Two things keeping me from transferring

Kupo

1. Cost. I'm not planning to transfer a single character - I want to pick up and leave. As many others have stated, Bioware has encouraged us to make multiple alts thru things like the legacy system. I now have 6 characters that I want to move, but at the stated price of 1800 coins that adds up to about 100 dollars.

2. Unavailable names. All but 1 of my character names are taken on the destination server. I know for a fact that 3 of them (with a possible 4th) have been abandoned for several months, if not longer. I submitted a ticket (#9283827) asking if those names could be freed up for reuse, but all I was told is "Unfortunately, at this time we are unable to process your request as we do not offer the service you have requested." :( Is there a plan for recovering abandoned character names? It's kind of important, especially given the limited number of servers to choose from.

1. If you only transfer one, it takes all your legacy buffs and achievements with you.

2. What exactly do you want here? Do you want us to tell you that you deserve the names more than the person that has them? Should they be stripped of the names they want just so you can transfer, even though you can transfer anyways?

The false sense of entitlement is strong with this one.

Edited by Icebergy

2. What exactly do you want here? Do you want us to tell you that you deserve the names more than the person that has them? Should they be stripped of the names they want just so you can transfer, even though you can transfer anyways?

they could do what they did with guild names.

Real Example:

I have a character named Skodan on Shadowlands (was originally from Sith Meditation Sphere).

I also have a character named Skodan on Jedi Covenant

what they could do is if i transfer Skodan (from shadowlands to JC) is then have him named Skodan_SHD or something to that effect, or even possibly Skodan_Shadowlands as a way to differentiate the same name

Not sure what answer you are expecting, but ...

For the costs ...

Unless nobody pays the required coins to move their characters at all, or they lose a lot ... A LOT of players due to it - there is no reason at all to change the price for them atm.

I think I paid €25 for each toon I moved in wow, so they are not over the top with it. Other games (rift) suffered imo due to free character transfers (once a week) as ppl just jumped servers.

Nobody is forcing you to move your characters at all, or all at once ... if $100 is too much for you to be dumped into it in one part - just move one or two and the rest later on.

For the names ...

Why should you have more rights to get a name than the person who got it first and might comes back?

They might be ... in medical care, busy as hell due to their job, overseas ... whatever.

I for example pay since more than 2 years my sub for wow just to hold my toons and their names.

What they should have done in swtor (and most mmos tbh) let first names be 'common' and make the legacy name be 'unique' ... problem solved.

I am sure there are way more Bobs in the world than just the one over there to the left.

Edited by Stuffedduck

The false sense of entitlement is strong with this one.

Yes. If a character has been abandoned for a very long time, then I should be allowed to have it. Is it fair that it will never be used by anyone again? I don't believe so.

The trolling is strong with this one.

Yes. If a character has been abandoned for a very long time, then I should be allowed to have it. Is it fair that it will never be used by anyone again? I don't believe so.

The trolling is strong with this one.

No you shouldn't,

He's not trolling he's addressing your concern.

You've done the research and you know the consequences now you play a game of priorities.

What do you want more? A server transfer or your toon name?

It's very simple.

It might be both. I don't know if there's any plan for it yet without some kind of official announcement. And I've been considering and hoping for server transfers for almost a year now, which is when I started monitoring the overlapped names, and I'm certain they have been abandoned for at least that long. But no, he was trolling, or least making an unhelpful and useless comment. I should have known better than to feed him. :confused:

It might be both. I don't know if there's any plan for it yet without some kind of official announcement. And I've been considering and hoping for server transfers for almost a year now, which is when I started monitoring the overlapped names, and I'm certain they have been abandoned for at least that long. But no, he was trolling, or least making an unhelpful and useless comment. I should have known better than to feed him. :confused:

tsk,trolling,you probably don't even know what that means.

he was correct,you don't have the right to take someone else's name.

they could do what they did with guild names.

Real Example:

I have a character named Skodan on Shadowlands (was originally from Sith Meditation Sphere).

I also have a character named Skodan on Jedi Covenant

what they could do is if i transfer Skodan (from shadowlands to JC) is then have him named Skodan_SHD or something to that effect, or even possibly Skodan_Shadowlands as a way to differentiate the same name

Oops, missed this post. Yeah Skodan, that is a great idea. Not ideal, but a good compromise. I should have thought of that. :o I would like the server name to not appear to be part of the actual name, however. Something like "Kupo@The Bastion" or "Kupo from The Bastion". (Altho' I lost the name Kupo in the first round of server mergers. I'm pretty sure that one has been abandoned too. :( ) Would that interfere with titles, I wonder?

So much of a character's (and sometimes player's) identity is tied up in a name, even if you're not a roleplayer. And I would hate to have to use ASCII characters or something.

You are way off base... YOUR sense of entitlement is strong.

Hey, during the forced server merges I lost 7 out of 8 of my names, and I am positive that ALL of them are on dormant under level 30 toons that people quit playing a month after launch.

But this is a different situation. Maybe they are on break? Maybe they will come back someday. It is not fair to take their names just because you want them.

Sorry bud, but you are 100% wrong in this. Pick some new names and move on.