Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Another lost subscription

Krewel
06.18.2013 , 12:45 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Makeb is new content whether you agree with having to purchase it or not. The option is there to partake in it. If you chose not to, that is on you.
Makeb lasts for about a month, even for an average player. The replayability is just not there, especially there being no class-based stories. The two main storylines last for about 6 hours, if you do not count mowing through hundreds of mobs while trying to do the quest objectives. It is also my firm belief that an average player does not waste countless hours on completing ridiculous achievements like "kill 10000 npcs on Makeb" ... but even so, a few weeks of dailies should yield that many kills since Makeb is proud of itself on being the most congested place in the universe.
The prodigal son has returned ... some people are stuck with SWTOR, for better or worse.

Kognition - 55 Scoundrel

Regentlord
06.18.2013 , 12:46 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Screaming_Ziva View Post
Why do people who hardly post on the forums (or anyone for that matter) feel the need to write 1,500+ word essays on why they're quitting the game?
Because they have as much write to do it as you do to complain about it.

TheBBP
06.18.2013 , 12:49 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Krewel View Post
Makeb lasts for about a month, even for an average player. The replayability is just not there, especially there being no class-based stories. The two main storylines last for about 6 hours, if you do not count mowing through hundreds of mobs while trying to do the quest objectives. It is also my firm belief that an average player does not waste countless hours on completing ridiculous achievements like "kill 10000 npcs on Makeb" ... but even so, a few weeks of dailies should yield that many kills since Makeb is proud of itself on being the most congested place in the universe.
Makeb is new content whether you are happy with it's length and execution or not.
Crosswire - Republic Commando
Commander - The Way of the Maker Christian/Family-rated Guild
Ebon Hawk

Krewel
06.18.2013 , 12:58 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Makeb is new content whether you are happy with it's length and execution or not.
Makeb is new content which lasts for about a month, whether it's disguised as an expansion or DLC. Oh, and it was paid new content. The Gree event was the last piece of free content.
The prodigal son has returned ... some people are stuck with SWTOR, for better or worse.

Kognition - 55 Scoundrel

Ruskaeth
06.18.2013 , 05:04 AM | #15
I think these were fairly well summed up. I concur. Before 2.0, I was away from the game for almost three months. I posted about why I would possibly leave after I am done with the 2.0. It's been somewhat fun to do different roles on the new operation. I feel like soon the SaV grind and the endless TfB HM and soon NiM feels little fruitless? I love progression raiding but if there is no new content soon, raiding will feel less rewarding. It's an opinion of mine.

Perhaps BW could create 8 man mini-operations (3 bosses or so?) and release those every quarter alongside with major operation every 6 months? That would give guilds some incentive to do things.

With this I agree 100%.

Quote: Originally Posted by theLast View Post
There is so little to do in this 1.5 year old game. It is quite sad. Bioware, you have had a great opportunity in this game, but you dropped most of the content development team and focused on the cartel market. Maybe that has not been your decision. Maybe that is EA. But the fact remains that it is 1.5 years after release and we have 3 new operations, a planet you can finish in 4 hours, a couple new daily quest hubs and 2 new flashpoints. At some point running the same content over and over becomes more than repetitive. It becomes a slap in the face. The entire game design for this MMO is to keep doing the same thing over and over again then do it again when a new difficulty is released. That is fine as a side objective, but not as your major content.
Quote: Originally Posted by theLast View Post
Why we pay subscriptions:

No one pays a subscription just so they can pay additional money for stuff on a cash shop. Before the expansion hit, subscriptions had dropped off dramatically. People were not logging in. For the first couple weeks after the expansion populations jumped dramatically. This should tell you something. Subscriptions get paid when new content is released. When the content was cleared and people had nothing new to do, they stopped logging in again. The population levels are dropping again and the expansion is only a few months old. At some point there needs to be content updates. New missions that are worth our time to do. No, rep grinding is not new content. No, achievements are not new content. It is enforcing the paradigm of doing the same damn thing over and over and over. Sorry, but even a hamster gets tired of the wheel after a while and steps the heck off.
With this I also agree. I know there are a lot of people jumping in to test the game as a free to play and old players came back for the 2.0. However, I do see people drifting off again from endgame content. I think PVPers and lack of attention they have had would agree. The point I agree 100% with is that achievements are not new content or different difficulty levels are not new content. This once again is just an opinion and matter of perspective.

Dear BioWare CFO and CEO: What the OP of this thread is saying is that there are dynamic effects to what he is requesting and presenting as far as the business perspective is looked after. He is making a point about not taking the most secure way of developing the business of SWTOR but taking a leap of faith in concentrating on content to make more subscription exchange and to make free to play players stick and upgrade their status. Looking to the past financial data and subscription data is all good and I hope the metrics would prove that the opening post has a point and you have time to turn the tide.

kirdapeswtor
06.18.2013 , 05:09 AM | #16
Feb 1st 2012:

"It looks like Star Wars: The Old Republic is off to a decent start, with EA today touting sales topping 2 million copies since launch, 1.7 million of which are reported as "active daily users."

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/swtor-sales-feb-2012/

If you recall every purchased copy came with 1 free month of subscription, so that's 2 million subscribers initially.

July 31st 2012:

"Star Wars: the Old Republic accumulated about 1.7 million active subscribers when it launched in December 2011. By February, that figure fell to 1.3 million, with the latest figures suggesting the decline continues despite some portion of the game now free-to-play."

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...m-subscribers/

May 8th 2013:

"Frank Gibeau, the leader of the Labels division at EA, tells investors that, “Since it was induced in November, we've added more than 1.7 million new players on the free model to the service.”

He adds, “And the number of subscriptions has stabilized at just under half a million.”

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Star-...e-351533.shtml

So please stop saying people fudge the numbers Hyfy they don't lie...

Zeppelin
06.18.2013 , 06:19 AM | #17
So all that text to basically say, "there's not enough content in the game". I did that in 7 words.
Size matters not!

The first rule about Jar Jar is we don't talk about Jar Jar.

Six-Echo
06.18.2013 , 06:25 AM | #18
Why do people who hardly post on the forums (or anyone for that matter) feel the need to write 1,500+ word essays on why they're quitting the game?
Why don't you ask them in a PM instead of posting a "mommy someone has a different opinion than me, do something" type thread?

Six-Echo
06.18.2013 , 06:33 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Vassise View Post
Because its their opinion and they are a subscriber and there's nothing you can do about it apart from comment on the fact they posted. Stop whining, if you dont like it, dont read the thread. Simple as that.
This ^.

DarthTHC
06.18.2013 , 06:51 AM | #20
Possibly because it doesn't fit into the text field they give you when you cancel? At least the OP is articulate. Could have been far worse.