Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Encrypted Data Cube-credit boom

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Encrypted Data Cube-credit boom
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Zaella
06.18.2013 , 06:54 AM | #1
I saw in the patch notes that the credit boom option has been removed from the encrypted date cubes, does anyone know why? Was it exploited? I'm curious, it was pleasant surprise when I saw the option.

Hyfy
06.18.2013 , 07:03 AM | #2
That probably is the reason why. I noticed right away how it could be after testing it out with the collections tab on an Alt.
US. ARMY Military Police Corps

Sarcasm, a bodies natural defense against stupid

Taorus
06.18.2013 , 07:04 AM | #3
Because the only one allowed to make money in SWTOR is EAware.

SithKoriandr
06.18.2013 , 07:08 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Zaella View Post
I saw in the patch notes that the credit boom option has been removed from the encrypted date cubes, does anyone know why? Was it exploited? I'm curious, it was pleasant surprise when I saw the option.
My first thought on this...

Buy datacubes. Unlock them from collections for 60 CC. Make new character. Collect credit boom. Mail to someone. Delete character. Repeat.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

darkbadeo
06.18.2013 , 07:10 AM | #5
sadly this means that the encrypted datacubes are worthless now
cause your getting a lower then rare item from a artfact grade item
meaning its stealing a slot from the random luck factor in the cartel packs

i get it that it can be used to dupe cash troug collections
but they could also have changed the item to give the quest once and after that youl be unable to use the item to get the quest again
thus halting the abuse glitch
instead they remove the one thing that made up for the datacubes taking a artifact slot from your packs
with how it is made now the item is no longer artifact rank worthy and should be lowered to prototype grade rank

(p.s. you can also make it so that you cant unlock it for all characters anymore like hte equips with mods in them or the legacy cartel gear)
Owner of a CE version of Star Wars The Old Republic
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_--_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-

SithKoriandr
06.18.2013 , 07:12 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbadeo View Post

but they could also have changed the item to give the quest once and after that youl be unable to use the item to get the quest again
instead they remove the one thing that made up for the datacubes taking a artifact slot from your packs
with how it is made now the item is no longer artifact rank worthy and should be lowered to prototype grade rank
And people may have bought the packs specifically to get those cubes into their collections to use them as intended (for a choice of three items) and BW just screwed them over.
"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more...than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so *********** what." - Stephen Fry

Jenovan
06.18.2013 , 07:36 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by darkbadeo View Post

(p.s. you can also make it so that you cant unlock it for all characters anymore like hte equips with mods in them or the legacy cartel gear)
They're also now pretty worthless to level 55 characters who don't need/want Valor boosts. :/

It'd be at least a little handy if the XP boosts were bind-on-legacy, but I don't think there's any precedent for that, so I won't hold my breath. Could the former credit boom be replaced with something else BOP/BTL that would be moderately useful to level-capped characters? (Scratching my head to think of something, here...)

I don't think I would have put these in collections to begin with, TBH; it's like putting credit booms/boosts themselves in collections. :/
Ebon Hawk * The Thirteenth Legion * RP/Social/Casual
Kjara | Avidior | Mizret | Ysmena
Forging Fortune * Aviditas

Mowermanx
06.18.2013 , 07:36 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post

Buy datacubes. Unlock them from collections for 60 CC. Make new character. Collect credit boom. Mail to someone. Delete character. Repeat.
Don't you need a ship to be able to enter someone else's ship?
If so, you would have to level each toon to that level(14-15?) before being able to take advantage of that as you need to be able to get to nar shaddaa to claim the rewards.
Unless someone found a way around it.

Fluffyburrito
06.18.2013 , 07:38 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post

Actually you have to have a ship to get to Nar Shaada, so getting past Coroscant or Kaas City was mandatory. (Meaning it's not something that could have been exploited.)

I made 1.2 million off those credit boxes so I can see why they removed them, but making the major experience bind on pickup was a bad move. There's literally no reward for level 55's to use them. (The conversations certainly aren't interesting.)

AzraelCales
06.18.2013 , 07:49 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Mowermanx View Post
Don't you need a ship to be able to enter someone else's ship?
If so, you would have to level each toon to that level(14-15?) before being able to take advantage of that as you need to be able to get to nar shaddaa to claim the rewards.
Unless someone found a way around it.
Noone said anything about a ship. There are mailboxes right as you start each character which you can use to mail items if you have a character just for that.
Darth Sypherius - The world means nothing to a dreamer.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lord_of_Mu View Post
By all means, please proceed to pull out your MMO walking stick and wave it.