying for minor story content.

ivanhedgehog's Avatar


ivanhedgehog
06.19.2013 , 03:57 PM | #144
Quote: Originally Posted by Tythonians View Post
Why would you do it after it was fixed?

Treat this as a golden rule: the Collections system is never intended as a way of obtaining credits.
thats why they didnt include a credit grant item. oops, they did

Blackavaar's Avatar


Blackavaar
06.19.2013 , 04:26 PM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by ShAdOwXkAgE View Post
They're completely optional. They offer an extra little glimpse into the motivation behind the Shroud's actions, but are in no way required to appreciate the main story to it's full extent.

/clip
Actually, yeah, they are required to experience the story to its full extent since they expand upon the main story.

Sure, they are not necessary and the story makes perfect sense without them, but it's like the extra scenes they add into Extended Cut movies when they go to DVD. They expand upon the story and give you new insights that you might not have had before. So, in order to experience the story to its full extent, you do need them.

Only the meek get pinched. The bold survive.(███████████████████████████████████║║█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙◙◙◙[█]

Lyshar's Avatar


Lyshar
06.19.2013 , 10:40 PM | #146
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

As some of you have already guessed, we made this change to address exploitive behavior. Players were able to create new characters, and with some craftiness, fairly quickly and repeatedly acquire the Credit Booms from the Encrypted Data Cubes.

Hope that explains the decision. Thanks!

-eric
I understand, but that just means you have to COMPLETELY rethink the rewards seeing as... http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=650290

We are sitting on those worthless junk items enough as it is, the credit boon was the only option I was interested in, and silly me was waiting to get a chance to get them all to get all the STORY in one go. Still not happy with story being put in the damned gambling packs to begin with!

Maybe you could make the rewards dependant on level. Or at least make it all bound to legacy so it can be traded to other characters in the same account!

ESPP's Avatar


ESPP
06.20.2013 , 04:19 AM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Hey folks,

As some of you have already guessed, we made this change to address exploitive behavior. Players were able to create new characters, and with some craftiness, fairly quickly and repeatedly acquire the Credit Booms from the Encrypted Data Cubes.

Hope that explains the decision. Thanks!

-eric
Fantastic. Then you can start by returning my cartel coins back to me, since I payed for a service/upgrade that you no longer provide. They are 100% useless to me now, since I cannot use the Xp boost on other lowbies due to bop. You could at least have bound them on legacy.

catswithshoes's Avatar


catswithshoes
06.21.2013 , 06:49 AM | #148
1. make credit boom BOP
2. make it scale the amount of credits to character level
3. unpatch this nonsense.

Nilspils's Avatar


Nilspils
08.17.2014 , 10:39 PM | #149
Why could I not have red this thread before opening 12 cartel packs in hope of getting them all....and why on Korriban do they sell for 400.000 a pop on GTN!?
Something this rare really gives you expectations, feel soo cheated right now. Followed a link to the armor set, and it does not even look good!
If you try to get all cubes you will be paying credits or CC as if you were trying to get a high end mount, and you get a lowbee boring piece of armor and xp (To afford these boxes you must pay so much that you prob don't need any extra XP, none of my character have managed to avoid geting over leveled anyways.....)

Why not just make it a level 50+ event? Then noone can exploit anything. Or put in some usefull reward at the end, like a reputation item or hoover car or an armor that you would care to use. After all to get all 8 you need to buy so many cartel pacs that you have all the adaptive armor you can handle anyways......this is just bad imagination and lazy game design all over. Strike 1: not forseeing the issue, strike 2: redicoulous fix (Just set a level cap or replace reward!), strike 3: Not reading or caring about this post.