Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Building a very cheap PC for SW:ToR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Building a very cheap PC for SW:ToR

darkacetone
06.17.2013 , 02:44 PM | #1
Hello everyone. Last week I downloaded and tried SW:ToR and decided to stay. Problem is, as I haven't played anything on PC in ages, needed a machine for work and internet browsing, not gaming, I have a simple setup. It's something like:
- one core ~1.4 GHz CPU
- 2 GB RAM
- integrated GPU
- Windows 7

I gave you the specs not because I want to upgrade this, but to say that on this PC, SW:ToR works *almost* well. Like, it needs just a bit more power to be fine with the game. Of course it's all on minimal graphic settings, but it was hugely surprising to me after hundreds of posts in which people were saying what a minimal requirements for this game are.

I would like to build something on which the game can run at low-to-middle graphic settings nicely. I have rather limited resources at the moment (200 British Pounds). 1280x768 resolution without AA, AF or shadows, maybe in high details if possible.

Simple Intel Dual Core CPU with 2/4 GBs of RAM don't cost that much here and should totally do for now. What I'm most unsure about is GPU. What is the cheapest graphic card I can buy which can provide an acceptable level of experience? Any help you can give is appreciated.

CaptRavenous
06.17.2013 , 04:55 PM | #2
Go to your local PC parts store, they will probably have a selection of older, though more than adequate, PC cards. I would suggest a Nvidia card. You should be able to find one for under 150 pounds (which is below 100$ here in Canada, and pretty cheap for a video card), probably in the series 3 or 4 range of Nvidia Cards.

GPU won't do you much good, though, without the RAM to support it. You need to double your RAM, at the very least, if you want to play this game in the mid-graphics range.

With a new video card, you might also need a new power supply. I would suggest saving your money for a bit longer, I doubt 200 pounds will be enough to get what you want.

There's also the problem that your motherboard may not support newer video cards, it sounds like your system is pretty old.

Just unhook your tower, take it in to your local PC parts dealer, have him look it over and see what he suggests.

Good luck to you!
THE GREYWALKER CONCLAVE- Master Zarchon Greywalker
HOUSE OF XARDOX - Darth Xardox

BEGEREN COLONY ROLE PLAY SERVER - west coast

darkacetone
06.17.2013 , 05:10 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by CaptRavenous View Post
There's also the problem that your motherboard may not support newer video cards, it sounds like your system is pretty old.
Thanks for answering! Although I'm not upgrading that machine, I'm building a new one.

VigDiath
06.17.2013 , 06:06 PM | #4
Since you don't want to upgrade your current PC and are looking for something within a certain price range, I would suggest looking at a pre-built rig with just enough power to get by. 200 pounds in US dollars (I looked it up) would get you something like this to start off (at least here):

Gateway SX2865-UR348 Desktop PC - Intel Pentium G630 2.70GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 8 64-bit, Keyboard & Mouse, (DT.GDPAA.005)

It's Dual Core (which was a requirement when I first started playing on my older laptop in BETA)
Graphics are integrated so it's not the most ideal card but it would allow for the game to be played and run on low settings.
RAM and HDD space are fine. The one listed above is from a site called Tiger Direct. Not sure what they have over there that would offer the same to fit your needs.

Only reason I say buy pre-build with that budget is because a good graphics card to run this game, coupled with a good motherboard, casing, power supply, RAM, HDD are gonna run you upwards of $400 USD. A pre-build may fit your budget needs.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

darkacetone
06.17.2013 , 06:36 PM | #5
Did anyone play SWToR or a similarly demanding game on Radeon 6670 and can comment on its performance?

Quantum
06.17.2013 , 09:03 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by darkacetone View Post
Did anyone play SWToR or a similarly demanding game on Radeon 6670 and can comment on its performance?
I'm on a 5770 run everything in High and have no issues except when it's crowded on Fleet.

sspayne
06.17.2013 , 09:57 PM | #7
I have a Asus tower with a AMD A-8 5500 quad core processor running at 3.2 GHZ 12 GB of memory and 1 gb dedicated for graphics and I can only run this game in very low graphic. But yet I can run Diablo 3 in high graphic the tower does have Windows 8 but still I should be able to run this game in at the very least low graphics not very low. The game also freezes up on me. So I have no idea what Bioware is thinking. I think they need more servers but that's me.

Noblis
06.17.2013 , 10:05 PM | #8
OP, if you are still looking to build something new, please try this resource. Ask around for help.
http://www.reddit.com/r/BuildaPC
I am not familiar with it personally, but the staffer which threw it my way says it's a good bet.
If you need the best deal on a specific item, just ask.
Hold up ! If we save Han now, there won't be anything for us to do at the beginning
of ROTJ !

Dismayven
06.18.2013 , 08:12 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by VigDiath View Post
Since you don't want to upgrade your current PC and are looking for something within a certain price range, I would suggest looking at a pre-built rig with just enough power to get by. 200 pounds in US dollars (I looked it up) would get you something like this to start off (at least here):

Gateway SX2865-UR348 Desktop PC - Intel Pentium G630 2.70GHz, 4GB DDR3, 500GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 8 64-bit, Keyboard & Mouse, (DT.GDPAA.005)

It's Dual Core (which was a requirement when I first started playing on my older laptop in BETA)
Graphics are integrated so it's not the most ideal card but it would allow for the game to be played and run on low settings.
RAM and HDD space are fine. The one listed above is from a site called Tiger Direct. Not sure what they have over there that would offer the same to fit your needs.

Only reason I say buy pre-build with that budget is because a good graphics card to run this game, coupled with a good motherboard, casing, power supply, RAM, HDD are gonna run you upwards of $400 USD. A pre-build may fit your budget needs.
lol a gateway, yes suggest that they purchase from the worst computer company in the world....haha

VigDiath
06.18.2013 , 09:49 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Dismayven View Post
lol a gateway, yes suggest that they purchase from the worst computer company in the world....haha
I like your suggestion as well which was....wait...no suggestion?

Anyway, I'm not suggesting a Gateway, I'm showing what's available for his budget according to what I see.

I'll be waiting for your suggestion as well
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)