Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Macros for pvp, respecing, grabbing huttballs. Legal?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Macros for pvp, respecing, grabbing huttballs. Legal?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

stringcat
06.21.2013 , 06:24 PM | #221
Quote: Originally Posted by Groovykool View Post
+

Agree. Voice chat should be banned. It is unfair to those that don't have it.
Bioware wouldn't do that, because it wouldn't be in their financial interests. A huge chunk of the playerbase would quit the game--- not out of spite, but because it would be way less fun. Many people play MMOs for months and months because of the social ties they form in game. Interfering with that would make the game less "sticky."

Not everyone plays MMOs socially, of course, but those who do are more reliable subs.
Valiya Illegal Test Kitchen The Bastion

Doomsdaycomes
06.21.2013 , 06:32 PM | #222
The same problem exists with macro programs and macro keyboard/mice yet they are banned.
Do macro's not do something in the game? They push keys, which thus tell the game "Do this."

Where as voice chat does not. Bioware has no jurisdiction to say you can't use your phone and play at the same time. They can heavily suggest it, but they really have no ability to tell people they can't use a voice program, as long as the program doesn't do something in the game.

If a voice program could some how make what you said heard by everyone, then there would be a problem cause your input into that program has an out put into the game.
Player Responsibility: Players have the responsibility to strive for improvement before asking for changes.
Player Accountability: Insufficient credits, lack of gear, poor reputation, and inability to compete is the price of laziness, incompetence, and/or unwillingness.

Groovykool
06.21.2013 , 06:39 PM | #223
A Macro gives a player an advantage over other players.

Voice chat gives a player an advantage over other players.

Doomsdaycomes
06.21.2013 , 06:44 PM | #224
A Macro gives a player an advantage over other players.

Voice chat gives a player an advantage over other players.
Don't think any one is denying that.

The problem is what does Bioware have the authority to say? They can make policy about anything that has -input- into their game or somehow uses it's files.

Macro's -input- into the game. You press a key, and the macro tells the game "X, y, z, has been pushed."

Voice chat does not input into the game. It is a separate program, it doesn't do anything to the game. It runs outside the game and never touches the game.

Bioware has no authority to tell someone they can't use a voice program because it's not in their realm of control. That's all.
Player Responsibility: Players have the responsibility to strive for improvement before asking for changes.
Player Accountability: Insufficient credits, lack of gear, poor reputation, and inability to compete is the price of laziness, incompetence, and/or unwillingness.

funkiestj
06.21.2013 , 06:46 PM | #225
+

Agree. Voice chat should be banned. It is unfair to those that don't have it.
good luck with having my Windows 7 SWTOR client try to block my ventrilo, teamspeak, mumble or skype client on my iphone.

There is also conference calling options on the traditional telephone system (e.g. I dial into one of these for my leagues annual fantasy football draft). Don't forget to block LAN parties as they enable VOA (voice over air) technology that humans have been using since the dawn of man.

Quote: Originally Posted by bsbrad View Post
That would be funny, knocking someone down 10 valor ranks everytime they get caught might be enough to deter them
What is valor? Do I need it for anything useful?

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Groovykool
06.21.2013 , 06:53 PM | #226
Quote: Originally Posted by Doomsdaycomes View Post
Voice chat does not input into the game. It is a separate program, it doesn't do anything to the game. It runs outside the game and never touches the game.
Sorry i'm so stubborn.

Example, Mumble adds graphic overlays right on the SWTOR UI. That gives me even more advantage. I can see which teammates are using voice and who is speaking.

Doomsdaycomes
06.21.2013 , 06:58 PM | #227
Sorry i'm so stubborn.

Example, Mumble adds graphic overlays right on the SWTOR UI. That gives me even more advantage. I can see which teammates are using voice and who is speaking.
Does it modify the client in any way?

If so, then there's an issue.

If not, it's still not in BW's realm of control.

It's like someone commiting a crime in mexico, a New York police officer doesn't have the authority to legally do anything about it even if he knew it happened.

PoliteAssasin
06.21.2013 , 07:08 PM | #228
So I'm going to be sending video evidence of a player using this to Bioware via ticket, is there another way for us to report this or is it strictly in game? There used to be a CS email but I don't see it anymore.
D E M A V E N D O B E R Y N

sanchito
06.21.2013 , 07:24 PM | #229
Sorry i'm so stubborn.

if you install the overlay in ts3 you get pretty dire warning, so i suppose this could very well be illegal

http://imgur.com/OBd16Mc

Jenzali
06.21.2013 , 07:39 PM | #230
How rebinding the mouse wheel? I have heard complaints of people using a mouse binding such as this. In WoW, such a thing was not considered an exploit because of the 1-to-1 mapping and immediate response (no sequences or waits), however it does provide a sizable advantage to the player using this binding.

Use case 1
  • Click event bindings
    • Mouse wheel up - Right click
    • Mouse wheel down - Right click
  • User positions mouse cursor over the Huttball spawn
  • User rapidly scrolls the mouse wheel up or down to send right click events at an incredibly quick speed
  • There is no waiting or sequence pressing involved, there is a 1-to-1 mapping of mouse events to output events

[ ] Allowed by ToS
[ ] Prohibited by ToS
[ ] Example not clear enough to give a ruling
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.