Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Macros for pvp, respecing, grabbing huttballs. Legal?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Macros for pvp, respecing, grabbing huttballs. Legal?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Glower
06.21.2013 , 04:02 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post

One click 'enter chat, type 'inc snow!', hit enter' text macros designed to warn others is completely against the ToS. You need to make a decision - do I take the time to type 'inc snow' to the ops group, or do I just keep fighting this person... Think of it as an evaluation on if you are using a tool that gives you an unfair advantage over somebody not using that same tool.
I dont use macros, but chat message? Really?
This is real bs.

How about voice comm advantages (pug vs rwz premade) or 10-finger typing vs 2/4-finger advantage?

Quote:
Also, is copying and pasting text into the chat window not allowed either?
^this
SWTOR goes F2P: http://i.imgur.com/1962X.jpg
A: "They’d love to do that at some point, but technically very challenging and unlikely to happen in the near future." (c)
PvP FAQ, A: "We have no plans at this time" (c)

RodneyMcNeely
06.21.2013 , 04:14 PM | #212
Quote: Originally Posted by Phillip_BW View Post

Interesting approach there funkiestj.

I thought I was pretty clear that one input action must equal only one action in game, but obviously not - so please find below red X's next to the correct answers.

Enjoy!
I'm a wrestler and competitor by nature, and I'm the kind of guy that wants to win ON MY OWN. That said, I think it's almost schizophrenic to market a gaming device SPECIFICALLY TO THIS GAME that contains a set of functions, then turn around and declare said function illegal within your game. That make NO sense at all.

I have a simiple 7-button Logitech gaming mouse that does everything I need it to, but I wouldn't macro even if it were possible because it offends my sense of fairness.

However, I think - instead of expecting people to abide by arbitrary rules that are as crazy as they can be - you guys should just pony up the staff to code that stuff out. You don't want people using macros in your game: then fix what makes it possible instead of going all psycho on people that are using the hardware YOU GUYS MARKETED FOR THIS GAME.

When it comes to hacking and stuff, though, I hope you drop the hammer on anyone you catch. Thanks for your time.

P.S.: You wanna know why we complain about this stuff? Because we love this game. It needs a TON of fixing, but you guys have done a LOT of things right. Kudos for that.

P.P.S.: Phillip, I know you're just the messenger so I'm not leveling my complaints at you personally. When I use the term "you" or "you guys" I mean "whoever makes the rules and is responsible for fixing things". Take care!

funkiestj
06.21.2013 , 04:39 PM | #213
note, I corrected
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post

[ ] example to clear enough to give a ruling

to
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post

[ ] example not clear enough to give a ruling
In my original post. Sadly the typo still appears in Phillip's quoted response. My bad.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Glzmo
06.21.2013 , 05:15 PM | #214
Quote: Originally Posted by TrooperSev View Post
Since voips don't use any information from swtor, it would be impossible to track on their end even if they did want to stop it.
TOR actually had code in beta that prevented popular voice communication programs from functioning while the TOR client was active (I'm not saying this was a good idea, on the contrary). Thus tracking such things would certainly be possible, although quite intrusive (not that EA cares about that). It would be much better if there was an in-game voice communication solution that would make third party programs obsolete.

ViciousFett
06.21.2013 , 05:27 PM | #215
As someone that uses text macros for /emotes I'm now worried about getting detected by your idiot detection system. I've already had friends get banned for opening treasure chests on Corellia and being assumed credit farmers.

PLEASE make toolbar abilities for all emotes if you're going to be scanning for text spam, cause I like to spam /backflip!
The Vicious Legacy
Random'hajile - Aeons - Gillian'Seed - Nati - Pirate'bay - Romana'II - Casaiss - Ghost-chops - TVC'onefive - Cookėepuss
CE VIP

Alericus
06.21.2013 , 05:41 PM | #216
Considering the QQ Im seeing defending this stuff...Im fairly sure we've hit a nerve. Bioware you have commented on this...now the challenge is how to prevent it. I agree with other posters and comments where players have said L2P...Learn to Play..not rely on macros , bots or software to play for you or give you that advantage no one else gets.

I suggest this, find a fix, let everyone know its in place, test it if it works roll it out and let players try a month where no one can use this stuff. If matches suck well then you can always reverse it but then show everyone how to do it. Lets level the field and really make it about skill.

Otherwise I say the game should stay forever in preseason because now I have absolutely no faith in the rankings Im seeing or the play Im seeing.

Finally once this system was in place, don't ban players using it just reset their ranks and valour, Im fairly sure theyd get the message soon enough
Alaricus
"Through Strength I Gain Power!"

bsbrad
06.21.2013 , 05:56 PM | #217
Quote: Originally Posted by Alericus View Post
Finally once this system was in place, don't ban players using it just reset their ranks and valour, Im fairly sure theyd get the message soon enough
That would be funny, knocking someone down 10 valor ranks everytime they get caught might be enough to deter them
N'abi - N'bi - Nabi - X'abi - Na'i
Quartermaster - Solatium - Begeren Colony
The answer is easy the question is not.....

Groovykool
06.21.2013 , 06:05 PM | #218
Quote: Originally Posted by Exly View Post
I agree that text macros should be against the TOS. I also agree with others who think that VOIP gives an even greater advantage to player's using it in warzones than the advantage obtained by players that use text macros. So, if text macros violate the TOS then the use of VOIP during warzones should also be considered a violation.

Think of it as an evaluation on if you are using a tool (like text macros or VOIP) that gives you an unfair advantage over somebody not using that same tool (like text macros and VOIP do).
+

Agree. Voice chat should be banned. It is unfair to those that don't have it.

Doomsdaycomes
06.21.2013 , 06:11 PM | #219
Quote: Originally Posted by Groovykool View Post
+

Agree. Voice chat should be banned. It is unfair to those that don't have it.
Problem is that's unenforceable. Voice software is something that is used for many, many other things and doesn't directly influence the game (use it's files, or perform an action with in it).

Bioware would have to block every kind of voice program from running at the same time, and that's one **** storm they can't afford to even try and pursue.

Not to mention, PvE'ers are gonna hate you PvP'ers.
Player Responsibility: Players have the responsibility to strive for improvement before asking for changes.
Player Accountability: Insufficient credits, lack of gear, poor reputation, and inability to compete is the price of laziness, incompetence, and/or unwillingness.

Groovykool
06.21.2013 , 06:24 PM | #220
Quote: Originally Posted by Doomsdaycomes View Post
Problem is that's unenforceable. Voice software is something that is used for many, many other things and doesn't directly influence the game (use it's files, or perform an action with in it).

Bioware would have to block every kind of voice program from running at the same time, and that's one **** storm they can't afford to even try and pursue.
The same problem exists with macro programs and macro keyboard/mice yet they are banned.