Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Macros for pvp, respecing, grabbing huttballs. Legal?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Macros for pvp, respecing, grabbing huttballs. Legal?
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lionflash
06.21.2013 , 09:09 AM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by Sine_Nomen View Post
Respeccing isnt the issue; automating the process of respeccing is the issue.
Why? It doesn't imbalance PVP. It doesn't deal damage or stun an enemy... There are games which have it already. I understand having 1 button perform 3 actions. That's like playing Mortal Kombat and having 1 button perform a 20-hit-combo. But why is speeding up your respect considered against the rules?

TUXs
06.21.2013 , 09:13 AM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
Why? It doesn't imbalance PVP. It doesn't deal damage or stun an enemy... There are games which have it already. I understand having 1 button perform 3 actions. That's like playing Mortal Kombat and having 1 button perform a 20-hit-combo. But why is speeding up your respect considered against the rules?
I'm curious about this as well...WHY? I can respec my skills in under a minute because I've done it so often, who really is hurt by someone doing it FASTER than that?
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force
My referral code: here What you get: here (1 free transfer/7-day sub/Jumpstart and Preferred Bundles)

funkiestj
06.21.2013 , 09:57 AM | #173
Quote: Originally Posted by Lionflash View Post
It is against the rules because the rule makers say so. Perhaps you mean to ask "is this a good rule that makes the game more interesting? Is how quickly a person can click the buttons to respec an interesting area of competition"?

BTW, I bet this girl would pwn me at respeccing. Personally, how quickly you can click all the buttons to change spec is not an area I'm interested in competing.

I liked the person who suggested the the huttball grab should be a short channelled ability. I'm also interested in hearing back about whether lag is a significant factor in successfully grabbing the huttball. If it is, the channelled grab would be a good change.

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Chaos_Distortion
06.21.2013 , 09:59 AM | #174
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaos_Distortion View Post
This would be a non-issue if they actually implemented dual specs like they promised months ago, but we still don't have them yet.. What's so hard about implementing a dual spec system, so we can change specs on the run? WoW implemented it easily and so did Rift, so why hasn't Bioware been able to do it yet?
No one is hurt by having respecs on the run, WOW already has a dual spec system, Rift goes even further by having more than just dual specs (They have multiple role switching.), so I still don't understand why we don't have dual specs, when they were promised to us months ago (Like a year ago in an upcoming patch.). I guess Bioware just forgot about this broken promise, since people stopped reminding them about it.
Empathetic (Chaos Legacy): 50 Scoundrel (Sawbones) Healer, Empathetic: 50 Sage (Seer) Healer on Helm of Graush and various other Alts.
Been playing pvp Support/Healing in nearly every MMO since 1997 UO.

Macroeconomics
06.21.2013 , 10:14 AM | #175
Quote: Originally Posted by Chaos_Distortion View Post
No one is hurt by having respecs on the run
No. Currently 99% of the pvp population is hurt because they are obeying the ToS and do not have respec on the run capability while 1% of the pvp population does because they violate the ToS.

A level playing field would be for either all players have access to immediate field respec via dual-specs being enabled via in game code *OR* field respec is banned within a warzone.

bsbrad
06.21.2013 , 10:29 AM | #176
Quote: Originally Posted by JackNader View Post
Look guys, this has been stated many times now by multiple Bioware employees.

setting up a macro that binds multiple keys to one button is perfectly acceptable.

eg.
pressing button 1 spams 123456789.

Setting up a macro to automate rotations is not..

eg.

You press a button on your mouse and the software implements
Press key 1 -> delay 1.5 seconds -> press key 2 -> delay 1.5 seconds -press key 3 - etc, etc

A LOT of players already do bind many keys to 1 button. The only issue is that your screen fills up with red text which is extremely annoying. You also have no control over what ability fires when. Generally this is ok because a lot of Swtor's button mashing is mindless anyway and it doesn't matter what fires when. Sometimes it does matter and in these cases it is always best to bind the ability to a single button.
This is explicitly forbidden or did you not read Philips post, one key == one ability, pressing one key (or button press) to do a sequence of events is a macro and is forbidden.

For instance, I have shortcut keys mapped as X - interrupt, C - Single Taunt, Z - Cleanse/AOE Taunt, I am not allowed to create a macro that does these 3 abilities in any order by pressing a single button irregardless of the delay timer between them. To allow this behaviour leads you down a slippery slope as it becomes a nightmare to decide what is legitimate and what is not, especially if we are basing it on delay timers from 3rd party software.

C'mon guys, I know PVP is competitive but lets try to compete on as even a footing as we can and not rely on algorithms from peripheral manufacturers, or finding ways to exploit any loophole in the current engine.
N'abi
Harbinger
The answer is easy the question is not....oh who am I kidding!!!.

funkiestj
06.21.2013 , 10:32 AM | #177
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroeconomics View Post
No. Currently 99% of the pvp population is hurt because they are obeying the ToS and do not have respec on the run capability while 1% of the pvp population does because they violate the ToS.

A level playing field would be for either all players have access to immediate field respec via dual-specs being enabled via in game code *OR* field respec is banned within a warzone.
or ... <wait for it> .... for the existing rule against respec macros to be enforced enough that very few people used them.

The fundamental problem with the existing regime is the Tour de France problem. Violation of this rule is widespread (IMO) because enforcement is lax or non-existent.

I won't weigh in on the technical feasibility and cost (BW security staff hours) of enforcing this rule, I will simply point out that an unenforced (or very laxly enforced) rule punishes rule followers and rewards rule breakers. This problem can be solved by changing the rule or performing sufficient enforcement.

Any bets on when Phillip makes another post that answers some of our yes/no binary questions?

Mr. Hat says "BW support is the best"!
I am a bad player, so what?

Maelael
06.21.2013 , 10:40 AM | #178
Quote: Originally Posted by funkiestj View Post
or ... <wait for it> .... for the existing rule against respec macros to be enforced enough that very few people used them.

The fundamental problem with the existing regime is the Tour de France problem. Violation of this rule is widespread (IMO) because enforcement is lax or non-existent.

I won't weigh in on the technical feasibility and cost (BW security staff hours) of enforcing this rule, I will simply point out that an unenforced (or very laxly enforced) rule punishes rule followers and rewards rule breakers. This problem can be solved by changing the rule or performing sufficient enforcement.

Any bets on when Phillip makes another post that answers some of our yes/no binary questions?
Funny you outline enforcement.

Two other games didn't enforce their no-exploiting rule. One game had this result in tons of max level mains and alts in a few weeks (where this normally took several months of hard work), another ended up tanking their economy for years. Everyone who didn't exploit feels overly stupid for not doing so, and is at a gear/level disadvantage.

Some games just ban for 1-3 days and everyone just lols it off and continues exploiting. None of those games are taken seriously.

I'd like my PvP to be exploit, hack, and macro free - or at least just legalize macros. I'm fine either way, but the lack of enforcement on those that do take advantage vs the people who try and play the game legally (and usually fail vs the exploiters) is rather discouraging. It's tempting to look up some macro programs, but I'd be afraid I'd quit outta "This is too easy and boring".

cashogy_reborn
06.21.2013 , 10:46 AM | #179
Quote: Originally Posted by TUXs View Post
I'm curious about this as well...WHY? I can respec my skills in under a minute because I've done it so often, who really is hurt by someone doing it FASTER than that?
if i write a script that allows me to respec and have my toolbar organized in 5-10s, yeah that is a huge advantage.

looks like im about to be outnumbered on defense? quick respec to heals.

looks like we have the advantage again? quick respec to DPS.

imo, respec shouldnt be allowed in wzs anyways. this game is already defensive enough without have everyone respecing to a defensive spec the first chance they have to turtle up.
Dany - Attomm - Dan'y - Fogel
The Original Stormborn Commando Representative
The King of Bads

bsbrad
06.21.2013 , 11:01 AM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by cashogy_reborn View Post
if i write a script that allows me to respec and have my toolbar organized in 5-10s, yeah that is a huge advantage.

looks like im about to be outnumbered on defense? quick respec to heals.

looks like we have the advantage again? quick respec to DPS.

imo, respec shouldnt be allowed in wzs anyways. this game is already defensive enough without have everyone respecing to a defensive spec the first chance they have to turtle up.
100% agree, I would prefer them to remove respeccing completely in WZs but as this isn't going to happen, no respeccing once the countdown timer has started. And that includes Mr. Pop out of combat with stealth guy.

I did have an *** moment the other day when fighting a sin and they used their pop out of combat and 60s CC on me as he was about to die. I hate stealthers
N'abi
Harbinger
The answer is easy the question is not....oh who am I kidding!!!.